Use UK handheld DSC in Greece?

Rappey

Visit site
If I recall correctly the ofcom license only covers use in the uk so similar may apply to all radio equipment ?

Amulet

www.flickr.com
If I recall correctly the ofcom license only covers use in the uk so similar may apply to all radio equipment ?
No, there's no issue apart from the fact that it's DSC and not on its normal vessel. I'm pretty certain of that. The Ofcom documents are pretty waffely on this.

Bilgediver

Visit site
If I buy a handheld DSC Radio in the UK is it OK to use it on charter in Greece?

Using the radio for general use ignoring the DSC red button is likely to be no problem however when thee radios first became available they were not issued with an international MMSI number so using the red button in foreign waters might not work . However a fellow member of my club purchased a DSC radio a year or so ago and asked me to show how it worked. I was surprised as it seemed to have a conventional UK MMSI number. This had not been a special request on her part. She had entered the nine digit number issued by Ofcom. The number should be nine digits . UK registered vessels start with the digits 232, 233, 234 or 235 (as in 232123456)
Check this list on the link below and if your MMSI number comes up then you might get rescued no matter where you are though possibly a delay while the U K MMSI number is reconciled with being on a Greek vessel. Just make sure Granny or whoever else you have nominated as an emergency contact person knows you are in Greece to avoid further delays.

Ship Station List

Last edited: