Volvo penta 120 saildrive bearing change

Alanarkison

Visit site
I've been handed a shaft from a volvo penta 120 saildrive. A friend removed it from his boat to change the bearings but didn't have a press to put them back on. He unfortunately didn't check the position of the bearings before he removed them. From the manual its easy to see that the bearing at horizontal gear drive end just gets pressed on till it meets the stop on the shaft but it doesn't show you how far the propellor drive side bearing gets pressed on to. Does it get driven right up flush to the back end of the drive gear?

VicS

Visit site
Thanks very much for your reply. Just to clarify the bearing at the top of the picture must flush up to the back of the drive gear?
I had checked the manual but it was ambiguous and the picture shows a gap between the bearing and the gear.

Alan
Yes . There is no alternative. If they were to be spaced apart there would have to be a spacer between them and the bearing pressed on until it was in contact with the spacer and the spacer in contact with the gear.

The picture in the manual only illustrates the use of the mandrel . If you look at illustration 25 ( Installing the front bearing with the same tool) on the previous page you will see that is pictured only part way on as well.

Alanarkison

Visit site
Yes . There is no alternative. If they were to be spaced apart there would have to be a spacer between them and the bearing pressed on until it was in contact with the spacer and the spacer in contact with the gear.

The picture in the manual only illustrates the use of the mandrel . If you look at illustration 25 ( Installing the front bearing with the same tool) on the previous page you will see that is pictured only part way on as well.
Thanks very much for your help Vics. I'll get it pressed on today ?

Alan

smeaks

Visit site
I've been handed a shaft from a volvo penta 120 saildrive. A friend removed it from his boat to change the bearings but didn't have a press to put them back on. He unfortunately didn't check the position of the bearings before he removed them. From the manual its easy to see that the bearing at horizontal gear drive end just gets pressed on till it meets the stop on the shaft but it doesn't show you how far the propellor drive side bearing gets pressed on to. Does it get driven right up flush to the back end of the drive gear?

Are the bearings easily removed?

VicS

Visit site
Are the bearings easily removed?
Yes........If you have a knife bearing extractor and a press.
I recommend you locate and download the manual ( sorry I dont have a link... I already have it downloaded)

SD 120 bearing removal.JPG

Last edited: