Virgo Voyager mast

tilmansailing

Visit site
I have a friend who owns a Virgo Voyager. He is not a computer user and has asked me to find out how he can take his mast down. The problem seems to be that he cannot see how to disconnect the mast heel from the step. I am too far away to easily visit so am not clear about what his query is.
No doubt there are a variety of fixing methods but he said that there is a bolt(?) which he cannot see how to remove.
Anyone, please advise.

steve6367

www.ybw.com
Did mine a few times - once without a crane (which I would not recommend)!

If its the same as mine there is a pin to remove which holds the foot in place then simply left with the crane. If doing it by hand, leave the pin in a pivot.

Steve

ianat182

Visit site
First of all do not remove the bolt. It is there to secure the base of the mast and also act as a pivot whe the mast is lowered; sometimes the mast has a metal casing with a bolt through that we call a tabernacle, but the same answer is do not remove the bolt--yet.
If you are going to lower the mast then this has to be done methodically for a safe job and only when completely lowered do you remove the bolt ,if you have to.
The Virgo Voyager may be fitted with a furling jib and mechanism to furl it,if so the stages are as follows:
(1)Check at the mast foot for any electrical or other connections which need to be detached/disconnected remove boom and mainsail, kicker and mainsheet tackle and topping lift. Remove the jib from the furling gear and pack away,this will leave the furling gear empty of sail and the spool full of the furling line.
(2)Detach the main halyard from the top of the sail if not already done,and tie off securely at thecleat on the mast.take the tail of the same halyard to the bow ans tie a bowline in it so that the loop is just about 9" from the bow roller.
(3) pass a second rope through the bow roller and back to the bowline of the first tying a second one to the first. now take the tail of this rope to the main winch in the aft cockpit and place at least three turns on the winch.
(4) Take up the tension on the main winch; this will slacken the furling gear,so detach the spool and foil from the stem bow fitting, if possible do not unscrew any bottlescrew ,just remove the clevis pin,or possibly a shackle, here.
Release the foil and take outside the lifelines taking care not to kink the foil.
(5) Retain the tension of the main halyard on the winch, and slacken off each of the outer shrouds, then the inner stays. (It is possible that the mast has been fitted with a babystay,if so, now is the time to remove this completely from the deck fitting.
(6)Check that all bottlescrews are loosened enough that they camove easily and freely,or you may bend the threaded parts,some people tie a thin cord to keep themunder control but a check of these whilst lowering the mast is wise.
Whilst not necessary you may also slacken the backstay bottlescrew, if you do,mark the original position before unscrewing with adhesive tape to help restore the original backstay setting when replacing the mast.
(7) Lash a short step ladder to the aft guardrail firmly with about 3 rungs above the height of the guardrail and a towel for padding on the upper rung.
(8) At least 2 persons and preferably 3 are needed at this point. One reliable person on the winch,one at the mast and the other person to check bottlescrews and further padding that may be required. (As the mast gets lower an extra hand to support the weight will be needed.)
The mast may need a slight nudge to start it lowering,the pivot bolt is there to stop it jumping forward later on. The winch man must ease the rope from the winch slowly,and at about 1/3rd of the way down stop the easing until both helpers are in position beneath the lowered mast, and taking part of the weight being lowered onto the ladder rung aft.Any extra help at this crucial stage should be directed to ensure the bottlescrews are still able to swivel and are not bending and the furler foil is not being trapped or kinked. The rope is gradually eased until reaching the ladder rung.
(9)The next job is to tidy and release the lower clevis pins and rings on all stays, and lash stays,and furling foil and spool to the mast with shock cords or some thin line. If the mast is staying aboard the spreaders will probably be across the cockpit, so the pivot bolt is now removed to free the mast foot.No need to remove the spreaders though. Lift the mast bodily off the ladder rungs and rest on the rail temporarily.
The whole mast then lifted forward with the foot secured to the bow guardrail (pulpit) and supported upon some fenders on the cabin roof. It will be wise to remove/pivot VHF aerials and Windhawk indicators,possibly even masthead lights to prevent breakage or theft.
Last of all replace the pivot bolt on the mast base together with the nut.
The job can be done by a lifting crane, or an 'a' frame set-up, but that is your choice.

Hope this of help.

ianat182

Last edited:

tilmansailing

Visit site
Virgo Voyager mast 2

Ian,
Many thanks for your comprehensive answer. I have read through what you say and I understood it, hopefully my friend will too.
I have copied your answer and e-mailed it to him. Awaiting a response.

OGITD

Visit site
There's only the one bolt as standard.

Ian,
Many thanks for your comprehensive answer. I have read through what you say and I understood it, hopefully my friend will too.
I have copied your answer and e-mailed it to him. Awaiting a response.

Hi M!,
There is only the one bolt fitted as standard. :rolleyes:
The easiest way (if not letting the yard / marina staff & crane) to lower & raise a mast is with the use of halyards from yachts either side with a strop around the spreaders.
But if he is insistent on doing it on a “self lowering basis / method” then there appears to be a large A-frame with rope in our scrap pile at the Club which should help.
I personally have only used the “buddy-boat" system as we do in the Club.
J.

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
This is a Virgo Voyager, not a 'J' Class !

If the mast step isn't pivotted Sailspar may well be able to help, they are very helpful and have a selection of mast foot fittings.

We Anderson 22 lot find 2 people ( 3 if a headsail roller foil is involved ) and a simple wooden 'X' frame lashed to the pushpit does the job - with the standard pivotted step, rather than tabernacle but that would be even easier...

If curious I'll send you the A22 'Top Tips' which covers this and a lot more, most applies to the V.V, I won't mention the differences here !

andylaw119@hotmail.com

Last edited:

William_H

Visit site
Mast lowering

As described assuming the pivot bolt will permit the pivoting of the mast. However as the mast approaches horizontal the simple rope to the forestay or top of the mast and around a winch can get very hard to hold. (and even harder to raise this way) hands under the mast can only lift or support to a limited degree. You can aleviate some of the problem by having a very high crutch at the back.
If the crutch is low you may also find that the mast is balanced or even top heavy on the support such that when you remove the pivot bolt the base wants to rise. This problem is less with a high support at the back.
However the safest way to lower the mast is with a prop of some sort which pivots from near the mast base to the bottom of the forestay to force the forestay (or halyard) up high so improving the leverage in raising/lowering the mast.
So I use 2 spin poles from U bolts on the deck abeam the mast which attach to the bottom of the forestay/halyard from there I use a 3 purchase pulley system back to the winch. This makes the raising /lowering quite easy on a 27ft (light) mast. All you need is a helper to hold the mast central as it goes down. just be careful olewill