Vektron/Vectron

Ian_Rob

Visit site
I am wanting to replace the 135% Genoa on my Dufour and have various SIBS quotes. I am tempted by Vektron 073 but slightly concerned by Vektron’s handleability - an issue that was raised on this forum a couple of years ago.

In as much as it will be on a furler it won’t really be handled but it will catch the guardrails and shrouds (though this can presumably be alleviated by simply fitting sail guard wheels).

Portland Premium 7.5 (310) is the alternative option.

martinaskey

Visit site
Ian
I replaced my genoa (135%) and main last year with cross cut Vectron (36ft S&S sloop).
The sails have performed very well this year and I feel the choice was good.
The fabric is relatively stiff and slippery compared to the North laminate I had before but on the furler it is absolutely fine - while it was a bit bulky to start it now rolls and sets perfectly.
The main is slab reefing from the mast and the new sail is slightly more difficult to handle but isn't a problem - I suspect I'm noticing the difference between a new sail and a 10 year old one !!
I've just removed the sails for the winter and they where a bit of a handful but again that's partly just because they are new.
No regrets at all so far.
Martin

Concerto

Visit site
I have had my Vectron sails from Kemp for 3 years now on my Fulmar. The cloth is slightly stiffer than Dacron, but holds its shape far better. The genoa furls well and the mainsail is fully battened.

If you are buying new sails, then check how the sacrificial strip on the genoa is made. Cheaper sail makers use a 4 cloth leach and foot, which is far more expensive to have replaced as the leech and foot have to be completely remade. You should go for a 6 cloth as this only requires the sacrificial to be replaced. It works out cheaper in the long run.

Definitely choose the Vectron, you will be very pleased.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I bought a Vektron furling main from Crusader in 2016 and am still happy with it. It is quite stiff as others have said but works really well as a furling main. The lighter weight and "more slippery" feel help it furl very easily. It is a bit more difficult to handle when packing away at the end of the season but not a big deal. I imagine a Vektron genoa will perform well and furl tidily.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
My Vectran main and genoa (now renamed Vektron for copyright reasons) were purchased in March 2000. Both are cross-cut, made in 6 oz cloth. Since purchase they have sailed many thousands of miles and as far as I can see have not changed shape in the slightest. They are still relatively stiff to handle, not a problem with a furling genoa although the mainsail was always somewhat difficult with lazy jacks but is now greatly improved with a stack pack.

The only problem with them is that the cloth is are so long-lived that some restitching has been necessary several times. The UV strip was replaced entirely some years ago, batten pocket ends were done last year. The genoa stitching has now almost failed, the sail being held together by the glue. A good problem to have.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
My Vectran main and genoa (now renamed Vektron for copyright reasons) were purchased in March 2000. Both are cross-cut, made in 6 oz cloth. Since purchase they have sailed many thousands of miles and as far as I can see have not changed shape in the slightest. They are still relatively stiff to handle, not a problem with a furling genoa although the mainsail was always somewhat difficult with lazy jacks but is now greatly improved with a stack pack.

The only problem with them is that the cloth is are so long-lived that some restitching has been necessary several times. The UV strip was replaced entirely some years ago, batten pocket ends were done last year. The genoa stitching has now almost failed, the sail being held together by the glue. A good problem to have.

That's good to hear Vyv. I thought that my 3 year old main still looked very flat and showed no signs of wear. I assumed it was rose-tinted specs. and I had just "adjusted" my view of the sail.

Ian_Rob

Visit site
That’s all very reassuring. The plan is to upgrade the genoa this year and get a Vektron main next. The existing sails are the production sails that came with the boat and there has been a steady deterioration in her ability to point. Hopefully, I will see a big improvement next season.. Thanks everybody.

Last edited:

sailswim

Visit site
I've been reading a few oldish threads, as I'm about to decide between Vectron and HydraNet (both from Dimension Polyant).
There is a quite a price difference between them at the moment, for my 44 footer (about £2000 difference for the mainsail)

Do any of you previous posters in this thread have further updates on the longevity and performance of your Vectran / Vektron sails since 2019?

Concerto

Visit site
I've been reading a few oldish threads, as I'm about to decide between Vectron and HydraNet (both from Dimension Polyant).
There is a quite a price difference between them at the moment, for my 44 footer (about £2000 difference for the mainsail)

Do any of you previous posters in this thread have further updates on the longevity and performance of your Vectran / Vektron sails since 2019?
My Vectron sails are still performing well after 5000 miles. This winter they are going to a sailmaker for the first time in 8 years. The genoa needs a new sacrificial strip and the mainsail requires very little work other than to the sliders needing webbing and additional wear patches where the full length battens rub on the swept back spreaders. If you go to my about me page, there are a long list web links. Look at the YouTube videos of my Round Britain trip and you can see clips of the sails and how well they still look.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I replaced my Vectran genoa this year because it required complete restitching. Its shape was still good. If buying now I would definitely pay the extra for UV resistant thread.
I replaced with a Hydranet tri-radial with UV resistant thread.

