Volvo QL300 bow thruster oil

Momac

Visit site
Try posts 4 and 5 for some other suggestions
My link above is to Lubefinder.com search for Shell Omala S2 GX 150

Assassin

Visit site
Its wise to change it every season or two as oil deteriorates with age and use can actually prolong its life over a unit only periodically used.

Oil contains many things and requires running at full temperaure for it to work correctly, two of the main causes are evaporation of water and other naturally occuring items through breathers and the only way to evaporate the water off is through a good run to get the unit warm for as long as possible, and to recoat surfaces with other additives to prevent corrosion as well as breaking down the deposits held in suspension in the oil.

skippeer

Visit site
  • By reading the technical notification I attached above you will find a Shell product listed with a good name match

"Volvo Penta has decided to phase out the gear house oil 41100129 for QL bow and stern thrusters. We recommend using Castrol Alpha SP 150 or other equivalent gear house oil with matching characteristics. It can e.g. be Chevron Meropa 150, Mobilgear XP 150, Shell Omala 150, BP Energol XP 150, Total Epona Z 150 or GulfSea Gear oil 150."

• Shells SDS gives also a hint about its technical capacity, my personal believe is that the viscosity at 40 Celcius degrees is the "key".
If you still are doubtful you can compare all the details between Shell SDS and Penta Technical spec attached above

1578913957382.png

Based on these 2 bullets (name match and viscosity match) I believe Shell Omala GX 150 will work as oil for an old VP QL bow thruster.

Last edited:

alt

Visit site
I could only find 20 litre packages of Castrol oil.
Called the Swedish retailer in Strömstad, they replied buy SAE 80/90 oil.
Found Champion SAE 80/90 oil with viscosity 147, good enough for me
I have been searching high and low for the Shell Omala S2 GX 150 and the Castrol 150 so no avail (unless I want a 20l drum).

Can anyone confirm if SAE 80W90 will work on a QL600 bow-thruster? Cause I actually have a litre of that in my locker!

skippeer

Visit site
Last spring did I searched in Gothenburg/Sweden for oil to my BP600.
I bought Champion Life Extension 80W90 GL5 after I saw the viscosity value, has worked fine season 2020.
(I am an amateur within the oil area.)

1609340062412.png

alt

Visit site
Thanks skippeer. Thanks for the info, i'll see if I can source that oil.

It would be great to know if the Volvo Gear Oil 80W90 would work as I have a litre of it sitting in my locker.... i'll keep Googling. Otherwise it's getting the bin as I have no other use for it.

Hola

Visit site
Thanks skippeer. Thanks for the info, i'll see if I can source that oil.

It would be great to know if the Volvo Gear Oil 80W90 would work as I have a litre of it sitting in my locker.... i'll keep Googling. Otherwise it's getting the bin as I have no other use for it.
Hi Alt,

Did you conclude? Was it the Champion Life Extension 80W90 GL5 that was the most suitable oil that is possible to get hold of in 1 litres?

Forum Moderation Team
Visit site
Me. I did not read the whole thread (it's about mobo oil) but when it appeared in the Approve Q, I saw the full product name in bold, and there was a certain amount of 'familiarity' in the text language (which I now recognise as from one Scandiwegian to another), and the ID was a Spanish greeting, It didn't add up. So I spambinned it

As we say in forensic disaster recovery, the holes in the swiss cheese did not all line up this time.

Sorry. I will wait for braver souls than me to deal with ambivalent noobs in future.

Birchwood33

Visit site
Hi,
I see you have a QL 600, there is a little hole in the front, does oil seep out?

Attachments

• try 2.jpg
    try 2.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 18
  • Trust 2.jpg
    Trust 2.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

ajay

Visit site
from the photo not sure where that hole is but oil did not leak from my QL300. In the end I swapped out the motor for a sidepower SE40

Momac

Visit site
There should be no oil leak
I suggest the firs thing to check is whether there is an oil reservoir and if so is the hose from that leaking or a clip become loose ?
Failing that the electric motor may be removed to investigate further.

JesperB

Visit site
Hey,

If anybody stumbles upon this old thread and is looking for an oil as a replacement for the original VP41100129. And don't want a 20 litre bucket of oil such as Castrol SP 150, then I was in contact with Castrol that suggested using this oil:
Revival EP 90 CS

Here are the specifications (in Danish but they should give you an indication nevertheless):

2022-11-23_15-19-38.jpg

alt

Visit site
I used Volvo 80w-90 gear oil in the end. Used the bow-thruster plenty this summer.... hasn't blown up! I reckon for items like bow-thrusters it's easy to get quite analytical about it.... they're used so little i'd say any oil would do. Even if not the exact recommended spec, has to be better than 15 year old oil from the factory.