Volvo Tamd74P fuel injection pump timing

Alanarkison

Visit site
Does anyone have the workshop manual for the VP Tamd74P fuel injection system..I want to know how to time the fuel injection pump when reinstalling. It's not in the main workshop manual. Seems there's a separate one for fuel systems

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
You need to hire the special tools to do this but to be honest unless the split the drive coupling in the wrong place the timing will be the same as you only need to undo the two bolts from the coupling to the pump drive flange .
If you have to do it you need two people, one on the crank pulley and one looking at the tool , it’s electric m, it’s a simple light signal inserted into the pump . You can actually use a pin punch !! , one engine the port will be easy as you can see the timing marks on the flywheel, the starboard will be very difficult in your boat , you will need a mirror and all the furniture out along with the extra floor piece over the fuel tank , Been there done that . If it starts ok from cold I doubt very much it’s the pump timing . I’ve been talking to a Scotsman today who mention this problem to me .

Alanarkison

Visit site
Any good? Ignore the file name. It includes the 74
Thanks but I've got that one. There's a separate fuel injection. manual
You need to hire the special tools to do this but to be honest unless the split the drive coupling in the wrong place the timing will be the same as you only need to undo the two bolts from the coupling to the pump drive flange .
If you have to do it you need two people, one on the crank pulley and one looking at the tool , it’s electric m, it’s a simple light signal inserted into the pump . You can actually use a pin punch !! , one engine the port will be easy as you can see the timing marks on the flywheel, the starboard will be very difficult in your boat , you will need a mirror and all the furniture out along with the extra floor piece over the fuel tank , Been there done that . If it starts ok from cold I doubt very much it’s the pump timing . I’ve been talking to a Scotsman today who mention this problem to me .
Thanks Paul, it is indeed the same Fairline we were talking about. I got sent a manual late this afternoon for the 72P EDC and told the timing instructions were the same by a friend. I could see that you need the special tools but while reading the manual and thought that if you marked the pump side of the drive coupling and the engine side then it would pretty much go back in the same place. Only reason why we may have to remove the pumps is that they were overhauled by a company down south but were being told that the speed sensors had low resistance. Just wanting to make sure we have all documentation just in case that's the avenue we have to go down.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Thanks but I've got that one. There's a separate fuel injection. manual

Thanks Paul, it is indeed the same Fairline we were talking about. I got sent a manual late this afternoon for the 72P EDC and told the timing instructions were the same by a friend. I could see that you need the special tools but while reading the manual and thought that if you marked the pump side of the drive coupling and the engine side then it would pretty much go back in the same place. Only reason why we may have to remove the pumps is that they were overhauled by a company down south but were being told that the speed sensors had low resistance. Just wanting to make sure we have all documentation just in case that's the avenue we have to go down.
If MB fuel did them they will be spot on , the pump attaches to the shaft with 2 bolts so you cannot get it wrong , well only 180 degrees then it definitely won’t start . I cannot see it being the pump .