VHF declining performance

TonyBuckley

www.icloud.com
My VHF (DSC Standard Horizon GX1700) has had a reducing performance recently.

I have disconnected all the connections and one was very badly corroded due to a leak at the mast. Lots of white and green crud.

I have tried to clean as best as I can with a rag, but need to get some wire wool in there to clean properly.

My question is... Due to transmitting to check the radio, is it going to be buggered due to the power not getting out?

What is the best way of protecting the connections - does winch grease for example allow the signal to flow, or would it block it?

At the moment, lots of WD40 was sprayed to help loosen up the crud.

Hoping to get back to boat this week and sort.

I ask because 'perhaps' the recent storm has caused probs at the mast head although I did notice an issue before this.

What do you think?

VicS

Visit site
My VHF (DSC Standard Horizon GX1700) has had a reducing performance recently.

I have disconnected all the connections and one was very badly corroded due to a leak at the mast. Lots of white and green crud.

I have tried to clean as best as I can with a rag, but need to get some wire wool in there to clean properly.

My question is... Due to transmitting to check the radio, is it going to be buggered due to the power not getting out?

What is the best way of protecting the connections - does winch grease for example allow the signal to flow, or would it block it?

At the moment, lots of WD40 was sprayed to help loosen up the crud.

Hoping to get back to boat this week and sort.

I ask because 'perhaps' the recent storm has caused probs at the mast head although I did notice an issue before this.

What do you think?

The Contralube 770 contact lubicant that Nigel Mercier runs on I should think would be good/the best.

In my book silicone grease is good for that sort of thing because its water repellent but best not to smother the GRP with it

Last edited:

ShinyShoe

Visit site
From my limited experience failing to get the power out is more of a all or nothing kind of problem. It has a tendency to overheat things in the set which just kills it.

So get the joined sorted and sealed and give it another shot. If you are worried something up top is a problem perhaps use the DSC Test Call function - the length of transmission should be very short with that which means you are unlikely to overheat the set.

TonyBuckley

www.icloud.com
The Contralube 770 contact lubicant that Nigel Mercier runs on I should think would be good/the best.

In my book silicone grease is good for that sort of thing because its water repellent but best not to smother the GRP with it

Tried boots. They don't sell. Offered KY jelly but that's water based.

I'll have a look at the chandlers next time I'm down.

VicS

Visit site
Tried boots. They don't sell. Offered KY jelly but that's water based.

I'll have a look at the chandlers next time I'm down.

Contact lubricant , not "personal lubricant"

Seems to be available only from specialized sources. Boatlamps are listed as a stockist

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Seems to be available only from specialized sources. Boatlamps are listed as a stockist

Any good electronics stockist will keep silicone grease. It's RE90X at Maplin's (aerosol) or 87-1172 at Rapid Online. Loads on eBay too, as one might expect.

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
Silicone compression tape will keep connections dry.
Don't transmit if you suspect a break in your antenna cable. Many radios will not allow you to do this - they show 'antenna' on the display if the VSWR becomes excessive.

lw395

Visit site
Sounds likely the antenna cable has corrosion.
Replacement will be the only cure.
You must keep the braid of the coax dry, the loss goes up a lot with any oxidation.
Fitting a decent connector at the set end is a start. Most PL259's are not fit for marine use.

TonyBuckley

www.icloud.com
OP here - I am not convinced it needs new coax. It is much thicker than I have seen before and looks in good condition - my problem is one connector that has had drips collecting over a few months. Yes it has oxidised but looks like it can be cleaned. I could be wrong :). More concerned about the unit being fried. Can't find if that unit has any protection.

I will clean and see if I can get a good signal to Solent Coastguard on CH67 from Haslar. If not, then obviously something wrong.

How would one test if the VHF is working optimally? A call to Solent CG has never been a prob before but it is not that far.

lw395

Visit site
OP here - I am not convinced it needs new coax. It is much thicker than I have seen before and looks in good condition - my problem is one connector that has had drips collecting over a few months. Yes it has oxidised but looks like it can be cleaned. I could be wrong :). More concerned about the unit being fried. Can't find if that unit has any protection.

I will clean and see if I can get a good signal to Solent Coastguard on CH67 from Haslar. If not, then obviously something wrong.

How would one test if the VHF is working optimally? A call to Solent CG has never been a prob before but it is not that far.

I would look at borrowing a spare aerial and coax, then run a comparison with another boat's set.
As you say, getting Solent CG is too easy. From Haslar, with a masthead antenna, a radio check with Port Solent lock might be a start?

whipper_snapper

Visit site
The radio is extremely unlikely to have been damaged. Attempting to clean the connector is a waste of time. If you are convinced the coax is OK then cut back to clean wire and remake the connection. If you can't do this because there is not enough wire then I would certainly replace the lot, and this time make any connections below in a dry and protected place. Or better still have no connectors other than the one in the back of the radio.

ShinyShoe

Visit site
Ryde is able to receive some of the Portland signals. I guess you may as well at Haslar. Do you hear them coming through with the Maritime Safety Broadcasts straight after Solent?

