VHF Licences Explained (for those who don't know)

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
VHF Licences Explained (for those who don\'t know)

If you have a fixed VHF radio you apply for a fixed ships licence, Cost £20, you are then issued with a call sign. A call sign is important becuase you complete details of your vessel, emergency equipment and max No of crew, which is then available to the coastguard in emergencies by checking your call sign. If you also have a transportable, for sole use on that boat or tender, then this is also covered by this licence. If your fixed radio is DSC you will also be issued with an MMSI number that has to be entered into the radio. If you want to use your transportable on other vessels you will need to purchase the transportable licence as well.

If you have Transportable handheld VHF you apply for a transportable licence and get issued a 'T' number e.g. T12345678 NO DETAILS are held of any vessel because it is transportable. Cost £15

BUT / OR

IF you have a transportable that you will use exclusively on ONE vessel, then this can be classed as fixed radio and a ships licence and a call sign issued, instead of a 'T' number.

I hope this helps as I applied for the portable licence, when I could have in fact got one issued as a ships licence with the security of knowing the lifeguard has details of my vessel. YOU CANNOT fet a refund if you get the wrong licence, but on this occassion as the instructions on the web site www.radiolicencingcentre.co.uk were not clear abou the ability to classify a transportable as fixed, together with the benefits of a call sign, I will be upgrading to a ships fixed licence, with a refund on the transportable licence.

Hope this is useful.

P.S. I have been in contact with radio licencing agency re the above, and they tell they will very shortly be targeting marinas to check for licences /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Do you need the worry and stigma of getting caught?

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

wakeup

Visit site
Useful information at last!! Now I\'m Happy 2.

Happy I am just about to do my VHF DSC course and to purchase a DSC unit.

This has been a useful piece of information and not at all silly. I thank you.

You see 'every clud does have a silver lining'.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AJW

Visit site
Re: Useful information at last!! Now I\'m Happy 2.

Thanks Gr...er Happy, that is useful info. I did actually try using the electronic form on the radiolicense agency website yesterday to apply for a new license but I got an error message continually so gave up! I'll try again today.

AJ

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: VHF Licences Explained (for those who don\'t know)

There should be no stigma associated with not paying a daft tax, or obeying a stupid rule arbitrary rule, imho. These are a total waste of cash, and only get away with cos they can enforce payment. There is no need for efficiency and laughablae that govt even use the word.

Guess how many people work for (say) Ford of Great Britain: 18,000. Guess how many employed by BP, biggest uk company and about 7% of UK stock market value: 97,000.

Now gues how many employed by Camden Council - yes just camden, teachers, social services, admin but not the bin men that been privatised: 78,000. 78,000 - going on for as as many as whole of BP, more than 4 times the whole of ford GB.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
The law ? nm

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site

DON'T jump to conclusions about people, believe it or not I now have a vast knowledge of the theoritical side, just need help with experience, apology accepted /forums/images/icons/wink.gif And I bet your instructor on the course won't know you can register a handheld as a fixed /forums/images/icons/wink.gif and get a call sign.

Happy1

N/A
Visit site

Could have been that you put a full stop in between your initials, I had 20 mins or so of that nonsense, then realised what it was, it is a crap site, but works eventually.

Alistairr

Visit site

Thanks for that information Happy 1.. I will need to start reading up on it all.
All the best with your new Glastron when you get it.

<hr width=100% size=1>CHEERS.

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
IMPORTANT

To amend any information re vessel, max No person, saftey equipment e.t.c the onus is ON YOU, you can amend details by going to the link below :-

http://www.radiolicenceforms.co.uk/ShipAmendmentNotes.asp

The amendments are put on a central computer, this information is very important as the coastguard has access to it.

PLEASE ALSO NOTE a handheld licence IS REQUIRED for an EPIRB, but if you have one of the other licences it can be disclosed on that and licenced free. IF YOU GET ONE after you have got your licence, then use the amendment form ink above.

AND

A callsign allocated to a vessel remains with that vessel for the duration of it's life, regardless of changes of ownership or even vessel name. The callsign is surrendered if the vessel ceases to be classified as a UK vessel or is distroyed. Callsigns CANNOT be transferred between vessels.

