Vanuatu appeal - progress report.

AndrewB

Visit site
Two months ago I posted about an appeal being launched by Bundaberg Yacht Club (Queensland) which was asking for funds from the boating community worldwide to rebuild a school on Vanuatu in the wake of cyclone Pam which devastated the islands. They have just made the following progress report:

Our project to help Vanuatu is full steam ahead.

On Thursday John, Fred and myself traveled to Brisbane to load the container. There are 13 tonnes loaded into a 20 feet container - a big job and a tight squeeze. It is done and Swire Shipping will depart Brisbane on 22nd June with our container on board. On arrival in Port Vila, Fr8 Logistics who own the container and who have lent it to us for the duration will transport the container to the school site where we plan to build in the village of Mele Maat. We have received incredible support from everyone including discounted timber & supplies, free use of the container, 50% off shipping costs, free use of the transport depot in Brisbane (Bundy Bullet) and free hire of the forklift at the depot. These savings have amounted to thousands of dollars. Then at the other end, we will hopefully receive exemption from importing and other associated charges - thanks to Fr8 Logistics and the Mele Maat Chieftains. We have received some fantastic donations from the CLAG ladies of Burnett Heads, the Burnett Heads School, The Over 50's Club, and the Bargara Bridge Club as well as many other donations from local Burnett Heads residents and businesses including the Bundaberg Port Marina. We have been overwhelmed with their generosity. And of course the financial donations received from you, our well wishing supporters and benefactors has been outstanding. The appeal now stands at $25,500. The villagers are awaiting our arrival and are so looking forward to the building of the new school. They tell me no-one has ever done anything like this before for them.

Details of the construction are as follows: We will build a timber 14metre by 8 metre building with a verandah and zinc roofing. It will be elevated off the ground. We will also install 2 toilets and a water tank. And let's keep our fingers crossed that it will withstand future cyclones, and I am sure it will with John the Builder on the job. The plan is to give the village and school ongoing support as time goes on.

A contingency from Bundaberg will travel to Port Vila on 10th July to supervise and start the construction. So far John, Fred, Lesley, Sebastian (a Dutch yachtie from Mooloolaba) are going. We are hoping a few more of you will join us particularly if you are looking for adventure, hardwork and a positive rewarding expeerience. Of course you will have to meet your own costs but hopefully we can find some accommodation that we can share and enjoy a few wines after work. So please consider if you would like to join us, you would be most welcome. The job should take 2 weeks. We will also employ 5 local builders and several labourers on the job.

Thank you once again for all your support. I will keep you updated as progress continues. Best wishes Lesley, John, Fred and the Bundaberg Cruising Yacht Club executive & members.

P.S. If you have not yet supported us to help Vanuatu. It is never too late. If you have supported us "Thank you".

For further information, see their web page: http://www.bcyc.net.au/

Last edited: