Volvo QL300 bow thruster oil

ajay

Visit site
Anyone changed the oil in their volvo QL bow thruster in recent years?

These trusters are very old, long discontinued, as is the recomended volvo bowthruster oil. Is it safe to use Ventus "special gearbox oil VBT05" instead?

The Vetus one says spec is 80W-90 API GL-5

While I remember seeing a Penta bulletin stating ISO 150 ?

thanks

Andyroonot

Visit site
Hi ajay - yes, the VP supplied oil is now obsolete, and the bulletin you refer to does recommend SP 150 Oil.jpg

EDIT - hopefully you can enlarge that image to view it, but its a screenshot of the bulletin confirming 0.2L of 'Castrol Alpha SP 150'

ajay

Visit site
Thanks Andy, when I search for "Castrol Alpha SP 150" it seems only available in very large volumes. So was wondering from experience if anyone knows where to by 1/2 or 1/4 litre and ideally a link where I can buy small amounts.

ajay

Visit site
Not sure if viscosity of 150 the only requirement?

If I look up the recomended replacement Castrol Alpha SP 15 the specs are here ...

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...ED1E80257796002F4AA1/$File/Alpha SP range.pdf

but I don't understand how to translate these specs to the metrics used by other oils, eg is this equivalent ...

https://www.vetus-shop.com/vetus-special-gearbox-oil-ep90-05-litre-p-2241.html

or this ...

https://www.force4.co.uk/quicksilve...MI-JidvNCI4AIVB7XtCh281QlFEAQYBSABEgKU0vD_BwE

or this ...

https://www.force4.co.uk/quicksilve...MI-JidvNCI4AIVB7XtCh281QlFEAQYAiABEgJk0fD_BwE

What are other owners with volvo QL thrusters actually using?

Thanks

Momac

Visit site
What are other owners with volvo QL thrusters actually using?

A small bottle of the QL branded stuff came with my boat. I used most of it for top up as I had a small leak which was cured by tightening the clip on the hose to the oil reservoir. Since then the oil level has been stable.
I don't think it necessary to change the oil for such a little used item .

Correct me if I am wrong but I think ISO 150 is a measure of viscosity .

ajay

Visit site
yep 150 is the viscosity

funny mine also leaked very slowly at the bottle, so used to run down the pipe. Still don’t think the bottle is very robust.

on mine I don’t believe the oil has ever been changed from new (~2007) i’ve read several posts advising it makes sense to change every few years. I expect the oil in the thruster would be black and worth replacing. It’s always worth taking a look at the oil to know if water is getting in or excess metal wear etc. So with the boat out for winter think i’ll have a look at the oil.

eg

https://youtu.be/43dVn2S0bV0

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
An interesting video. It does demonstrate the oil in the gearbox may be black while the oil in the reservoir looks clean. I am still not convinced a regular oil change is essential but the video has changed my thoughts . It seems an easy job to do so will have a go next time the boat is out.

Perhaps it would be better to drain all the oil from the gearbox while adding fresh oil at the same time to prevent the oil level falling below the bottom of the reservoir . This would avoid the air in the pipe and avoid risk of an air pocket in the gearbox. Probably a two person job with one on the drain plug and the other keeping an eye on the oil level in the reservoir and adding oil as required.

ajay

Visit site
I took a few drops out from the leg and it was black which I would expect. As you say the clean oil in the pipe is misleading. A useful trick I used to get air bubbles out the pipe is to push a stiff thin bell wire through the bottom of the bottle into the pipe all the way to the gearbox then wiggle it. That encourages the air bubbles up the pipe as the oil is quite thick.

Just need to choose which oil I'm going to fill it with,

ajay

Visit site
Changed the oil, was simple. Just for information the QL manual actually says change every season which I will do from now on.

The gear box oil was black / old ....

attachment.php

the oil in the canister will be clean so you could run the oil out the drain screw in the leg until it runs clear and top up in the canister. Or in my case since the reserve oil was many years (if not decades old) I replaced it all. The oil is soooo thick so trying to let it out the leg a drip at a time would have taken ages so I gave up and like the video sucked most the oil out the canister and the wide pipe to the thruster using a syringe and short hose...

attachment.php

Getting the new oil to fill the leg and pipe without air locks with the new oil (which is also thick) was made a lot easier by putting a hairdryer in the thruster bilge for 20 mins to pre-warm up the whole system and the oil. It then ran out the drain plug nicely and no air bubbles ...

attachment.php

skippeer

Visit site
I also have an old VP QL BP600 12 volt bow thruster, bought the boat 2017 and have only checked the level in the canister.
Decided to follow the recommendations to change all the gear lube oil, key word seem to be viscosity at 40 Celcius degrees.
Found after some googling the technical notification

VP Notifcation - QL Gear Lube Oil (screenshot).JPG

How much oil is required, is 0,25 litre enough?

skippeer

Visit site
Used a 6 mm Allan key to drain all the oil (roughly 2 dl) including oil in the canister, hope that this flow did move all "dirt" in the thruster.
It took some time for it to dripp which I used to do other tasks on the boat.

I realize that the oil leaking is due to that the hose is too stiff /hard (after 17 years), need to replace 60 cm of hose with diameter 10/14 mm.
What transparent hose material to use (I like to see if there are bubbles in the hose or not, so a black isn't an option)?

1576934936885.png

alt

Visit site
Hi all,
Hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread! I have a QL600

Can anyone confirm the following:
1) Quantity is .25l?
2) Castrol Alpha SP 150 is OK as replacement oil?
3) I will be doing a full flush. Is it OK to re-fill from the reservoir? I plan on having the oil warm when filling and plan to turn the prop manually to get rid of air bubbles in the gearbox. Once it appears full in the reservoir, leave over-night and re-check level next day. Sound OK? Or fill from the bottom with a pump? (I don't think i'll get a pump in there)

skippeer

Visit site
1. On my BP600 did I use roughly 2.5 dl to refill thruster and canister.
2. That is what Penta recommend in the technical note attached above.
3. I drained my thruster by opening plug and let the oil in the reservoar flush the thruster. Temperature was 7 Celcius when I did it.

@alt: what kind of hose do you have between reservoir and thruster?
Black fuel hose or a transparent hose?

alt

Visit site
1. On my BP600 did I use roughly 2.5 dl to refill thruster and canister.
2. That is what Penta recommend in the technical note attached above.
3. I drained my thruster by opening plug and let the oil in the reservoar flush the thruster. Temperature was 7 Celcius when I did it.

@alt: what kind of hose do you have between reservoir and thruster?
Black fuel hose or a transparent hose?

Many thanks. I plan to heat the thruster tunnel up with a hairdryer, may help the oil to drain (about 7 degrees over here, too), drain the contents (including the reservoir)

I will then re-fill from the top (i'll warm up the new oil), while I have someone outside spinning the prop-shaft to help remove air bubbles)

I have a transparent hose so I can see the oil.

Sounds OK?

Now I just need to find somewhere online to purchase 1l of SP 150!

I noticed above someone above used Quicksilver Gear Oil which I presume is 75w/90 - I have loads of 75w/90 and 75w/140 - Would this do?? Or is SP150 a totally different oil? I obviously want to use the correct oil, even if it means buying in bulk (it's not that expensive)

Last edited:

skippeer

Visit site
I could only find 20 litre packages of Castrol oil.
Called the Swedish retailer in Strömstad, they replied buy SAE 80/90 oil.
Found Champion SAE 80/90 oil with viscosity 147, good enough for me

Attachments

• Champion Life Extension 80W90 GL5 - TDS.pdf
    485.7 KB · Views: 11