Video of an anchor as it is dug in.

Dave100456

Visit site
Hi Jonathan
14.99m, around 20ton, and engine is 110hp with a Gori overdrive/folding prop. The anchor is one size larger than Ultra suggest (35kg). I spend approx 15 weeks per season at anchor and have had the benefit of revisiting anchorages I frequented when I had the 25kg Delta that was original equipment. it would perhaps not be fair to compare a 25kg variant with a 45kg one but can say the set is quicker and more reliable as you would expect from new generation type.
I am very happy with the Ultra and was fortunate that in Turkey, its country of manufacture, its list price compares favourably with a new generation imported one and there's always a deal to be done!
Cheers

Neeves

Visit site
Hi Dave,

Thanks. I have to agree with your comment on the performance of the Ultra. The distributor here, generously, leant me one to try. I was slightly afraid to use it - they look absolutely gorgeous. But it would be wasted with us as our anchor hangs unseen (by the masses) below the trampoline except when its in use and then unseen by almost everyone. But the Ultra works exceptionally well (its not only decorative), is not fazed by medium density weed, works as well as many others in mud (not as good as Fortress - but its exceptional) and works well in sand. I had to return the one I used, maybe I sleep better not worrying I might lose it!

Turkey is a long way for most of us to visit to buy an anchor - and they soon get too big for the parsimonious luggage allowance on aircraft! :(

If they got round to making a galvanised version - they would have another winner.

I would need to also agree - comparing a 45kg Ultra and a 25kg Delta is not entirely fair and maybe unkind.

Keep up the good work on the videos. I know its hard work - been there, doing that!

Jonathan

Delfin

Visit site
In the version of your YouTube that appeared on the link you attached - your video acts a a direct and seamless introduction to a video presentation by Mantus. I might suggest that if you do not want the suggestion there is a link between you and Mantus then you ask Mantus to sever the link - simple really. However a continuous and repetitive posting on the excellence of a product associated with a video which seems to act as an introduction to a commercial promotion might lead many people to think there is more than a strong association.

If you think it a healthy coincidence - then leave as it is :)

Jonathan

Whatever the commercial connection, or lack thereof, the promotion of Mantus by Mr. Noelex seems rather endless. I like my Ultra, and am happy to recommend it, but I frankly can't imagine posting hundreds of images and many videos of how swell it is while simultaneously suggesting that all other anchors fail in comparison. I'm reminded of Groucho Marx' comment to the woman who told him she liked kids so had 20 of them. Groucho said he liked his cigar but he took it out of his mouth once in awhile.

Perhaps post a video of, oh, say, mooring lines just for a change of pace.

noelex

Visit site
I have taken very few videos, but as Delfin has indicated, I have taken lots of photos of anchors over the last 18 months since I purchased an underwater camera.

I have posted a photo of every single anchor we have seen over this 18 month period, as well as every set of our own anchor. I have done this deliberately so the anchors are not in any way selected or cherry picked. I would encourage people to look at the images for themselves. They show anchors performing in the real world.

In my view the Mantus, Rocna and Spade have all performed exceptionally well (from previous observations I would also include the Manson Supreme in this group). Ideally you need to look at lot examples taking into account all the variables, but there is a very obvious difference between between the excellent anchors and the more average performing models.

The Ultra is a relatively new anchor. I have posted some photos (perhaps 20-30?) of this model performing underwater so take a look if you are interested. Hopefully Dave will post some more videos to add to the knowledge base.

affinite

Visit site
I have taken very few videos, but as Delfin has indicated, I have taken lots of photos of anchors over the last 18 months since I purchased an underwater camera.

I have posted a photo of every single anchor we have seen over this 18 month period, as well as every set of our own anchor. I have done this deliberately so the anchors are not in any way selected or cherry picked. I would encourage people to look at the images for themselves. They show anchors performing in the real world.

Noelex
I thought you had a Rocna on the bow ?

In my view the Mantus, Rocna and Spade have all performed exceptionally well (from previous observations I would also include the Manson Supreme in this group). Ideally you need to look at lot examples taking into account all the variables, but there is a very obvious difference between between the excellent anchors and the more average performing models.

