Vetus 140 Strainers. Sealing them up

Halo

Visit site
My YM30 has a vetus strainer and in the past I have sometimes struggled to seal up the strainer which needs to hold a slight vacuum.
It occurred to me that plastics such as the polycarbonate screw on lid expand a relatively large amount with temperature.
To get the lid off I put a rag onto the strainer lid and pour on very hot water, let it settle a couple of minutes and unscrew.
To put it on (after filling) I make sure there is plenty of Vaseline on the seal and sit the lid upside down on a hot wet rag for a while before screwing on. It works for me and hope it helps you

Plum

Visit site
My YM30 has a vetus strainer and in the past I have sometimes struggled to seal up the strainer which needs to hold a slight vacuum.
It occurred to me that plastics such as the polycarbonate screw on lid expand a relatively large amount with temperature.
To get the lid off I put a rag onto the strainer lid and pour on very hot water, let it settle a couple of minutes and unscrew.
To put it on (after filling) I make sure there is plenty of Vaseline on the seal and sit the lid upside down on a hot wet rag for a while before screwing on. It works for me and hope it helps you
Thank you. That is a good tip. Wish I had tried that but have now replaced with the new Vetus design with a lid that removes effortlessly. Vetus water Strainer type 470 for Ø19mm hose - 360º rotating wall bracket

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
Mine is now 20+ yrs old but i don’t have any trouble with it, being an older design, similar but not transparent. It is important that the filter is properly located into its guide channels, but otherwise only a light tightening is needed, and no grease. The only difficulty I have is when a mechanic does it, when it is invariably tightened with great force and the filter often mislocated.