Volvo impeller wtf?

alt

Visit site
http://i.imgur.com/bUR85i9.jpg

Approximately 6 months post, approximately150 hours.

Genuine Volvo! Non genuine in other engine perfect.

Thanks Volvo! Thankfully I remove them for the winter otherwise would have assumed they're fine for another season at least

Pinnacle

Visit site
Is it possible that the water flow was in some way restricted - even for only a few minutes - and that made the impeller run hot? ?Plastic bag around intake?

RobWales

www.3ksengineering.com
My guess.............
Sold as new because it probably was, however is there a chance it could have been extremely old stock?
Blown the photo up and leading edges around the main split areas look to be somewhat perished?
Gone brittle in packaging?
Just a guess.....

DrSpock

Visit site
That certainly looks older than 6 months - was it an older impeller kept on the boat that gets rotated into service?

alt

Visit site
I think you guys may have cracked it (no pun intended) - I think this impeller could have been lying about for a while... can't remember when I last bought an impeller.

Anyway, 2 new impellers being ordered next Spring before she goes back in the water.

[2068]

Visit site
Much cheaper than "Volvo Seawater Pump WTF" ... many thanks to Volvo Paul for fixing. I have no idea how you would even do such a thing to a poor innocent pump.

scubaman

Visit site
Hi N,

Might also have been an airlock on the intake side causing the impeller to run dry for a while? Had this once on a KAMD300, that's when I learned to check the water pump face plate for coolness when launching the boat.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
An impeller is a service item just like your oil filter,
Would you unscrew it, drain the oil and put it back on?

I will add there are some non genuine Volvo / jabsco impellers out there on sale, just avoid them.

tom52

Visit site
Very intrigued how this shaft got bent?

Hi Allan !
Without an expensive extractor the amount of force needed to get the impeller out, if applied carelessly, could be enough to bend the shaft.
( BTW I cracked two ribs servicing Maria B last June ! Other than that setback, a trouble free season and she is going well.)

alt

Visit site
Interesting point about the potential shelf life of spare impellors, from now on I'm going to date mark all spare parts that I get.

Andy

While on the subject.... maybe we can learn from this thread. With that.....

Does anyone know what the shelf life of an impeller is?!

Boat2016

Visit site
While on the subject.... maybe we can learn from this thread. With that.....

Does anyone know what the shelf life of an impeller is?!

Don't think they have a shelf life but it's how you store them that counts, I have always been told don't keep in a hot engine room.