Vendee Globe and Alex Thomson / Hugo Boss

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I can see how the chasing group inc Alex can get round the back of the big High, but what is the process for the leaders here? Head for Tristan de Cunha and hope the adverse/light winds pass over rapidly?
This is routing software for virtual regatta so don't take it as gospel:
Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 16.59.52.pngScreenshot 2020-11-24 at 16.58.38.png

The top one is Louise Burton, the lower Charlie Dalin. It's one hell of a race this!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 16.59.52.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 16.59.52.png
    682.6 KB · Views: 19

RobbieW

Visit site
This is routing software for virtual regatta so don't take it as gospel:
View attachment 103636View attachment 103638

The top one is Louise Burton, the lower Charlie Dalin. It's one hell of a race this!
Where are you finding those routings ? I've been trying to match GRIB files downloaded using XyGrib with the data presented in the virtual race without much success. I'd been trying to use the routing capability in OpenCPN to derive an outline route to use with my virtual boat, RobbieW. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the virtual race is also using virtual weather ;)

SaltyC

Visit site
All credit to Alex for his positive attitude and resilience. I will stand correction, but he had built a 200 mile(ish ) lead in 13 days, he is now 500 behind with 60 days to go, game on!! Others may still have their own problems, it is not over until the line.
I think ?? he may be slower tonight whilst laminating extra strengthening into the bow whilst cooler,
I personally wish him all the best, he deserves some luck, it appears, as previously, he has had more than his share of bad luck.

Spyro

Visit site
Where are you finding those routings ? I've been trying to match GRIB files downloaded using XyGrib with the data presented in the virtual race without much success. I'd been trying to use the routing capability in OpenCPN to derive an outline route to use with my virtual boat, RobbieW. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the virtual race is also using virtual weather ;)
The wind option on the vendee site is good. Use the tool to look ahead. Tracking map - Vendée Globe - En

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Sailing Simulator: Home

Airscrew

Visit site
Robbie, I developed similar looking tracks, and at various times/positions for each of the lead competitors. There are a handful of softwares out there. I use qtVlm on the desktopPC at home, and on an iPad on the boat. Free and accurate enough for most. Easy to download gribs, tides, waves, yacht polars, and to run multiple option routings.

I have to be honest and say that the routings I developed for Alex/Apivia from a few days back, is pretty much the track that Apivia has taken since then.
Ofcourse it is qtVlm that is smart, not me...

capnsensible

Visit site
Robbie, I developed similar looking tracks, and at various times/positions for each of the lead competitors. There are a handful of softwares out there. I use qtVlm on the desktopPC at home, and on an iPad on the boat. Free and accurate enough for most. Easy to download gribs, tides, waves, yacht polars, and to run multiple option routings.

I have to be honest and say that the routings I developed for Alex/Apivia from a few days back, is pretty much the track that Apivia has taken since then.
Ofcourse it is qtVlm that is smart, not me...
That's all very well but don't forget to keep the seaweed damp. ??

matt1

Visit site
Meanwhile, in the real world, poor AT has been badly let down by his design /build team but my goodness he is putting a brave face on it. Go Alex!

Not sure we can come to that conclusion yet, or indeed ever?

What if Alex set them an unachievable displacement target, what if they had expressed reservations over the integrity of the centre cockpit location etc etc. We don't know what parameters ATR gave the designer, or whether the builder pushed back on some of the things he was asked to do.

Notwithstanding his foil breakage in the last race, the previous HB was pretty reliable and robust. It's interesting that they were already reinforcing this boat before the race (I think he said they had to add 70kg of reinforcement?)

Also it may be relevant that in talking about the repair he has mentioned Gurit, the Designers and his own shore team but hasn't mentioned the builder, which is perhaps a bit odd.

Anyway, the tragedy is that with Linkeout and Charal out it would have left him in a very strong position to win this one. Not impossible he could still win it but the odds are against him

cherod

Visit site
i dont want to sound like some sort of carmugigan
It's extraordinary the number of abject curmudgeonly four letter words on this forum who just want to wade in and criticize with very scant data.
Maybe its the lock down, lets hope so.
dont know if it lockdown or what , but that is now 5 of the top boats either retired or suffering serious breakages ,,, even the stoutist supporters have to ask questions ,,, i hope Linkedout can still put up a fight , would be a very hollow inevitable victory for Le Cam if everyone else retires !!

NormanB

Visit site
Pushing the envelope of the sailing performance of these vessels is a trade off of cost, time, testing and a brutal exposure of the knowns, unknowns and unknown unknowns (thanks DR) and challenge to the design assumptions used by the team.

I cannot help but laugh by some of the armchair conclusions of the HB structural failure.

Completing the route is perfectly achievable using tried and tested boats but to complete and win has to mean that pushing the envelope is required and with that there is an inherent risk of failure.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Pushing the envelope of the sailing performance of these vessels is a trade off of cost, time, testing and a brutal exposure of the knowns, unknowns and unknown unknowns (thanks DR) and challenge to the design assumptions used by the team.

I cannot help but laugh by some of the armchair conclusions of the HB structural failure.

Completing the route is perfectly achievable using tried and tested boats but to complete and win has to mean that pushing the envelope is required and with that there is an inherent risk of failure.
Quite so. In racing there is always a compromise between strength and weight. These boats are really pushing the envelope, failures will happen, problems will occur. Overcoming these issues has always been part of this sort of challenge.

This was very neatly summed up today by Boris Hermann, quoting Francis Joyon "On est jamais a l'abri d'un surprise" (you are never safe from a surprise).

cherod

Visit site
dont get me wrong , i fully support them all,, just get a bit of a laugh at the computer / modelling " experts " getting it wrong nowadys ( seems like that in many things :eek: ) they all push the envelope a bit for sure but i think some of them forget to put the stamp on !!! remember the old adage,, " to win you first have to finish " .

Spyro

Visit site
i dont want to sound like some sort of carmugigan

dont know if it lockdown or what , but that is now 5 of the top boats either retired or suffering serious breakages ,,, even the stoutist supporters have to ask questions ,,, i hope Linkedout can still put up a fight , would be a very hollow inevitable victory for Le Cam if everyone else retires !!
I think it would be a wonderful victory for JLC. A bit like the tortoise and the hare.

Last edited:

flaming

Visit site
I think it would be a wonderful victory for JLC. A bit like the tortoise and the hair.
I think even if Apiva breaks down there are too many boats that will be too fast in the Southern Ocean, and too few clever routing options for him to win. I also think he's bitten off too much with his current positioning, and will be too long waiting for the wind whilst the boats to the South and West of him sail round him.