<font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

dickh

Visit site

Hmm - seems to have changed then - you never used to be able to get a callsign for a transportable VHF - certainly when I tried about 8 years ago. No problem now as I have a fixed radio with the transportable on th same licence.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Happy1

N/A
Visit site

I have books available G22 & G26 (questions and training sylabis) if you want to borrow them.

Happy1

N/A
Visit site

EXACTLY, TO ALL, THAT IS WHY I have spent all my time writing this stuff. What I have told you is 100% correct so PLEASE don't waste time questioning it, get on with it, get trained, get a licence, update your info, OR get NICKED, if you have done all that help others catch up.

Cheers,

<font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

Alistairr

Visit site

Thats very kind of you to lend me those books, But it mightbe worth my while going to my local chandlery and buying them, as i am making a flying visit to Singapore at the weekend and will have plenty of time to read.....

I plan on getting the VHF licence, and my wife and i also intend on doing a RYA powerboat level 2 course next month, so if you or anyone else can recommend any other reading material i'd be much appreciated.

<hr width=100% size=1>CHEERS.

Happy1

N/A
Visit site

PM me, I have just about the whole of the RYA bookshop material for powerboating, VHF, sea survival e,t,c, I can help you with anything you want. The RYA is moving premises at the moment, the books normally take an age to arrive so a chandlery is a better bet. If you have a problem with some PM me and I will post them to you. I am off to the carnival in Rio de Janeiro next Thursday for two weeks, so you can keep the books for a while.

Cheers,

Happy1

N/A
Visit site

I addressed it to ALL, to save others asking or doubting what is there. I do not have time to answer every question, I am very busy studying flag etiquett, and practicing my knots /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I already had a question on scuttlebutt, I had to tell the guy to get of his arse and do some research himself, then tell us all.

God I'm getting in trouble now for being Mr Helpful /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site

Now gues how many employed by Camden Council - yes just camden, teachers, social services, admin but not the bin men that been privatised: 78,000. 78,000 -<font color=blue>

Happy is the advertising agency that handles their staff recruitment advertising... NO! it isn't mine but I wish it was.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Calm down calm down

A bit full on eh?

The RA has been checking marinas for several years, so nothing new there. They climbed aboard my boat without invitation at least once and have done so to many others. Have not had a chance to check previous posts in case this was covered during the time the forums have been held on this database but there was quite an absorbing thread about the legality or otherwise of RA being given access to marinas and also climbing aboard boats.

From memory they have to be given permission to enter private property (ie private marinas) and they should not climb aboard a boat unaccompanied.

RA has certainly caused some boat brokers and dealers grief because there was a masive problem with boats with radios installed and no owners. Think there is possibly some kind of scheme to cover this now.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kingfisher

Visit site
Camden vs BP

Well, they do have to manage 198,000 inhabitants, and 25,700 business units.
A growth of 7,9% is forecast

But you're right, there are way too many school teachers.

Luckily, your governement has privatised quite a few essential public services, such as British rail. So now these organisations are models of efficiency and quality. Yes, the private sector is much better. I can see that now.

<hr width=100% size=1>Group of people on the pontoon: skipper is the one with the toolbox.
http://sirocco31.tripod.com

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
VERY, VERY IMPORTANT

As the result of a query rightly put on here I have made enquiries to establish what is what with regards to the information given to the Radiocommunications Agency (RA) and the MCA.

I was told that the informatin from the RA goes on a central computer being the International Search & Rescue Database. I contacted the MCA to ask where they entered their information. I spoke to a very nice guy called Simon James who is in charge of the MCA form CG66 for the Swansea area CG. Simon was confused by the information I had been given as he had never heard of that, he contacted the RA to clarify it. It turns out that the RA register their information on MARS - Maritime mobile Access and Retrieval System. Now this is very interesting, and will keep some of you busy if you care to look at this website :-

http://www.itu.int/cgi-bin/htsh/mars/ship_search.sh

Here you will see all the information registered by using a search facility. If for example you type in 'Titanic' you will see details of all ships called titanic, click on one of the names and you will see the kit it has, owner e.t.c e.t.c.

The MCA keep their OWN RECORDS so it is VITAL that you send in your CG66 to your local coastguard. I guess they have access to the site above but use a different system.

I hope that all of this makes sense, it has certainly got me 'grumpy' this afternoon, it is a shame you have to go through so much to find things out. I do hope that this is useful to you. Well done to the man who questioned this, i felt guilty at my reply to you so did this one last bit of research /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Cheers for now,