VHF Radio licence

wonkywinch

Visit site
FWIW I thought the fee for the training and exam was money well spent. And it’s chicken feed compared to the overall cost of running a boat.
I've had a radio amateurs licence for 50 years, a pilot's licence for 40 years but the SRC VHF course & exam still taught me "stuff", particularly DSC, channel use etc. Very useful day out.

Alicatt

Visit site
Here a boat of 7.5m or more requires a VHF to be fitted, for inland waterways, if the boat is on the sea then you are required to have 2 radios on the boat, the radio licence for the boat just costs the time to fill in the form and within the week you will have a nice shiny new licence with MMSI, ATIS codes and your call sign.
Licence EditedSM.jpg

I did the VHF SRC exam after the PB level 2 course, my wife who knows nothing about radios got to play the part of the other radio station during the exam, it gave her a bit of confidence on how a radio works.
The course and exam was £69 when booked along with the PB level 2 compare that with the cost of the SRC course in Belgium at €300+ then the cost of the exam on top of that, £69 seems very good value for your money.

Edit: been a radio ham since 1980 and before that I was installing ships radios on fishing boats.

lustyd

Visit site
I googled gdpr. Seems to me that it's great having regulations for the honest, but what about the dishonest? Real question.
Have a Google for fines that have been imposed. I think Facebook still hold the record. The dishonest are being slapped quite hard with this one. It took a while for the US to realise it applied to them but it is becoming effective.
The dishonest these days are often taking copies of people’s documents and selling them to supplement their low wages 😂

capnsensible

Visit site
They must have been checking for installation licences not operating licenses, and even then, what are they practically gonna do if you haven't got one to hand? Now they could check online which totally negates the point of asking, whereas back in the day are they really going to go to all the effort of finding if you have an installation license?

I suspect they were looking for something else and just used the radio installation as an excuse to engage people.
Fab set of assumptions. Well done.

capnsensible

Visit site
Have a Google for fines that have been imposed. I think Facebook still hold the record. The dishonest are being slapped quite hard with this one. It took a while for the US to realise it applied to them but it is becoming effective.
The dishonest these days are often taking copies of people’s documents and selling them to supplement their low wages 😂
It n must be difficult to trap the hackers? My brief look at wikileaks shows a state actor at it......gawd knows what else goes on.

diverd

Visit site
I dont understand why someone regularly using a boat or VHF radio would not get the simple and in boating terms low cost VHF license. Would it be a fear of failing or not understanding the course? The price? Or simply because its unlikely not having it will give you problems?
An informal survey was done in our marina last summer, asking amoungst other things if boat owners had a VHF license. Many did not, and it was interesting so many of those who did not were also the boat owners with just 2 fenders, or who were using old 2nd hand overly thin mooring lines.

Should the question not be, Why would you not bother getting a VHF license

Mark-1

Visit site
I dont understand why someone regularly using a boat or VHF radio would not get the simple and in boating terms low cost VHF license. Would it be a fear of failing or not understanding the course? The price? Or simply because its unlikely not having it will give you problems?
An informal survey was done in our marina last summer, asking amoungst other things if boat owners had a VHF license. Many did not, and it was interesting so many of those who did not were also the boat owners with just 2 fenders, or who were using old 2nd hand overly thin mooring lines.

Should the question not be, Why would you not bother getting a VHF license

I don't know but to your suggestions I'd add that I'm pretty sure the course takes two days, or did 20 years ago.

You can't even do it until you're 16 so that's another group of people who couldn't do it if they wanted to.

Whatever the reason, it they made the exam free and online it would increase the takeup, I'm sure.

capnsensible

Visit site
I don't know but to your suggestions I'd add that I'm pretty sure the course takes two days, or did 20 years ago.

You can't even do it until you're 16 so that's another group of people who couldn't do it if they wanted to.

