Volvo penta D1-30 yet another problem

billyfish

Visit site
Well, all fixed, but , why is there always a but , the battery alarm keeps beeping intermittently , charging OK, I've replaced the yellow wire from the alternator to the solenoid, can't think it's anything else but the control panel because I think that is where the sensor must be. Any thoughts before I spend 400 beer vouchers.

VicS

Visit site
Well, all fixed, but , why is there always a but , the battery alarm keeps beeping intermittently , charging OK, I've replaced the yellow wire from the alternator to the solenoid, can't think it's anything else but the control panel because I think that is where the sensor must be. Any thoughts before I spend 400 beer vouchers.
There is no sensor as such. Not in the way that there is a sensor to detect high temperature or low oil pressure.

The warning light flashes until the alternator output voltage ( nearly) reaches the battery voltage. It is powered simply by the voltage difference between the two. On this panel the audible alarm apparently sounds as well although it did not on earlier panels.

Dont spend money on things you have not proved to be defective. If you are going to spend money start by getting the alternator tested by an auto electrician.

billyfish

Visit site
Thanks, I was thinking about the alternator it is fluctuating a bit. There doesn't seem much to the switch panel .

VicS

Visit site
Thanks, I was thinking about the alternator it is fluctuating a bit. There doesn't seem much to the switch panel .
The heart of the panel is the mysterious "electronic " module . A collection of diodes, a transistor and a couple of resistors that controls the operation of the warning lights/ LEDs , the audible alarm and the alarm test function. There have been a number of versions over the years.
Below, for information, is a neatly drawn circuit diagram for a slightly earlier version than yours. Have fun figuring out how it works.

VP electronic module.jpg

billyfish

Visit site
Well I'll be dammed...New alternator in, new switches in, new relays in, fires up first time shuts down a treat...bloody alarm still going off intermittently...now disconnected the beeper. Bit worried I won't notice if something really goes wrong but I can't find anything else to do. Grumble Grumble Grumble

billyfish

Visit site
Think aloud I could cut the brown wire and leave the rest I have a battery monitor so can look at that for charge rate

VicS

Visit site
Think aloud I could cut the brown wire and leave the rest I have a battery monitor so can look at that for charge rate
If you cut the brown wire you will not have any indication of not charging which could be belt failure which will also mean the coolant pump may not be turning correct)iy and lead to overtheatīng.
You might try disconnecting it at the alternator to see what happens.