VHF Newbie Help - Scripts

r500sac

Visit site
I posted this earlier today but I can't find it anywhere so I'm re-posting.

I have just bought a pandora 22 and I have got to get it moved in about 2 weeks. I've got to request a bridge to be raised but i'm not 100% sure what the correct "script" is. This is my first boat from dinghies and have booked on for my VHS licence next month but unfortunately, I have got to get the boat moved before then.

If someone could let me know what I should say that would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

It's easy.

1. Check the almanac for the area - it will tell you the working channel to use, the procedure, times, etc. Let's say it's channel 11, like the QHM in Portsmouth, but it will be listed in the almanac.
2. Know how to use the radio - check volume, squelch, etc
3. Select the correct channel and low power
4. Listen for a minute or two (it is bad form to speak when someone else is having a conversation, wait your turn)
5. Press your button to talk and say:
6. "BridgeName, BridgeName, this is BoatName, BoatName, over" - good form to say your name and theirs twice on a monitored channel. Only say three times in emergency or poor conditions.
7. He'll reply "BoatName this is BridgeName, go ahead, over". He may say standby - this means he's busy and will come back to you shortly. If you don't get a reply, repeat after 2 minutes wait.
8. You'll reply "BridgeName, this is BoatName. We are currently half a mile south and request the bridge to be raised please, over"
9. They'll reply "BoatName, this is BridgeName. No probs, its open, wait on the outer pontoon, wait until 1600, etc, etc. Who knows?"
10. You'll end the call "BridgeName this is BoatName. Thanks for your help, out".

Remember to release the button when you say over, and press it before you speak. You (and they) can't speak and hear at the same time.

That's the correct form - its worth following if you can. Nothing to be afraid of. If in doubt buy the RYA book, listen to clips on youtube, phone them up first, or visit them and ask for the correct procedure.