VHF re-registration

Refueler

Visit site
Thanks PaulRainbow, that would seem to be straightforward enough once I find where I can get the radios reset, hopefully locally.
Now she is remaining in the UK I also want to sail her under the red ensign which I presume would also be ok even with German registered VHF? The boat is not on a German ships register.

If boat is not registered anywhere and basically you and boat are based out of UK ..... stick the Red Duster up .............. not a problem. Only time its not allowed - if boat is registered outside UK.

Daverw

Visit site
We were asked at this years insurance renewal for UK registration details, we had them so easy to answer but not sure the result if we were not registered

soggybottom

Visit site
MMSI is not "deletable" without software to do so, it's part of the DSC standards.
I don't think that can be strictly true unless a very recent adopted standard. Although many DSC sets may need dealer software, some definitely don't. I've had current models of Cobra and Lowrance. In both cases, the MMSI was reset with a key sequence. In the case of my Lowrance Link8 I reset it myself when I fitted it to my new boat two years ago. I didn't want to replace it as it was only about a year or so old at the time.
If anyone does need to reset their MMSI it's worth checking this capability with a dealer before going to the hassle of posting out the equipment.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I don't think that can be strictly true unless a very recent adopted standard. Although many DSC sets may need dealer software, some definitely don't. I've had current models of Cobra and Lowrance. In both cases, the MMSI was reset with a key sequence. In the case of my Lowrance Link8 I reset it myself when I fitted it to my new boat two years ago. I didn't want to replace it as it was only about a year or so old at the time.
If anyone does need to reset their MMSI it's worth checking this capability with a dealer before going to the hassle of posting out the equipment.

The OP has Standard Horizon and Icom radios, they cannot be reset with key sequences.

The Lowrance Link 8 is not a current set. Current rules state that the MMSI cannot be user reset, not sure how many more times this has to be reposted, before some people stop denying it.

Last edited:

soggybottom

Visit site
The OP has Standard Horizon and Icom radios, they cannot be reset with key sequences.

The Lowrance Link 8 is not a current set. Current rules state that the MMSI cannot be user reset, not sure how many more times this has to be reposted, before some people stop denying it.
Blimey, a bit touchy there... my apologies if you took that as a personal rebuttal, it wasn't meant that way. I did say unless a recent change in ruling (it must affect only sets at earliest <5 y/o so fairly recent). I was just pointing out that it is possible for some radios. I understand that it may not be possible for the OP with a particular manufacturer and/or year but from personal experience as a general rule, many used radios (re-programmming of MMSI will be on used sets by nature of the issue) can be user reset. From experience I know that Cobra, Lowrance and Simrad can. Possibly others? My purpose of saying so was not to undermine you personally or mis-advise the OP but so as not to leave this thread archived with misleading info should other members be looking for answers later.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Blimey, a bit touchy there... my apologies if you took that as a personal rebuttal, it wasn't meant that way. I did say unless a recent change in ruling (it must affect only sets at earliest <5 y/o so fairly recent). I was just pointing out that it is possible for some radios. I understand that it may not be possible for the OP with a particular manufacturer and/or year but from personal experience as a general rule, many used radios (re-programmming of MMSI will be on used sets by nature of the issue) can be user reset. From experience I know that Cobra, Lowrance and Simrad can. Possibly others? My purpose of saying so was not to undermine you personally or mis-advise the OP but so as not to leave this thread archived with misleading info should other members be looking for answers later.

You are mistaken, it's not a recent rule, it was there from day one. Some manufacturers included "secret" key combinations or other methods, designed to be used by dealers, to clear the MMSI. These inevitably leaked out and as far as i'm aware there are no current sets with such a feature.

There some models of Cobra radios. an odd Lowrance and one (possibly two) Simrad sets that could be reset as above.

As far as i am aware, all other manufacturers have never used such procedures. The OPs sets can categorically not be set without the appropriate software.

The same rules apply to AIS transponders, they cannot be user reset.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Thanks for all the comments.
I have a fixed SH1700 and a hand held Icom 91D. As “Daverw” said they have UK based service centres, I’ll check what’s available on west coast of Scotland. From a safety point of view I don’t really see a downside staying with the German MMSI but now we’re UK based it seemed the right thing to do.

The downside of keeping the German MMSI is that in the case of an emergency your details will be sent to the wrong countries rescue and coordination centre. By changing to a UK MMSI will ensure that in the case of an emergency your details are sent to our UK coordination centre in Falmouth. This might not be critical but could result in delays especially if there is an emergency contact number related to the previous owner registered with the MMSI. This may be the case if the previous owner had a registered EPIRB.

There is an electronics service place at Irvine and Inverkip which may help here however Yaesu/ Standard Vertex have a place in the south of England who may be able to help and point you to alternatives. Icom also have a place down south and I have found them very helpful.

Boat Electrics and Electronics | Marine Electrics | BEE Ltd

Contact Us - Standard Horizon

Icom Support - Icom UK

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
The downside of keeping the German MMSI is that in the case of an emergency your details will be sent to the wrong countries rescue and coordination centre.

If it's an epirb (which don't normally have an mmsi) then it'll be passed to where that's registered. But a DSC mayday will have the position attached, and would be subject to the limited range of VHF so surely would be handled by the closest mrcc?

petedg

Visit site
But a DSC mayday will have the position attached, and would be subject to the limited range of VHF so surely would be handled by the closest mrcc?
Thats a good point Windy, I would have thought so too, maybe someone comes with a definitive answer.

Bilgediver

Visit site
If it's an epirb (which don't normally have an mmsi) then it'll be passed to where that's registered. But a DSC mayday will have the position attached, and would be subject to the limited range of VHF so surely would be handled by the closest mrcc?
Some countries do register additional details to the hex code which can include MMSI and or call sign or vessel name. There is memory space for this and an EPIRB beacon activation is sent to the flag state MRCC which in our case is in Falmouth.
I was once standing on an oil rig off Israel when a phone rang. The skipper answered the call and then walked over to the EPIRB which was in its rack but flashing. Apparently rain water had found its way in and caused it to activate and the call was Falmouth MRCC checking we were afloat before they called in the navy to rescue us . Falmouth would have got the phone number from the emergency contact database. The notification would have been relayed to Falmouth via satellite HQ which in those days was in Washington DC.

Yes a VHF DSC call will be dealt with at local level by the local coastguard and or local shipping.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Some countries do register additional details to the hex code which can include MMSI and or call sign or vessel name. There is memory space for this and an EPIRB beacon activation is sent to the flag state MRCC which in our case is in Falmouth.
I was once standing on an oil rig off Israel when a phone rang. The skipper answered the call and then walked over to the EPIRB which was in its rack but flashing. Apparently rain water had found its way in and caused it to activate and the call was Falmouth MRCC checking we were afloat before they called in the navy to rescue us . Falmouth would have got the phone number from the emergency contact database. The notification would have been relayed to Falmouth via satellite HQ which in those days was in Washington DC.

Yes a VHF DSC call will be dealt with at local level by the local coastguard and or local shipping.

Why do you keep posting about an EPIRB. the OP doesn't have one.

You just keep making it all look more difficult than it is.

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
Some countries do register additional details to the hex code which can include MMSI and or call sign or vessel name.
Well yeah, they keep all sorts of details but the epirb doesn't typically have an mmsi. But either way it's just a case of updating the registration details. No different to if the emergency contact changed.

It's only the DSC stuff that's problematic because the spec requires it to be a dealer job.

Even if it isn't.