Volvo penta 2003 tacho sensor

Jimmid

Visit site
I have the tach sensor part 1502028 but the wiring diagram only shows the alternator pick up. Where can I find a wiring diagram for the two pin sensor?

Len Ingalls

Visit site
I have the tach sensor part 1502028 but the wiring diagram only shows the alternator pick up. Where can I find a wiring diagram for the two pin sensor?

I looked in my svc manual & you are correct. Shows only the Alt. connection.
I had tahen photos when I removed & re inst'd my VP 2003 2 yrs ago. The pics show two white wires in the plug that plugs onto the sender. The two white wires go across the front of engine & enter the dash harness just before the multi plug that plugs into the fixed engine socket under the fuse. Afraid that is all I can tell you-hope it helps.

Jimmid

Visit site
I looked in my svc manual & you are correct. Shows only the Alt. connection.
I had tahen photos when I removed & re inst'd my VP 2003 2 yrs ago. The pics show two white wires in the plug that plugs onto the sender. The two white wires go across the front of engine & enter the dash harness just before the multi plug that plugs into the fixed engine socket under the fuse. Afraid that is all I can tell you-hope it helps.

Thank you for that. What I would like is a diagram showing where the two wires connect at the instrument panel.

VicS

Visit site

It is wired to the G and W terminals of the tacho

The wiring diagrams for older engines show it ( eg MD11C)

I think you may find that the connections from the tacho to the 16 pin connector already exist ( 2 grey wires to pins 12 and 13). It then only requires connections from there to the sensor at the engine end.

I am surprised that there is a place to mount this type of sensor on the engine. On top of the timing gear cover looking at the camshaft gear presumably where there is normally just a plug?

Jimmid

Visit site
Thank you. Yes it mounts just above the oil filler cap and uses the gear. From 12 and thirteen the wires go to G and W on the tacho. Can the wires be interchanged on the sensor? Also do you know the voltage on them and is it DC or AC?

Jimmid

Visit site
Might have partially answered my question. On the md11c diagram it shows G as + and W as -. Anyone know what voltage it should be?

Len Ingalls

Visit site
It is wired to the G and W terminals of the tacho

The wiring diagrams for older engines show it ( eg MD11C)

I think you may find that the connections from the tacho to the 16 pin connector already exist ( 2 grey wires to pins 12 and 13). It then only requires connections from there to the sensor at the engine end.

I am surprised that there is a place to mount this type of sensor on the engine. On top of the timing gear cover looking at the camshaft gear presumably where there is normally just a plug?

Thank you! I have this sender on my 1984 VP2003

VicS

Visit site
Thank you. Yes it mounts just above the oil filler cap and uses the gear. From 12 and thirteen the wires go to G and W on the tacho. Can the wires be interchanged on the sensor? Also do you know the voltage on them and is it DC or AC?

Might have partially answered my question. On the md11c diagram it shows G as + and W as -. Anyone know what voltage it should be?

I think you will find that + and - are the 12 volt DC positive and negative power supply connections for the tacho. Positive wire should be Blue/red and the negative black

G and W are separate connections. ( G might be also grounded... dunno) The two grey wires from W and G are interchangeable. AFAIK the sensor is just a coil. Sorry no idea what volts you will find between the greys