Volvo sterngland hot

whiteoaks7

www.seasolutions.co.uk
My brand new Volvo sterngland runs at about 50c measured with an ir thermometer on the outside surface. Greased and burped as required. Is this normal? I didn't expect it to get hot at all. Previous gland was stuffing box.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
sounds hot to me - do you mean the shaft or the rubber sterngland? Assuming you have sized it correctly then I wonder about alignment of the rubber 'cutless' bearing inside the sterngland with the shaft..

jakeroyd

Visit site
I have one which i have never checked with IR but i have felt it after a long spell of motoring.
It was warm. Difficult to say if it was 50c.
Just a shot in the dark , are you sure it's the correct size , ie. not a s5mm gland with a 1" (25.4) shaft ?
No excessive vibration or shaft missalingment ?

Otherwsie if it's working Ok and not leaking just keep an eye on it............

jakeroyd

Visit site
Are you sure it was burped properly , did you get all the air out and only spurts of water left ?
The seal has 2 lip seals and a comparatively long 'guide section'.
Can't see the seal lips generating too much heat but the guide section , maybe.

See this cross section

20150314_095627_zpsxr9f6pdc.jpg

Spyro

Visit site
I don't have a Volvo seal but I would say 50c is hot to the touch. With all that cold water up to the lip seals on the inside I would think something is wrong if it's 50c on the outside.

bikesherpa

Visit site
Hi,
I have a 30mm volvo seal on my sailboat and frequently check its temperature with an IR meter.
The temperature of the seal is typically 33-35C in summer when motor cruising at about 1200 shaft rpm (2500 engine rpm) for many hours with a near perfect shaft alignment.
Sometimes back I cruised with a gross misalignment in the shaft (about 0.6mm) and the seal temperature was hotter at about 42-45C. I also accidentally ran for about 15 minutes with air trapped in the seal and in that case the temperature went up to about 55C.

Last edited:

Heckler

Visit site
My brand new Volvo sterngland runs at about 50c measured with an ir thermometer on the outside surface. Greased and burped as required. Is this normal? I didn't expect it to get hot at all. Previous gland was stuffing box.
Not normal. Mine runs just a touch warm and that after a few hours running! I changed it 18 months ago before coming to Portugal. Crossing Biscay, the first day and night we sailed then the wind changed to on the nose, I put the donk on. It was on for two days and nights. After the first 24 hrs there was a noise, I checked the seal,it was hot, like yours. i greased it and burped it, there was a lot of air in it! It then worked fine all the rest of the way to La Coruna. Going down the Spanish and Portugueses coast I did this a couple of times. Even though Bene have a water bleed pipe in it it seems to have an issue with needing burping if running for a long time. i checked the alignment of the engine whilst in the water. It is ok
S