Volvo Penta 2003t oil loss.

Cillcais

Visit site
I was running one of my volvo penta 2003t in gear (low revs) in preparation for oil removal and left it running for about 45 minutes I was about to check oil level and the heat of the engine when i noticed the oil was flowing from the engine to the boat sump. I shut the engine down and tried to find the leak but as it was the starboard engine you would want to be a contortionist to be able to see behind the oil cooler,alternator or starter motor. I am hoping that some one has come across this before and can give me some tips as to what it might be. I checked the front of the engine and it is not coming from there. There is some oil on the rear of the starter but no visible leak or seal failure. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Tranona

Visit site
Almost certainly the oil cooler failing because of corrosion. Well known weak spot being aluminium construction with yellow metal fittings. difficult to access and expensive to replace.

Cillcais

Visit site
Thanks Tranona, I was hoping it would be something easier. When you say it is difficult to access ...is it behind the heat exchanger? I am looking at a bowman cooler if what you say is correct.
I have tried YouTube for a video on changing the cooler but no luck.
Thanks again

Tranona

Visit site
There was an article covering the replacement of the Volvo cooler with a Bowman in PBO a few years ago. Not a straightforward job, but doable Seem to remember the author was a guy called Dave Berry (unfortunately no longer with us) who was a very practical engineer. The Volvo cooler is incredibly expensive.

You may find it easier and cheaper to buy another engine with a good oil cooler and sell your engine for spares. One for sale here marineenterprises.co.uk/engine/volvo-volvo-penta-2003t-43hp-marine-diesel-engine-package/9109 No connection but they get good feedback.

VicS

Visit site
Hi
Has anyone changed an oil cooler on a volvo penta 2003t and do they have any link to a video for doing it please.
It is only held on by two bolts but there are also two oil pipes and two cooling water connections. You do realise that its costs nearly €1800.

1718645085963.png