Volvo

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
If going the fresh water cooling (FWC) route you buy a kit for the specific engine.

The water jacket surrounding the engine will be closed (as in a car) and circulating by the engine water pump, containing at all times an antifreeze mix of 50:50 (or as per the text on the can). Note that undiluted antifreeze will not provide antifreeze properties.

Seawater is then picked up and (by the raw water impeller pump) run through a strainer to the heat exchanger(s) (coolers) where it removes heat from the antifreeze and is sent out, mixed with the exhaust.

Since the sea water circuit has no thermostat or other tasks to do, it is straightforward to pour antifreeze mix into the strainer at idle until the leaving water shows the colour of the antifreeze (commonly done on the hard.)

Here is a so-called Half system, - Full systems include the manifolds into the engine water jacket as well:
1702370889806.png

ss2016

Visit site
Chrome Dome, I have long looked for a diagram like that. Thank you. I presume it is generic or was it a VP specific one? I have a D6-400 and it mostly applies but I would really like to find such a diagram for my engine. It's the charge air cooler I don't fully understand. One question, what is the 'P/S cooler'?

ChromeDome

Visit site
Chrome Dome, I have long looked for a diagram like that. Thank you. I presume it is generic or was it a VP specific one? I have a D6-400 and it mostly applies but I would really like to find such a diagram for my engine. It's the charge air cooler I don't fully understand. One question, what is the 'P/S cooler'?
Generic it is.

P/S might be Power Steering

ChromeDome

Visit site
When the intake air is compressed by a compressor or turbo, it heats up. Hot air reduces the efficiency of the fuel, which is why it is cooled in an intercooler/intercooler (in principle just a radiator). On a boat, cooling is done by antifreeze, instead of passing wind (like on cars) that removes heat from the intake air.

1702380343990.png

ss2016

Visit site
A D6-400 without FWC. Really?
If you deduced that from my last reply we miscommunicated.
What I would really like to see is a VP diagram showing the complete flow of the fresh and salt water through the entire system INCLUDING the charge air cooler of a D6-400. I don't think it exists though.

Fire99

Visit site
From my understanding (and a bit of Google forum searching) it's a marinised Chevy 350 engine, much like my old Volvo Penta 5.0 was a marinised Chevy 305 engine. If you have head issues wouldn't a company that deals with US car engines be able to help?

Coldevolution

Visit site
From my understanding (and a bit of Google forum searching) it's a marinised Chevy 350 engine, much like my old Volvo Penta 5.0 was a marinised Chevy 305 engine. If you have head issues wouldn't a company that deals with US car engines be able to help?
Would depend on what the issue is and checks to confirm Chevy match up on things like Casting numbers.. Hoping for me I have a vortec 880 block cast.

Seastoke

Visit site
Are they commonly used by stock Car racers.

ChromeDome

Visit site
I don't think there's any doubt that GM V8's can be solid. However, customized to one or the other use will make them less universal and those built for racing with compressors, heavy cams and big fuel systems for extreme rpm running on a track might not be perfect for marine use.

For marine use I'd build it specifically for that. Or order one that is.

Fire99

Visit site
Are they commonly used by stock Car racers.
They're used in a million different applications.. From mini vans to the 80's Camaros and Corvettes etc..
My 5.0 which was badged as a Volvo Penta was a 5.0 as per the Camaro. Personally I'd give someone like :
American V8 Engines a contact as they will know what's what with American V8 engines...

I saved a fortune using UK sourced Chevy service parts and just Volvo Penta for the marinised parts (Exhaust manifolds etc)..

You don't need to go anywhere near racing engines..

GrahamHR

Visit site
They're used in a million different applications.. From mini vans to the 80's Camaros and Corvettes etc..
My 5.0 which was badged as a Volvo Penta was a 5.0 as per the Camaro. Personally I'd give someone like :
American V8 Engines a contact as they will know what's what with American V8 engines...

I saved a fortune using UK sourced Chevy service parts and just Volvo Penta for the marinised parts (Exhaust manifolds etc)..

You don't need to go anywhere near racing engines..
This "Gi-E" engine dates from around late 2002 to early 2003. My 5.7 GXi-F engine was in a 2004 boat, built in late 2003. It is for sure a late type GM V8, as are the Mercruiser versions. All mechanical parts of the engine are the same as for road going cars of that era ( apart from the marine bits, of course). The distributor is the same, apart from a "spark arrestor" on the drain hole in its body; a simple metal mesh.

Fire99

Visit site
This "Gi-E" engine dates from around late 2002 to early 2003. My 5.7 GXi-F engine was in a 2004 boat, built in late 2003. It is for sure a late type GM V8, as are the Mercruiser versions. All mechanical parts of the engine are the same as for road going cars of that era ( apart from the marine bits, of course). The distributor is the same, apart from a "spark arrestor" on the drain hole in its body; a simple metal mesh.
Good info to know..

Coldevolution

Visit site
Update. Marine guy called today and stripped off the head for a look. Well cracked head... I attached the number I can see on the end of the block looks like 10243880 which I have heard the 880 also know as a vortex engine many times. Now need to research to see if I can get a long block... Thank you guys for all the help... will let you know how we get on..

Attachments

• 5.7.png
    5.7.png
    248.1 KB · Views: 15

Coldevolution

Visit site
Need a bit of advice again... so sorry.
Found this engine long block... which will need the marinized parts bolted on.
This one in Germany is 1800 plus shipping... Do not need brand new engine to put into 2006 crown 220...
ATK High Performance GM 350 390 HP Stage 1 Long Block Crate Engines HP89

Found this one on euro marine same thing but very expensive what am I missing..
GM 5.7L V8 Vortec new Base Engine, marineparts.eu

Vortec is GM build that Volvo and Merc use so I understand. Just need to move this forward...Season coming in.... Any advice from those that know would be great...Thank you