If so then you should be able to place a DSC TEST call using your set to Portland's mast and it should automatically respond. I'd think if you manage that then you can be reasonably relaxed that its not completely knackered. You need to program Portland (MMSI: 002320012 ) into your DSC set first then [Call/Menu] > [DOWN ARROW] > "DSC Test" > [SELECT] > [DOWN ARROW] > "Portland CG" > [SELECT] > [YES]

TonyBuckley

www.icloud.com
Ryde is able to receive some of the Portland signals. I guess you may as well at Haslar. Do you hear them coming through with the Maritime Safety Broadcasts straight after Solent?

If so then you should be able to place a DSC TEST call using your set to Portland's mast and it should automatically respond. I'd think if you manage that then you can be reasonably relaxed that its not completely knackered. You need to program Portland (MMSI: 002320012 ) into your DSC set first then [Call/Menu] > [DOWN ARROW] > "DSC Test" > [SELECT] > [DOWN ARROW] > "Portland CG" > [SELECT] > [YES]

Went down today and cleaned everything I could - fair bit of scraping - but didn't lubricate anything (and I was joking about KY lol).

I could talk to the marina fine. I could talk to Solent CG fine.

The DSC Test call was a great idea - tbh I haven't ever used DSC and forgot about that. Got an ACK from Solent CG but nothing from Portland.

Does it require a human to press a button to get the ACK, or is it an automatic response?

I even tried a test to 'me'. That didn't respond. Perhaps my set can't do that - I seem to remember that not all sets respond to a test call.

So not perfect, but good enough for me to feel OK for a trip into the Solent this week.

I doubt even with a perfect setup, I could get Port Solent; there's a town in the way :).

Thanks to all for their advice. I think new connectors are a def (no idea how to fit) but it can wait a bit.

ShinyShoe

Visit site
I could talk to the marina fine. I could talk to Solent CG fine.
Did Solent give you description of quality e.g. "Good and Readable" or "Loud and Clear" they have specific meanings (L&C is better than G&R)

The DSC Test call was a great idea - tbh I haven't ever used DSC and forgot about that. Got an ACK from Solent CG but nothing from Portland.

Does it require a human to press a button to get the ACK, or is it an automatic response?
Fully automated. Not all sets will have test response and they can be set to require human intervention but all CG stations should do it automatically for you.

Code:
[Portland CG]-G (safety) from 235097482-G  test REQ [13-11-25 13:52:49]
235097482-G (safety) from 235097482-G  test REQ [13-11-25 13:57:45]
[Solent CG]-G (safety) from 235097482-G  test REQ [13-11-25 14:00:40]
[Solent CG]-G (safety) from 235097482-G  test REQ [13-11-25 14:04:58]
[Solent CG]-G (safety) from 235097482-G  test REQ [13-11-25 14:08:01]
[Solent CG]-G (safety) from 235097482-G  test REQ [13-11-25 14:18:30]
[Portland CG]-G (safety) from 235097482-G  test REQ [13-11-25 14:19:04]
[Solent CG]-G (safety) from 235097482-G  test REQ [13-11-25 14:20:41]
[Solent CG]-G (safety) from 235097482-G  test REQ [13-11-25 14:33:42]

This is a log of what was captured by Ship Tracking's DSC Log that I assume relates to yourself. Curiously Ship Tracking didn't pick up any Solent Response! I'm not convinced Ship Tracking's DSC Set up is optimal.

I even tried a test to 'me'. That didn't respond. Perhaps my set can't do that - I seem to remember that not all sets respond to a test call.
I'd expect it could take a test call from someone else but none can do a self test. It can't listen on CH70 while it transmits on CH70 (you'd blow it up if it could!). And once its transmitted the message is gone.

So not perfect, but good enough for me to feel OK for a trip into the Solent this week.
You can always try a DSC Test to Portland when you are out especially if you hear them transmitting a voice message. The usually transmit the Maritime Safety Announcement just after Solent.

Plevier

Visit site
@ShinyShoe

That's interesting, not seen the Ship Tracking DSC log before. Surprised how few calls are on it.

Re testing to self, my Skanti radio can do it, with options of internal path or external path (unfortunately it doesn't seem to have facility to do a test call or a position request to another station, the self test is all it can do). Also in the DSC log I note:

MCS ANNEKE,2CSG7-G (safety) from MCS ANNEKE,2CSG7-G test ACK [13-11-21 07:00:20]
MCS ANNEKE,2CSG7-G (safety) from MCS ANNEKE,2CSG7-G test ACK [13-11-21 07:00:30]
MCS ANNEKE,2CSG7-G (safety) from MCS ANNEKE,2CSG7-G test ACK [13-11-21 07:00:35]
MCS ANNEKE,2CSG7-G (safety) from MCS ANNEKE,2CSG7-G test ACK [13-11-21 07:00:41]

Isn't that a test to self? Maybe I'm misunderstanding it.