Visiting Netherlands by yacht.

DanTribe

Visit site
Has anyone had experience this year?
What are the technicalities or pitfalls currently?
I'm starting to plan to visit Netherlands next summer, probably stop in Belgium en-route.
I'tried to understand the RYAs notes but they seem vague and contradictory and don't seem to apply to a family summer cruise.
Brief outline there will be five of us, all Brits. Boat is pre VAT but can't prove that.
Have only used white diesel for 5 years.
Do I need to do any special preparation?

lustyd

Visit site
Boat is pre VAT but can't prove that
If you speak to HMRC they might give you a certificate, someone I know just got one. Your boat is not "pre VAT" it's "deemed VAT paid" and so you need evidence that no taxable events have happened since the 1980's. This could be a string of bills of sale plus proof of your boat being resident, or a certificate, but you will need proof of some kind.

You'll also want receipts for your diesel if it's got any red in it

syvictoria

Visit site
We came over to NL last year and so pre some of the current issues. I'm only posting to warn that we were boarded by customs just last week whilst moored in a harbour, minding our own business (enjoying a sundowner, in fact!). They came in and spoke to a couple of other foreign boats, but we were boarded and had passports checked, were asked if we knew about 90/180 and had a sample of diesel taken (there's intentionally never been red diesel in our recently fitted tank). They were very friendly however, it has to be said.

Make sure you get your passport stamped on the way in to Schengen (and out).

Last edited:

st599

Visit site
We came over to NL last year and so pre some of the current issues. I'm only posting to warn that we were boarded by customs just last week whilst moored in a harbour, minding our own business (enjoying a sundowner, in fact!). They came in and spoke to a couple of other foreign boats, but we were boarded and had passports checked, were asked if we knew about 90/180 and had a sample of diesel taken (there's intentionally never been red diesel in our recently fitted tank). They were very friendly however, it has to be said.

Make sure you get your passport stamped on the way in to Schengen (and out).

If the trip is next summer, the Schengen-wide passport scanning system and automated 90in180 calculation may be working.

The OP will need to work out the Ports of Entry to use - Belgium now have an online form, but you will need to ensure that that is compatible with whatever system the Netherlands are using at the time.

DanTribe

Visit site
If the trip is next summer, the Schengen-wide passport scanning system and automated 90in180 calculation may be working.

The OP will need to work out the Ports of Entry to use - Belgium now have an online form, but you will need to ensure that that is compatible with whatever system the Netherlands are using at the time.
This seems to be in line with the information I've been getting, nobody seems to know.
Do I have to nominate a port of entry and departure? Sometimes circumstances change. I have been headed for Breskens but diverted to Dunkirk instead. What happens then?

PHN

Visit site
Depending on where you want to go in Netherlands be aware that "Slijkgat" in the direction of Stellendam has uncharted depth issues changing frequently. This is caused by the expansion of Rotterdam harbour. You need local knowledge at the time of arrival and don't rely solely on charts.

westhinder

Visit site
This seems to be in line with the information I've been getting, nobody seems to know.
Do I have to nominate a port of entry and departure? Sometimes circumstances change. I have been headed for Breskens but diverted to Dunkirk instead. What happens then?
As far as I’m aware you don’t have to give prior notice. You simply check into Schengen in the harbour you happen to enter. In Belgium thatcan be done in any harbour.
Even If you should have to mention a port of destination when leaving UK shores, I can’t imagine anyone in a continental harbour being aware of that.

DanTribe

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. It seems that I have been over complicating the situation.
What I now understand is;
1 We don't need visas.
2 We don't have to get passports stamped out of or back into UK.
3 We should get our passports stamped on arrival in EEC. Will this be done by the harbourmasters at marinas or will I have to find a Border Control office?

The RYA could be a lot clearer on all this.

st599

Visit site
3 We should get our passports stamped on arrival in EEC. Will this be done by the harbourmasters at marinas or will I have to find a Border Control office?

The RYA have had 2 Brexit Webinars in which they were perfectly clear.

2 You need to fill out the C1331 form on exit and arrival and ring HMRC. This will be replaced with an app at some point, which has been beta tested by members on here and have listed the problems with it.
3 It is up to individual countries how it's implemented, Customs and Immigration are not within the EU's purview. In most countries you need to enter and exit at an Official Port of Entry and find the office, many of which are Monday to Friday, 9-5. Some have created an app or webform (Belgium), some have rolled out terminals to major marinas (Germany), some have different tools in different parts of the country (France). As of next year, you also need an ETIAS Visa Waiver and each country will be logging entry and exit - overstays will be automatically marked.

westhinder

Visit site

In Belgium there is a web form to be filled out and you ring Border Police to notify them of your arrival. They will come to the boat to check papers and stamp passports
Pleasure Craft Declaration

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Thanks for all your replies. It seems that I have been over complicating the situation.
What I now understand is;
1 We don't need visas.
You WILL need a Passenger Location Form and COVID tests before returning to the UK.

lustyd

Visit site
This is potentially changing shortly though, with green and amber lists being withdrawn and various other changes to rules so worth keeping an eye on the news and check the gov websites before and during the trip

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Thanks, that's helpful. It clarifies many of my uncertainties.
The only problem is if you do not enter by a Port of Entry. The marina will inform the Netherlands/Belgium/French border police of your arrival. You will then be confined to your boat until the Border Police arrive and stamp your passports in... Could be hours - heard of instances of 48.. Worse when you want to leave you must get your passport stamped out.. same time issues for the border police to arrive.. having had passports stamps strictly you should leave at once - If you enter by a port of entry or ferry terminal you will probably be allowed to walk to the frontier police office and have your passports stamped in and out..

Runcible

Visit site
Is there anything new on this? We are sailing out of The Netherlands (we are USA citizens) to the UK in a week or so and need to find out how to get stamped out of the Schengen zone when we depart. We are finding nothing out about how this is done.