geem

Visit site
I expect to get 40,000nm out of my Vectran main and Genoa. Compared to Dacron, they should provide double the mileage.
Doyle are now stitching all their Barbados made sails with Gore Tenara thread. This should be good for at least 15 years

sailswim

Visit site
Thanks for the advice about UV-resistant thread. Any particular reason Vyv why you are opting for Hydranet tri-radial instead of Vektron. I know from other forum posts that you were very pleased with the Vektron sails since original purchase over 20 years ago?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Thanks for the advice about UV-resistant thread. Any particular reason Vyv why you are opting for Hydranet tri-radial instead of Vektron. I know from other forum posts that you were very pleased with the Vektron sails since original purchase over 20 years ago?
It was a winter offer from Kemp just after we found that the Vectran genoa would need a complete restitch. It seemed like a good price so we went for it. No technical reason.
Then the sail sat in our cockpit for three years during lockdown. Very pleased with it now we have used it.

geem

Visit site
When I was researching sail material for our boat I looked into hydranet. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. Hydrant is very hard wearing. Sails don't fall apart but they do stretch. As they age they stretch a lot and lose sail shape. Hydrant cloth is brilliant for reinforcement in sails where chafe occurs. For us, this is on the luff. We get wear here when we have reefs in for a few days. The action of the cloth rubbing on itself.
I was adviced by a couple of sailmakers not to go for hydrant but opt for DP vectran. It should hold its sail shape longer. Only done 5000nm so far so can't report on longevity

sailswim

Visit site
My understanding is that Hydranet, whether it is the type made for crosscut sails, or the type made for radial sails, is superior in a number of ways to Vectron, but maybe not always better value, depending on the boat and the buyer. Vectron lasts very well but is a heavier, thicker cloth than Hydranet. With an in-mast furling main, one of the reasons I'm choosing Hydranet to replace the old Dacron sail is a concern that with vertical battens on the leech to give extra roach, we may run out of room or have chafe problems trying to furl it into the slot and have enough space inside the chamber for the thicker roll.

Also, I think Hydranet has greater amount of dyneema fibres compared to Vectron so theoretically should be more durable in terms of shape retention. Lastly, the UV resistance is higher.
BUT I have only spent a few weeks reading and speaking to sailmakers, I don't speak from experience, yet!

sailswim

Visit site
Vyv Cox replaced a Vectran genoa with a Hydranet tri-radial - if he comes along he he might tell us the main differences he has noticed.

Tranona

Visit site
My understanding is that Hydranet, whether it is the type made for crosscut sails, or the type made for radial sails, is superior in a number of ways to Vectron, but maybe not always better value, depending on the boat and the buyer. Vectron lasts very well but is a heavier, thicker cloth than Hydranet. With an in-mast furling main, one of the reasons I'm choosing Hydranet to replace the old Dacron sail is a concern that with vertical battens on the leech to give extra roach, we may run out of room or have chafe problems trying to furl it into the slot and have enough space inside the chamber for the thicker roll.

Also, I think Hydranet has greater amount of dyneema fibres compared to Vectron so theoretically should be more durable in terms of shape retention. Lastly, the UV resistance is higher.
BUT I have only spent a few weeks reading and speaking to sailmakers, I don't speak from experience, yet!
I went through this a couple of years ago when buying a replacement furling mainsail for my Bavaria 33. Actually none of the 3 sailmakers I got serious proposals from suggested Hydranet but a lot of discussion about battens. This may not apply to you depending on your mast section, but none recommended battens, including Elvestrom who made the original sails because of difficulties with furling in the mast section. Vectron was the choice from all 3 and Kemps made a lovely sail with a Spectra taped luff. The reservations were right about the limitations of space as the sail was so tight that I could not replace the access plates in the mast wall, although I think with time and use I could have got a tighter roll. No problems though with furling or unfurling. Can't comment on durability because I sold the boat shortly after getting the sail. In all the conversations I had in the exercise, the general view was that while the extra sail area you get with battens is nice to have, for a cruising boat the extra cost and complication is not worth it.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Vyv Cox replaced a Vectran genoa with a Hydranet tri-radial - if he comes along he he might tell us the main differences he has noticed.
The weight of the cloth is very similar to its Vectran predecessor. The weight of the sails in their bags are not a lot different. At present it is very stiff but sets well. The main difference is that it is 140% compared with the 150% of the Vectran.

Schuss39

Visit site
I had a fully batten main & 135% genoa, both in Vectran, made by Peter Sanders Sails for my Nauticat 39 back in 2010. The vectran was manufactured by Hood.

The genoa still has the original uv strip which has faded slightly and is still serviceable. Both sails still set very well. So I have no complaints about choosing the Vectran at all. Yes it was more expensive than the cheaper sail cloths available but they have lasted well. How long do you plan to keep the boat for is another consideration.

sailswim

Visit site
Cross cut Vectran seems to be popular for in-mast furling mainsails in the UK.

I had a conversation with one prominent South coast sailmaker who has a system of full length and shorter battens which sounds like a brilliant system for keeping shape and when furling should stop the sail from bunching up and creasing inside the mast, when the outhaul is slackened.

However, another sailmaker told me that he has been to many boats to disassemble this type of sail - since the battens break inside the pockets, staying inside the mast and making it very difficult to remove the sail from the mast. But I wish to emphasise not necessarily the sails produced by the first sailmaker!!

Echoing Tranona's point, while the vertical battens allow for a larger roach (and it was claimed a much improved overall shape and efficiency), for a cruising boat the extra cost and complication is not worth it for most owners.

So I think you have to do the research, talk to a few of them and then just pick a sailmaker you like, trust their judgement and experience, even if contradictions abound.