The Ultra is a relatively new anchor. I have posted some photos (perhaps 20-30?) of this model performing underwater so take a look if you are interested. Hopefully Dave will post some more videos to add to the knowledge base.

Noelex
I thought you had a Rocna on the bow ?

SaltyMetals

Visit site
We each have our personal prejudices about which is the best anchor but there is an excellent series of videos comparing a whole range of anchors that you can watch on the Cruisers Forum . Link is http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/videos-of-anchors-setting-155412.html .

The guy doing the series has covered about 20 different designs and does a SET, then reverse at 3000rpm, then he simulates a current/wind reversal and pulls the anchor 180 deg in opposite direction. Then the same increase in rpm up to 3000. Fascinating, without having any pre-conceived preferences. I won't tell you which ones come out as being the best. Watch the video series and make yr own conclusion.

GHA

Visit site
We each have our personal prejudices about which is the best anchor but there is an excellent series of videos comparing a whole range of anchors that you can watch on the Cruisers Forum . Link is http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/videos-of-anchors-setting-155412.html .

The guy doing the series has covered about 20 different designs and does a SET, then reverse at 3000rpm, then he simulates a current/wind reversal and pulls the anchor 180 deg in opposite direction. Then the same increase in rpm up to 3000. Fascinating, without having any pre-conceived preferences. I won't tell you which ones come out as being the best. Watch the video series and make yr own conclusion.

+1

Fantastic series of videos.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
If they got round to making a galvanised version - they would have another winner.

Jonathan
Here's one :)
The problem is, they cannot be hot dip galvanized so this one ,made by yours trully, has been hot zinc sprayed. It works just like the original .Sets instantly in its own length. Due to the ballasted tip it's heavier than the equivalent Rocna though.

ee290c0d-3396-4bfa-ac46-f579607570d5_zpsqn6djj90.jpg

Neeves

Visit site

+1

They are excellent, especially the more recent ones where he has moved the camera to offer side shots. An amazing investment in time (and imaginative location of the recent camera position). You do need a lot of time if you are starting afresh. But he passes little, in fact no, comment and leaves the viewer to judge. He destroys many prejudices.

He also made a summary of his videos, a few words of his interpretation - but he concludes that most genuine anchors work factorially better than any of the copies from which I might deduce that many anchors being condemned, by others, as generic groups is an example of simple ignorance (or prejudice) - not knowledge.

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
Here's one :)
The problem is, they cannot be hot dip galvanized so this one ,made by yours trully, has been hot zinc sprayed. It works just like the original .Sets instantly in its own length. Due to the ballasted tip it's heavier than the equivalent Rocna though.

Nice looking anchor, you are to be commended. Is the hollow shank critical - if it were HT steel, so lighter and maybe stronger - would it not work just as well and be simpler?

I note your comment that it cannot be HDG. I have to ask, why not?

Roll bars, that are commonly hollow, are subject to HDG, and do not appear to cause any issues. The holes in the hollow sections, of the roll bars are tiny, 2.3mm with the tube open at each end. For your shank, what is to stop those holes being plugged after HDG, drive a bung in? Epoxy a bung, Even weld and then hot zinc spray.

There are other galvanising processes, look up Sherardizing, that will allow you to galvanise the interior of tubes, with only 2-3mm holes, and galvanise intricate shapes. Technology is not restricted to HDG

Jonathan

Edit You say its heavier than the equivalent Rocna, that does not make it better or worse. It might be heavier - but maybe it works better, or worse. Again, as it was a one off, maybe if you had used HT steel in the fluke it could have been lighter (thinner steel).? I can suggest you have an enormous potential for more work during these long winter nights :) close edit

Last edited:

30boat

N/A
Visit site
Nice looking anchor, you are to be commended. Is the hollow shank critical - if it were HT steel, so lighter and maybe stronger - would it not work just as well and be simpler?

I note your comment that it cannot be HDG. I have to ask, why not?

Roll bars, that are commonly hollow, are subject to HDG, and do not appear to cause any issues. The holes in the hollow sections, of the roll bars are tiny, 2.3mm with the tube open at each end. For your shank, what is to stop those holes being plugged after HDG, drive a bung in? Epoxy a bung, Even weld and then hot zinc spray.

