Volvo Penta IPS 500 Steering failure

Petrolia

Visit site
Hi everyone,
This is an old post now. I don't come here much. Too busy working on boat.
Just an update.
I may have fixed my IPS 'limited steering, limited RPM' problem.
There is a small electrical connector on top of the IPS drive. It felt a bit too easy to plug in so I got a tiny screw driver and bent all the pins just a little bit then plugged it back in. The issue has not happened again. After doing this I heard from a VP main dealer that VP has in fact updated this electrical connector. So seems like they knew there was an issue. VP are bastards !!

Portofino

Visit site
Yes somewhere it should have logged that sensor or what ever connector as “ In plausible signal “ or “ short to Gnd “ .
That info should have been easily accessible.Ideally by any code reader but definitely by a VP tech on his first acquaintance.

Volvo hater

Visit site
I found the issue. It was the Starboard side steering sensors. Worst part is that my repair shop told me they replaced them last summer (they did not, they only replaced the Port side however they billed the job as port side and starboard side and told me they were sold in pairs) so I spent over a year and wasted $30,000 in looking for the issue (obviously crossed off the steering sensors as not being the faulty item becuase was under the impression that they were replaced) in other areas.

Steering sensors!!!!!!!

simonfraser

Visit site
I found the issue. It was the Starboard side steering sensors. Worst part is that my repair shop told me they replaced them last summer (they did not, they only replaced the Port side however they billed the job as port side and starboard side and told me they were sold in pairs) so I spent over a year and wasted $30,000 in looking for the issue (obviously crossed off the steering sensors as not being the faulty item becuase was under the impression that they were replaced) in other areas.

Steering sensors!!!!!!!

makes finding my faulty speed sensor look a bargain !

Rob21

Visit site
Hi everyone,
Just an update.
There is a small electrical connector on top of the IPS drive. It felt a bit too easy to plug in so I got a tiny screw driver and bent all the pins just a little bit then plugged it back in. The issue has not happened again. After doing this I heard from a VP main dealer that VP has in fact updated this electrical connector. So seems like they knew there was an issue. VP are bastards !!

I have the same issue that you described and I’m looking for a place to start diagnosing from. Did playing with that wire actually resolve your problem? Also can you please describe what wire you are talking about.I really appreciate your help.

Rob21

Visit site
9798C727-B255-473B-A682-49757F403CAD.jpeg
Is the cable you are talking about the datalink to SUS shown above?^ I really appreciate anyone who can help.

Andyroonot

Visit site
View attachment 120741
Is the cable you are talking about the datalink to SUS shown above?^ I really appreciate anyone who can help.
I suspect he is referring to the ‘resolver’ connection, which is the steering position sensor that is located underneath the upper gearbox. It is connected to the SUS unit via a small metal tube that is held in place by a 10mm bolt. If you remove that the tube can be lowered down and the circular resolver plug can be seen. This has a quick release connection, and can be disconnected & inspected.
You can’t really miss it but it’s roughly where the red circle is in the picture:
743CD914-1FFD-41B2-8C84-DAF5A7A3AC77.jpeg

Rob21

Visit site
I suspect he is referring to the ‘resolver’ connection, which is the steering position sensor that is located underneath the upper gearbox. It is connected to the SUS unit via a small metal tube that is held in place by a 10mm bolt. If you remove that the tube can be lowered down and the circular resolver plug can be seen. This has a quick release connection, and can be disconnected & inspected.
You can’t really miss it but it’s roughly where the red circle is in the picture:
View attachment 120911
I seriously appreciate your help. If anyone else has any input on the subject please chime in!

Rob21

Visit site
I unplugged the resolver connection and everything looked fine. I took the boat out today and didn’t have any issues but this problem doesn’t happen every trip so I can’t celebrate yet. Im hoping the resolver connection was just loose and my playing with it fixed the issue. I’ll report back here with an update in the future. If anyone else has any advice please reach out.

Rob21

Visit site
To clarify my issue

I have Volvo Penta 2009 D6 IPS600s in my boat (EVC-C). At random times, one of my engines cuts out and throws a “check shift actuator” code. This code goes away after restarting the engines and the boat functions normally again until the problem reoccurs. This has happened both when cruising and when docking with the joystick. My volvo dealer couldn’t do any better than telling me that they think it is a communication error between the ecu and the pcu (but I don’t have much confidence in them). If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it!

save2360

Visit site
Hi everyone,
Just an update.
Are you referring to the 6 pin resolver plug ?

Alanpang75

Visit site
Hi there,
Sold our Nimbus Nova 42 Petrolia last March and then recently accidentally bought a Rodman 41 !
Despite survey & sea trial it is proving a money pit already.
It has VP IPS 500 engines /drive

Main current problem I'm hoping someone can help with is the EVC repeatedly reporting 'limited steering - limited RPM'.
Sometimes the boat will run for 2hrs before this occurs. Sometimes only 20mins. Stopping and starting the engines clears the fault but once it has occurred the fault normally comes back within a few minutes. The fault forces the boat into 'limp mode'.

I have had VP 'engineers' on the boat 3 times and they can't tell me what is going on. The EVC shows fault codes 4.2.3 & 4.4.9. I can see in the Volvo manual that this is a problem with steering but the Volvo engineers can't even give me any more detail or suggest what to do. This issue is always happening on the starboard drive.

Any advice ?
Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I am facing same issue here, check evc system plus limited steering limited rpm on my D6 435 twin. Have you found the cause already? Can you kindly share with me ? ?

Alanpang75

Visit site
RD , the whole system is electric , the steering oart is in the upper drive and it’s a very simple system .
I’m assuming you are on the east coast ?
How old is the boat , I’m seeing a lot of corrosion issues on the D6/IPS boats these days particularly the targa 44.
If the faults re occurred many times then there must be a wiring bad connection issue which if the system sees a break or incorrect resistance it goes to limp mode.
Has the dealer split the loom plugs , cleaned the terminals to the steering motor .
That’s a start , who have you had look at it?

Hi Paul, I am stuck with a problem (mid250 psi4 fmi7)for about 6months local VP says sus faulty change new ones. Some how I felt even if I change the problem will still not go away reasons because port in intermittent and stb is constant, could it be some linkage issue ?

jrudge

Visit site
There is a Facebook group “ Volvo penta victims” that has a wide geographic reach and many people with IPs problems.

There are lots of knowledgable people about IPs and hopefully they can point you in the right direction.

Ips500 d6

Visit site
Hi everyone
I know what is the issue with that all
the sus unit have to be replaced
Faults about sensor or comunication is only fake as this is all result of faulty unit inside
If you have two sus units like me , than replace in pair as i did one and after couple of months other one fail
I think they have some hours to do and thats it
All faults like ruder angle sensor or comunication or undervoltage / overvoltage all refered to psid 250 in ips 400 / 500 / 600
Is sus unit dying
You get that problem more frequenlty till it completly lose comunication ( burn inside )
Volvo know this very well but they dont wanna talk about it . Thats why they offer exhange unit 3000€ plus deposit 1350€ if you send back yours you get deposit back .
after you install new sus unit or two of them
You need calibrate them with your evc system
Or program with vodia software and vocom device with laptop 2000€ on ebay