Victron IP 22 12/30 smart charger..mixed battery types

pandos

Visit site
My new to boat has one of these fitted. It has 3 outputs, 30 amp.

Batteries were arranged as one standard ( wet) LA starter, and one wet LA and one lithium joined to form a house bank. There was an unfitted lithium.

The professional who fitted the charger put a jumper between two of the outputs and connected the combined output to a broken wire, and connected the other output to the house (mixed) bank.

The only way to charge the starter battery was to use the 1 2 both switch.

I have sorted some of the set up.

I took out the blocking diodes and put the two lithium batteries together to be charged via an Orion smart DC to DC charger, from alternator, via the starter battery. (haven't tested this yet, fuel system being worked on)

The mains battery charger is connected to both banks with the jumper removed and is putting current into both.

On Bluetooth the charger just shows one output and seemingly it is not possible to use different charge regimes simultaneously.

As I have a mixed bag of batteries do I need to add a second charger and set one for LA and the other for lithiums, or which setting should I use.

At this stage another 120 for a second charger is better than a ruined battery especially two ruined lithiums, is this the best option..

TIA..

PaulRainbow

Visit site
My new to boat has one of these fitted. It has 3 outputs, 30 amp.

Batteries were arranged as one standard ( wet) LA starter, and one wet LA and one lithium joined to form a house bank. There was an unfitted lithium.

The professional who fitted the charger put a jumper between two of the outputs and connected the combined output to a broken wire, and connected the other output to the house (mixed) bank.
Your "professional" is an idiot.
The only way to charge the starter battery was to use the 1 2 both switch.
That's not a great way of switching, especially for your setup with LA and Lithium. Separate switches would be much better.
I have sorted some of the set up.

I took out the blocking diodes and put the two lithium batteries together to be charged via an Orion smart DC to DC charger, from alternator, via the starter battery. (haven't tested this yet, fuel system being worked on)

The mains battery charger is connected to both banks with the jumper removed and is putting current into both.

On Bluetooth the charger just shows one output and seemingly it is not possible to use different charge regimes simultaneously.
You can only use one regime. It's not three chargers in one, it's a charger with three outputs, kept separate by diodes.
As I have a mixed bag of batteries do I need to add a second charger and set one for LA and the other for lithiums, or which setting should I use.

At this stage another 120 for a second charger is better than a ruined battery especially two ruined lithiums, is this the best option..

TIA..
A separate charger would be the best solution, IMO. But the engine battery needs minimal charging to keep it topped up, so you can fit a much smaller, less expensive charger.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Been there, although for different reasons.

Made this modular setup to manage 3 battery banks. Everything connected by IP classified connectors to enable fast removal of the panel for servicing etc.

Due to an existing 1-2-both-off switch for start batteries, this must be set to OFF for these two banks to be charged individually

1724052105449.png

Works very well, during winter storage they kept all banks at full capacity using only £1 per month!

pandos

Visit site
Thanks all.

Yep the professional is an idiot...it's increasingly difficult to find anyone here to do work on boats. And when someone turns up there is no guarantee they know what they are doing.

I am going to opt for a similar charger with 15 amp output on the grounds of redundancy in case the existing one has not fully survived being "jumpered" and whilst being fitted horizontally..

One further question,; in addition to a windlass and a bow thruster, both of which are wired to the engine start battery, there is also a hydraulic pump to lift the keel. I do not know the amps drawn but it is wired with 40sq cables so it is not likely to be a small load. Is it ok to wire this to the lithiums? AFAIK it takes about a minute to lift the keel.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks all.

Yep the professional is an idiot...it's increasingly difficult to find anyone here to do work on boats. And when someone turns up there is no guarantee they know what they are doing.

I am going to opt for a similar charger with 15 amp output on the grounds of redundancy in case the existing one has not fully survived being "jumpered" and whilst being fitted horizontally..
Bridging outputs won't hurt the charger. Not a good idea to fit horizontally, but doubt it's hurt it.
One further question,; in addition to a windlass and a bow thruster, both of which are wired to the engine start battery, there is also a hydraulic pump to lift the keel. I do not know the amps drawn but it is wired with 40sq cables so it is not likely to be a small load. Is it ok to wire this to the lithiums? AFAIK it takes about a minute to lift the keel.
I'd run the keel pump from the engine battery, with the engine running.