Whatever the reason, it they made the exam free and online it would increase the takeup, I'm sure.
I'm afraid you are out of date.

capnsensible

Visit site
Though to fit it in one day you do have to solemnly swear that you've done at least 3 (?) hours of independent study of the pre course materials, I think
https://www.rya.org.uk/training/courses/marine-radio-short-range-certificate-course-srcc

Step 1. If you are not the holder of one of the exemption certificates (few are) take the online course. Not difficult but covers a lot of topics. Take the online test and get your course completion certificate. Up to you how long you take. Note that this must be arranged through a Recognised Training Centre, not direct.

Step 2. Book your assessment via an RTC. Best use the same one. You will have a short written test with the assessor followed by a practical demonstration of your skills. The course fee on successful completion is direct to the RYA. Some schools may charge an admin fee for booking the examiner on your behalf and providing a classroom plus radio equipment.

Mrs S has now retired as an SRC assessor so if anyone wants to buy a couple of linked vhf radios, you know what to do!

finestgreen

Visit site
https://www.rya.org.uk/training/courses/marine-radio-short-range-certificate-course-srcc

Step 1. If you are not the holder of one of the exemption certificates (few are) take the online course. Not difficult but covers a lot of topics. Take the online test and get your course completion certificate. Up to you how long you take. Note that this must be arranged through a Recognised Training Centre, not direct.

Step 2. Book your assessment via an RTC. Best use the same one. You will have a short written test with the assessor followed by a practical demonstration of your skills. The course fee on successful completion is direct to the RYA. Some schools may charge an admin fee for booking the examiner on your behalf and providing a classroom plus radio equipment.

Mrs S has now retired as an SRC assessor so if anyone wants to buy a couple of linked vhf radios, you know what to do!
Sorry, I meant to do it in a classroom in one day you need to "do" some pre-work - as your link says, the nominal minimum time is 10 hours.

(Also, just a personal opinion but I think it's worth doing in the classroom instead of online)

Momac

Visit site
A friend did the classroom dsc course a few years ago while having a serious hangover and had done no preparation . It was done in a day . I think they may since have changed the course duration.
Anyhow no one failed it then and I doubt anyone fails it now.
Due to the hangover my friend is , to this day, useless with the VHF. Not so long ago she said the handheld was faulty and not receiving. I had a look and the squelch was on maximum which was where she thought it should be for maximum volume.
Doing the course is no guarantee of any knowledge gained.

lustyd

Visit site
It n must be difficult to trap the hackers? My brief look at wikileaks shows a state actor at it......gawd knows what else goes on.
Mostly inside jobs on there. Most hacking in the real world involves humans, they're usually the weak link. Passwords using boat names, pet names etc. or just go and ask them in the pub, people are very trusting if you speak to them in the right way. I'm not saying data doesn't leak the old fashioned way, but usually it's easier to just ask nicely or pretend to be a coffee machine filling guy to get in to the office with completely unprotected network ports.

capnsensible

Visit site
Mostly inside jobs on there. Most hacking in the real world involves humans, they're usually the weak link. Passwords using boat names, pet names etc. or just go and ask them in the pub, people are very trusting if you speak to them in the right way. I'm not saying data doesn't leak the old fashioned way, but usually it's easier to just ask nicely or pretend to be a coffee machine filling guy to get in to the office with completely unprotected network ports.
That's fascinating, thanks. Not something I've ever thought about too much, apart from reading stuff on wikileaks that I kinda get but don't fully understand!

capnsensible

Visit site
A friend did the classroom dsc course a few years ago while having a serious hangover and had done no preparation . It was done in a day . I think they may since have changed the course duration.
Anyhow no one failed it then and I doubt anyone fails it now.
Due to the hangover my friend is , to this day, useless with the VHF. Not so long ago she said the handheld was faulty and not receiving. I had a look and the squelch was on maximum which was where she thought it should be for maximum volume.
Doing the course is no guarantee of any knowledge gained.
It's not difficult. The objective is to brief people on the course content and carry out some practical. You would be surprised how many people get nervous using a radio set. I reckon the course helps them a bit with that.

If you want basic, try an online kitchen hygiene course.....some pro sailors need it. Then go to a restaurant and prepare to be amazed!