Using USB Broadband Dongle abroad - don't!

seanfoster

Visit site
Using USB Broadband Dongle abroad - don\'t!

I thought I would post a word of warning using a USB Broadband dongle abroad, I heard this on Jeremy Vine's Show on Radio 2 (Friday) Martin Lewis Moneysaving expert bloke was talking about saving money when you go abroad.

He quoted a story of someone recently logging on to the BBC Iplayer whilst abroad (and using their dongle) to watch an episode of 'The Apprentice'.
When they got home they had a nice bill for £46,000!
(No that is not a typo) So be warned!

fireball

Visit site
Re: Using USB Broadband Dongle abroad - don\'t!

well Duh ..... don't ppl think about the roaming charges??!! They don't deserve to have enough money to get back from abroad!!

cnh

Visit site

One of the nice things about harbours in Poland and the Baltic States is that you get wifi for free - or as part of the harbour charges, if you like (and they aren't excessive). You don't even need a password!

flyingscampi

Visit site

I think that was last year. She was a solicitor who hadn't read her terms and conditions properly /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mikefleetwood

Visit site

I thought there was a bar on iPlayer to stop it working outside UK - something to do with licence conditions?

MarkJohnson12345

www.markjohnsonafloat.org.uk

Me too.

There was a problem a while back when the Orange ISP was not recognised at being UK, and thus the Iplayer would not work.

But that was nearly a year ago, Orange has been sorted, but not sure what happens abroad.

Refueler

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
One of the nice things about harbours in Poland and the Baltic States is that you get wifi for free - or as part of the harbour charges, if you like (and they aren't excessive). You don't even need a password!

[/ QUOTE ]

Fish Processing Plants etc. !! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

st599

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
I thought there was a bar on iPlayer to stop it working outside UK - something to do with licence conditions?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can of course spoof your IP address to look like a UK one.

Richard10002

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can of course spoof your IP address to look like a UK one.

[/ QUOTE ]

How?

Genuine question - I'd like to do it.

Richard

DownWest

Visit site

Now that is interesting! I would like to know too.
In times past, when BBC were asked about other countries charging for use of their programs on the World service, they said " We transmit for free, what happens with the use in the countries mentioned ( India?) is up to them.
I can't realy see why iplayer is not available on sat. It's not as if they could charge extra, or is it too difficult to set up?
A

jenku

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
There is a way of getting iplayer, 4OD etc from overseas and that is to VPN into the UK.

There are 2 providers I know of:
www.vpnuk.net
www.vpngates.com

Neither are free unfortunately.... but pretty easy to setup and use.

No connection with either company etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]

Now if you are going to pay for VPN anyway it would seem easier to do it OUT of IPRED-countries to get your episodes...otherwise you'd pay twice won't you? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DownWest

Visit site

Thanks for that, just wonder how much I need iplayer to use them. More I think, that the less there is on the box worth watching. Max of 3 or 4 progs a week + old films. Better off in the boatshop......
A

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com

[ QUOTE ]
Now that is interesting! I would like to know too.
In times past, when BBC were asked about other countries charging for use of their programs on the World service, they said " We transmit for free, what happens with the use in the countries mentioned ( India?) is up to them.
I can't realy see why iplayer is not available on sat. It's not as if they could charge extra, or is it too difficult to set up?
A

[/ QUOTE ]
The restrictions on iPlayer abroad are often down to rights issues: the BBC may not have overseas broadcast rights. That's particularly likely to be th ecase for stuff made by independents, but happens in house as well. As we speak I am involved making a new series for BBC1: it's a co-production and the funding organisation gets all the overseas broadcast rights as part of the deal.

pshipley

www.mirica.co.uk

[ QUOTE ]

Now if you are going to pay for VPN anyway it would seem easier to do it OUT of IPRED-countries to get your episodes...otherwise you'd pay twice won't you? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I understand why you would need to pay twice?

wotayottie

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing this week in the UK - Oban marina. Very helpful staff too.