Vivacity 24 (again)

saxondale

Visit site
Hi

I too have a Vivacity 24 and based in the Solent.

Had her since 2008 but only just noticed this thread.

Do you guys still own yours?

Bartholomew

Visit site
Viv in Norfolk!

Hi Again, Just seen the entry (and squirted an email back) in the Forum from Saxondale, so there's two of us to make a new group????
Richard

Slo Moe Jim

Visit site
Vivacity 24

I too have a Vivacity 24 (1971). We have been restoring her over the last year. Almost ready for the water. Have to finish some wiring and get the mast up. Does anyone know where I can find reasonably priced life lines and stanchions that will work with V24's. We are in the Lake St. Clair area of Michigan. Thanks for any help and hello to all of you V24 owners!

prepman

Visit site
From across the pond

I too have a Vivacity 24 (1971). We have been restoring her over the last year. Almost ready for the water. Have to finish some wiring and get the mast up. Does anyone know where I can find reasonably priced life lines and stanchions that will work with V24's. We are in the Lake St. Clair area of Michigan. Thanks for any help and hello to all of you V24 owners!

Afraid any info wouldn't be relevant to you, but good to see that there is some life in this thread. How much restoration did you need to do? Was it a hulk, or, like mine, lack of maintenance over the years? Mine is fitted with an inboard diesel, which is offset to accommodate the rudder. This makes it heavy on the tiller when under power.

Best Regards

sterilecuckoo58

Visit site
There's other things I ought to do, but posting our existence and thinking about sailing season coming up is far more appealing.

We have a 1970 Vivacity 24, it joined the family in 1981, lived on Long Island's south shore for 29 years, and came north with us when my dear old Dad couldn't take it with him. The rub-rails are now toast (dad had bought the Mahogany for the project but never got to it) so shortly I'll be pulling her from the water (well, I'll be letting a hoist do that) and having her set on a trailer just acquired, so I can work on her close to home for 6 weeks, then plunge her in the water again.

The fiberglass over the starboard keel has lifted, and I see some corrosion. I have been advised she has an iron ballast so this could portend end of boats life. I'll do some surgery and see how deep the corrosion goes. As an optimist, I'll refill the cavity, reglass, and epoxy the entire bilge so I don't freak every time it gets wet. The pessimist approaches in the night with visions of the keel dropping off to the bay bottom, or collapsing while on the trailer.

Finally will be rewiring the mast, change from the wire and rope halyards to all rope, and finish the paint job started last season. Gel coat is toast so sealing the cracks and painting over with about 85% success.

Repowered her last season with a new 9.8 XL Tohatsu, but would have gone with the 9.9 Lehr propane had I a) known about it and b) they (Lehr) had had it. I'd like to connect the tiller and outboard so I don't have to manhandle both when maneuvering in close quarters.

Hoping to rig some jack stays this season too.

She is slipped in the winter and moored in the summer, so hasn't been out of water except for tidal beachings to remove the marine head (planning drawers for that closet area), install new depth and knot transducers. Anytime you do an o-ring, lubricate as instructed, otherwise it will leak (this applies to transducers and underwater cameras and just about anything else) - having tried both ways, I KNOW.

The hull is tough (we've tested her in this regard) when it comes to external pressures.

Enough for now

prepman

Visit site
Yes it's tough boat. I had a leaky keel. The shoe area had been badly repaired and seawater had eaten some the ballast away giving a very slight list to starboard. The keels are sealed to the hull and part of the boat moulding, so I would not expect it to fall off, like a bolt on. Nor cause flooding.
I had to rod out the mast, with a chimney brush set, to remove the expanded foam used to key the cables, to enable the halyards to run down and to replace the cabling.
They sterngear on mine is offset to port, which gives a pull to starboard under power. Is yours the same or is it through the keel?

VicS

Visit site
Hi just bought a vivacity 24, would like some advice on a couple of things can any body help ?

welcome-1.gif

Start a new topic of your own, rather than hijacking a very old one, and ask what you want to know about.

welcome-1.gif

Last edited: