Vented loops on toilet

Miker

Visit site
Discovered water on heads floor when well heeled over, should have reefed earlier. The sea cocks were shut so could have been contents of a partly flushed toilet on the floor but it got me thinking. Can I trust my crew always to shut the sea cocks after use? My toilet seat is about 8 inches clear of the water line but below when heeled. If I fit a vented loop the additional piping will have to be at least one metre in height and waste matter (S**T) will have to negotiate two right angled bends to discharge into the sea. Both sea cocks enter the boat upright beneath the level of the toilet and have a 90 degree bend to horizontal. I am wondering whether the Jabasco and manual pump will cope with the extra lengths of piping.
Has anyone such a toilet set up and does it work well?

mikesharp

Visit site
Yes, I have fitted anti-syphon devices on both pipes. No problem with the power of the jabasco pump but need to get crew to pump for even longer than they would believe to get the stuff up to the top and down again.
Interestingly I have still got a pan filling problem but put it down to a sticky (yuck) valve on the anti-syphon device and a failing flutter valve on outlet pipe.

coliholic

Visit site
Try a bit of lateral thinking

But your real problem is < Can I trust my crew always to shut the sea cocks after use?>. Well obviously you can't otherwise you wouldn't ask the question so.

Can you rig up some form of indicator liight say in the cockpit running on a low volts consumption type LED that show when the seacocks open? Wouldn't have thought it'd take too much ingenuity to fix a microswitch next to the seacock handle so that when open little red light comes on to warn you.

Or delegate "checking seacock shut" task to First Mate prior to casting off?

Miker

Visit site
How long does it take to pump?

I hadn't thought about leaky valves. Perhaps I should give the toilet a good service after 5 years.

Miker

Visit site
Re: How long does it take to pump?

Thanks for the info. A hell of a lot of pumping but an electric pump is well down my wish list! A bucket over the side might be easier.