Volvo Penta oil disappeared in coolant

Charris

Visit site
Hello,

I have a volvo penta md2030 and the oil is disappearing and is found in the coolant.

Normally is the opposite, water in oil. I have searched on the Internet but I haven't found anything.

I have replaced the main gasket and cleaned the cooler other than that I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Charris

Plum

Visit site
Hello,

I have a volvo penta md2030 and the oil is disappearing and is found in the coolant.

Normally is the opposite, water in oil. I have searched on the Internet but I haven't found anything.

I have replaced the main gasket and cleaned the cooler other than that I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Charris
Where are you seeing the oil, in the header tank? How much oil are you losing from the sump? Is this happening when the engine is running and up to operating temperature?

Charris

Visit site
Where are you seeing the oil, in the header tank? How much oil are you losing from the sump? Is this happening when the engine is running and up to operating temperature?
I'm losing a lot and goes to the header tank. Yes, when is the engine is running for about an hour or so.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Head gasket.

The compression in the cylinders is much higher than the pressure in the cooling jacket. Hence prevent water from getting into the cylinders while pushing oil into the coolant.

I'd expect traces of water in the oil before long.

Edit:

As per Volvo's Workshop Manual:
1700465641222.png

So if the head is flat, you may get away with replacing the head gasket + whatever is detected during the work.

Last edited:

Stemar

Visit site
Having had a few engines apart in my time, ISTM that the only place oil under pressure could get anywhere near the cooling system is between the head and the block. I suppose that a cracked block could do it, but that would normally require something pretty dramatic.

Open to correction on that...

prestomg27

Visit site
Having had a few engines apart in my time, ISTM that the only place oil under pressure could get anywhere near the cooling system is between the head and the block. I suppose that a cracked block could do it, but that would normally require something pretty dramatic.

Had a cracked blocked on a cast iron 2.0 litre triumph engine. The crack only opened very slightly when the block was warm allowing water and oil to mix very slightly. Was very hard to spot and no loss of compression.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk

Many years ago I bought an Alfa Romeo that had been left over winter with only fresh water in the coolant circuit. It displayed the OP's symptoms. The block had cracked allowing oil in the camshaft feed to enter the coolant. The oil loss was considerable. I managed to sleeve the oil passage internally using bored out studding.