Vodafone UK £24 for 100GB 4G DATA p.m.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Re: Vodafone UK £24 for 100GB 4G DATA p.m. - Three top that!

We have both iphones and a mifi.

With respect to the data allowance, the Three contracts are all the same price. On the phones calls and texts are included at no extra charge. But roaming is currently limited to 19GB per month, …
So I could chop my phone contract in for a data one, pay for the few calls I make, and get unlimited data?

I don't suppose you know how much they charge for calls?

laika

Visit site

To return to the original subject of this thread, if you take the vodaphone deal out with carphone warehouse they allegedly give you £48 back, making it effectively £20 a month over the 12 months of the contract. Well probably a bit more after they've bumped the price up in april due to the small print
https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/vodafone/sim-only-deals.html

nortada

Visit site

So I could chop my phone contract in for a data one, pay for the few calls I make, and get unlimited data?

I don't suppose you know how much they charge for calls?

True, but you could go on the Three site to find out and let the rest of us know.

If you have a mifi and a phone would there be any mileage in getting Three for data on your mifi but Giff Gaff for the phone, which is not so good for data (especially overseas) but allows you to vary your monthly payment for phone calls.

On Giff Gaff you can also take a sabbatical of up to 6 months if you will be out of the UK for a while.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

If you read my post it's about a Data Sim MiFi dongle, unlimited and with Netflix for 20 quid a month

I did read your post and the one from KompetentKrew which said "Our mifi is on a Three £20 unlimited data contract" but then went on to say he was capped, in common with others. Reading later posts, he seems to have a different deal to you.

GHA

Visit site

Ditched three a while ago, awful download rate, in Portugal anyway. Might have changed but payg sims are all you can eat data for euro a day here so no point getting locked into a contract to watch game of thrones every night :)

greeny

Visit site

Ditched three a while ago, awful download rate, in Portugal anyway. Might have changed but payg sims are all you can eat data for euro a day here so no point getting locked into a contract to watch game of thrones every night :)

I'm interested in this one.
How does it work, do you buy a months worth (30 Euro) and it lasts 30 days or does it only log a day if you actually use it that day. So in theory 30 euros could last some months if not a daily user?

Graham376

Visit site

I'm interested in this one.
How does it work, do you buy a months worth (30 Euro) and it lasts 30 days or does it only log a day if you actually use it that day. So in theory 30 euros could last some months if not a daily user?

We have a Meo PAYG card as well as Voda contract. Meo has various top-up lengths of time and amount of download, dependent on amount paid, the longest (when we bought ours) being 30 days. If topped up part way through a (say) 30 day period, I think the balance is lost and it starts again with whatever top up just bought. Also cuts off after 3 months if not used and new one needed. We only use Meo when in areas Voda doesn't cover, such as some of the Guadiana. I much prefer contract paid by DD, no worries about being cut off. Vodafone Portugal contract by the way allows suspension without paying for up to 3 months p.a.

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site

We have a Meo PAYG card as well as Voda contract. Meo has various top-up lengths of time and amount of download, dependent on amount paid, the longest (when we bought ours) being 30 days. If topped up part way through a (say) 30 day period, I think the balance is lost and it starts again with whatever top up just bought. Also cuts off after 3 months if not used and new one needed. We only use Meo when in areas Voda doesn't cover, such as some of the Guadiana. I much prefer contract paid by DD, no worries about being cut off. Vodafone Portugal contract by the way allows suspension without paying for up to 3 months p.a.

Thanks for the info Graham but don't think that will be any better than what I do now. I've got a vodafone payg sim at 1 euro an hour. Sounds expensive i know but i only use it when on the boat and i need to get online. What I have to do usually takes less than an hour and then I may not use it for several days and therefore incur no cost. 10 euro recharge usually lasts a month or so for me. I just thought there may be something out there i hadn't seen before but i guess GHA was talking about the same or similar deal to yours.

Graham376

Visit site

I've got a vodafone payg sim at 1 euro an hour. Sounds expensive i know but i only use it when on the boat and i need to get online. What I have to do usually takes less than an hour and then I may not use it for several days and therefore incur no cost.

Big difference in use, our router is turned on 24/7 for months at a time so hourly rate would be crippling.

nortada

Visit site

Interesting, when in Portugal our Three links to NOS (a local provider) that gives an excellent download rate.

Before roaming was freed up NOS was our MIFI provider and we were getting 30GB per 30 days for €25 on a 6 month contract but as at the time, we didn’t have a Portuguese bank account, we had to pay cash at the local NOS shop. In the UK we had Three giving 20GB for £15 (this was about 4 or 5 years back) on a monthly rolling contract which we could suspend when we went to Portugal.

Cheap roaming and the arrival of tethering changed the goal posts so we ditched NOS and just use Three 24/7 on phones (£17 per month for 30GB) and mifi (£20 per month for unlimited). When in Portugal, the maximum data on all contracts is 19GB per month.

Marina de Lagos provides free wifi free, which is reasonable for most things but not strong enough to support the VPN required to view UK TV overseas so this is where the Three data fits in.

Overall, very satisfactory arrangement at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

Seven Spades

Visit site
I have a screen shot of chat from Vodafone saying I do not have to be in the UK - I specifically said I was going cruising the Med for several months and their rep said that was fine there were no restrictions on use abroad at all in their roaming areas

Correct, my son is on Vodafone now, he was caught out by O2 for overstaying. I am planing to switch from Three because I will be overseas for three months this summer.

GHA

Visit site

Interesting, when in Portugal our Three links to NOS (a local provider) that gives an excellent download rate..

Usually.... ;)

All waking hours I'm usually streaming web radio or an evening movie, it will drop out now and again but usually just for a few minutes. I use gifgaff payg just to keep a mobile number, says network altice meo|gifgaff but usually you can't even get online with it or if you do download speed is awful. The NOS data sim says there's a limit but I've never had a problem, quick looks shows 89Gb 30mar - 29Apr.

k6CGtYF.png

Last edited:
Visit site
They now have an unlimited package.

However, for liveaboard cruisers, surely it's a data sim you want for tethering, not a regular mobile package. Unless you are a gluten for punishment, using a mobile phone for many things on the web is a nightmare. Their best data sim is £25 for 50gb.

jordanbasset

Visit site
They now have an unlimited package.

However, for liveaboard cruisers, surely it's a data sim you want for tethering, not a regular mobile package. Unless you are a gluten for punishment, using a mobile phone for many things on the web is a nightmare. Their best data sim is £25 for 50gb.

I only used it in a mifi, no problem, we have 4 devices linked to the mifi