Visiting France

sfellows

Visit site

Bandit

Visit site
I also posted this in another post today: "Preavis Immigration"

Assuming you are not looking to travel in early March, some of the info on french port websites could be out of date ?

I sent this to a port in north Brittany last week :
Dear Sir or Madam

I could not find the customs declaration sheet on your website for visiting private boats arriving from the Channel Islands or the United Kingdom.

Can you please confirm whether the system as used in 2022 will be the same for 2023 and what date will this entry procedure start?

For a yachtsman from the Channel Islands or the UK travelling to St Malo or St Brieuc to clear customs is very time consuming, expensive and unattractive. Whereas deep water 24 hour tidal access ports such St Cast or St Quay-Portrieux would be quick, practical and convenient.

Yours sincerely

The reply I got was not encouraging:
Hello Sir,

For the moment, we have no idea about the organisation. We hope that it will be the same procedure as next year and that we can welcome you in the same conditions.
This is pending for now… You can send us a e-mail in April, maybe we will have some news.

Hope to see you soon again.
Kind regards.

ETIAS is due into service in November 2023, it would appear they have not agreed the system for this year? Perhaps private boats going on holiday from UK to France was top of Rishi's list when he met Christine Le Garde, but I doubt it!!!!!!!!!!

Lightwave395

Visit site
I also posted this in another post today: "Preavis Immigration"

Assuming you are not looking to travel in early March, some of the info on french port websites could be out of date ?

I sent this to a port in north Brittany last week :
Dear Sir or Madam

I could not find the customs declaration sheet on your website for visiting private boats arriving from the Channel Islands or the United Kingdom.

Can you please confirm whether the system as used in 2022 will be the same for 2023 and what date will this entry procedure start?

For a yachtsman from the Channel Islands or the UK travelling to St Malo or St Brieuc to clear customs is very time consuming, expensive and unattractive. Whereas deep water 24 hour tidal access ports such St Cast or St Quay-Portrieux would be quick, practical and convenient.

Yours sincerely

The reply I got was not encouraging:
Hello Sir,

For the moment, we have no idea about the organisation. We hope that it will be the same procedure as next year and that we can welcome you in the same conditions.
This is pending for now… You can send us a e-mail in April, maybe we will have some news.

Hope to see you soon again.
Kind regards.

ETIAS is due into service in November 2023, it would appear they have not agreed the system for this year? Perhaps private boats going on holiday from UK to France was top of Rishi's list when he met Christine Le Garde, but I doubt it!!!!!!!!!!
Roscoff hasn't changed

Bandit

Visit site
Roscoff hasn't changed
roscoff is one of the main ports of entry in Northern Brittany, with permanent customs offices, along with Brest, St Brieuc and St Malo ( the last two are next to useless as they are tidal) the one I was one quoting was one of the secondary ports that had a work around in 2022.

doug748

Visit site
I am not sure we can class St Malo as next to useless on tidal grounds, or any other come to think of it.

My guess would be that, for early season trips, it would be better not to rely on last year's dispensation, if it leads to worry. No doubt they will get around to sorting it, sometime 😐

Last edited:

Bandit

Visit site
I am not sure we can class St Malo as next to useless on tidal grounds, or any other come to think of it.

My guess would be that, for early season trips, it would be better not to rely on last year's dispensation, if it leads to worry. No doubt they will get around to sorting it, sometime 😐
My point is I have a 48ft motor boat , to clear customs in St Malo , I am too large for the Bas Sablons marina so I would have to go in to the bassin Vauban through the lock so 2.5 hrs before HW To 2.5 hours after HW , it takes about an hour to get through the lock each way. So If i was going for a few days in St Cast it is hardly convenient and you would struggle to arrive enter, walk up to customs who probably close for a couple of hours over lunch time, walk back and leave on the same tide, all for what? St Quay Portrieux is in the same boat going to St Brieuc with locks and a four hour tidal window is even worse. A large marina such as St Quay Portrieux has no customs office, but St Brieuc that has next to no visiting yachts and about one international shipping movement a month historically has one. Both St Cast and St Quay are 24 hour entry.

ashtead

Visit site
St Cast is far easier to berth in certainly having visited a few times and the facilities are far better than the portabins at st Malo but of course you miss the delights of the nightlife,music and fireworks etc . Certainly checking out of st Malo if you have been stamped in there via the ferry is interesting - they don’t seem to be geared up to stamp out non ferry foot passengers so you stand in line as if a car. In comparison no formalities apply at st cast . The trick is to head to st Malo after say 5 days enjoying st cast and hence tidal times far easier and if you are lucky the lock staff might even help with the lines.

Bathdave

Visit site
My point is I have a 48ft motor boat , to clear customs in St Malo , I am too large for the Bas Sablons marina so I would have to go in to the bassin Vauban through the lock so 2.5 hrs before HW To 2.5 hours after HW , it takes about an hour to get through the lock each way. So If i was going for a few days in St Cast it is hardly convenient and you would struggle to arrive enter, walk up to customs who probably close for a couple of hours over lunch time, walk back and leave on the same tide, all for what? St Quay Portrieux is in the same boat going to St Brieuc with locks and a four hour tidal window is even worse. A large marina such as St Quay Portrieux has no customs office, but St Brieuc that has next to no visiting yachts and about one international shipping movement a month historically has one. Both St Cast and St Quay are 24 hour entry.
I know people who tied up outside the lock into Vaubin, which is much closer to the ferry terminal and the customs office, walked round, git stamped and walked back to boat and were away.

but actually you most likely will be allowed to check in at St Cast directly again this year, via on line form submission, as everyone seemed to think that special arrangement worked well enough in 2022