Using portable generators

pheran

Visit site
Is it safe just to plug my portable generator into the boats shore-power socket for leckie on-board? My particular concern is what happens about the earth. My previous gennie, a Kawasaki, in addition to the three-pin socket outlets, had an earth terminal which, altho' the instruction book didn't mention it, I assumed was intended to be connected to spike pushed into the ground. Any views?

Shannoner

Visit site
The only electrical items I use on board are LCD Tv, Dvd player and a table lamp. These appliances I believe are double insulated and would not require an earth for safety, although if there are any electricians around I stand to be corrected. I use the gas cooker to boil the kettle. So if you are are probably OK if doing the same. No doubt someone with superior electrical knowledge will come along and clarify it for us.

Nickcf

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is it safe just to plug my portable generator into the boats shore-power socket for leckie on-board? My particular concern is what happens about the earth. My previous gennie, a Kawasaki, in addition to the three-pin socket outlets, had an earth terminal which, altho' the instruction book didn't mention it, I assumed was intended to be connected to spike pushed into the ground. Any views?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most important thing is to ensure there is a good quality RCCB (residual current circuit breaker) on the output from the genny. A 30mA one should be used for max safety. I would never use a portable generator or shore power without an RCCB in circuit. An earth conductor is theoretically unnecessary with an RCCB but the regs still require one

Nothing wrong with connecting the earth point of the genny to the earth point on the boat as well if you connect the genny to the fixed wiring in the boat. Also an earth spike next to the genny connected to the genny earth is sensible (although not very effective in reality!)