There are other galvanising processes, look up Sherardizing, that will allow you to galvanise the interior of tubes, with only 2-3mm holes, and galvanise intricate shapes. Technology is not restricted to HDG

Jonathan

Edit You say its heavier than the equivalent Rocna, that does not make it better or worse. It might be heavier - but maybe it works better, or worse. Again, as it was a one off, maybe if you had used HT steel in the fluke it could have been lighter (thinner steel).? I can suggest you have an enormous potential for more work during these long winter nights :) close edit
:) Thanks for your comments. High tensile steel would make the anchor stronger and better balanced but I can't get any. Hot dip galvanizing is not possible on these anchors because they're hollow on the underside where the lead ballast is placed.And the lead would melt too. I imagine that's why they're only available in stainless.The hollow shank is not the problem ,it could be made with a hole or two.Personally I think it's nothing more than a gimmick.A solid one à la Rocna would be just as strong ,cheaper and lighter.Just not as flashy looking.
The design is very good indeed and the ballasted tip makes it dig very quickly.
I have to resist the urge to start another anchor already :)

Neeves

Visit site
I cannot work out if the air filled shank is a gimmick or not - maybe someone else can comment. But if the fluke is also air filled, or partially, that then that seems to contradict any spin on the airfilled shank. I confess I have insufficient motivation to buy a genuine Ultra and cut it up to look inside the fluke!

The alternative to the lead (and the air filled void in the fluke) is to make it up with simply an open pocket in the toe and take it to your local foundry and have them cast, steel, into the toe and then leave the pocket open (I cannot see that the beautiful finish of the Ultra on the underside of the fluke will be that critical). If this does not cut the mustard, you might not find a sympathetic foundry, then leave the pocket empty, galvanise as per normal and then melt lead into the toe (and again leave the toe 'open' which is, after all, what Spade do).

Normally I'd discourage a copy but as copying did not discourage neither Ultra nor Vulcan and it is for your own use I can only applaud your efforts and the finish you appear to have achieved.

HT steels can be very difficult to find. You need to know someone who uses them and then beg or borrow or in the worst case - buy! But if you don't know anyone its very difficult as the little you need is not enough for most distributors.

Jonathan

30boat

N/A
Visit site
I cannot work out if the air filled shank is a gimmick or not - maybe someone else can comment. But if the fluke is also air filled, or partially, that then that seems to contradict any spin on the airfilled shank. I confess I have insufficient motivation to buy a genuine Ultra and cut it up to look inside the fluke!

The alternative to the lead (and the air filled void in the fluke) is to make it up with simply an open pocket in the toe and take it to your local foundry and have them cast, steel, into the toe and then leave the pocket open (I cannot see that the beautiful finish of the Ultra on the underside of the fluke will be that critical). If this does not cut the mustard, you might not find a sympathetic foundry, then leave the pocket empty, galvanise as per normal and then melt lead into the toe (and again leave the toe 'open' which is, after all, what Spade do).

Normally I'd discourage a copy but as copying did not discourage neither Ultra nor Vulcan and it is for your own use I can only applaud your efforts and the finish you appear to have achieved.

HT steels can be very difficult to find. You need to know someone who uses them and then beg or borrow or in the worst case - buy! But if you don't know anyone its very difficult as the little you need is not enough for most distributors.

Jonathan

I wouldn't know where to start looking for HT steel to be honest although I have several engineer friends and they could eventually find some for me. But for a one off I can live with the compromise ie heavier anchor.
I'm sure Ultra could make an anchor in the way you describe but one of their selling points is looks.People like to show them off.
The thing is effective though.

doug748

Visit site

The guy doing the series has covered about 20 different designs and does a SET, then reverse at 3000rpm, then he simulates a current/wind reversal and pulls the anchor 180 deg in opposite direction. Then the same increase in rpm up to 3000. Fascinating, without having any pre-conceived preferences.

................................ I won't tell you which ones come out as being the best. Watch the video series and make yr own conclusion.

Thanks for that.

Hooray, my old timer anchor back from the dead.