Varnish or Oil (newbie)

AlistairM

Visit site
Hi all

Although Im not new to the forums I am to the classic boat section. I have just acquired a new pride and joy which what I am told is a national 12 (clinker built and gaf rig), to restore. I will no doubt have plenty of questions, but have so far found these forums so freindly they have proved to be a lifeline of information. Anyway.

1> Do I varnish or use an oil recipe (boiled linsead????).

2> Back to wood or just remove the previus layer

3> There apears to be a metal strip running along the bottom (underneath) either side of the centre board, which will need replacing. Any ideas as to what metal this might be, and what it is secured with (looks like tiny pins as far as I can see)

Thats it for now, I will try and post some pics when I get a chance.

Thanks

Peterduck

Visit site
Firstly, welcome to the Classic Boat forum, and congratulations on your acquisition of the National 12. Whether to use varnish or oil is a matter of taste. Do you like a high gloss or a matte finish? How far back to take the previous finish [is this varnish?] depends upon how badly it is weathered and what you intend to replace it with. If you are going to replace varnish with more varnish, and the existing coating is sound, you only need to take the gloss off it to give the new coating a grip. Mosy questions asked in this forum have answers which begin with "It all depends . . ." The metal strip may be brass, aluminium or galvanised iron. What does it look like? Will a magnet stick to it? Give it a gentle rub with some fine wet-and-dry abrasive paper and see what colour it is.
Peter.