USA visa for crews

ELLIS100

Visit site
I have been looking at getting a berth on a boat coming back from mainland USA to UK as unpaid delivery crew.

Does anyone know if I can use the visa waiver program or do I need to get the visa normally for airline/ships crews?

According to the website for the London Embassy I would be fine if I had a return ticket but I really don't want to get on the wrong side of homeland security by only using it one way, as I will be working and transiting through the USA quite a lot in the coming year, after my trip.

I could at a push say it was a holiday as I will be paying the skipper for daily expenses if that would help.

Anyone had this problem and know a solution?

Last edited:

PlanB

Visit site
The following comes from the US Embassy website in Holland, and seems to suggest you may need a visa if you don't have a return ticket. A quick trawl of Google suggests the same thing.
"If you hold a visa of any classification, including a B-1/B-2 visa, you are not required to hold a return ticket; you may enter the United States on a one way ticket. All travelers should carry with them for presentation to U.S. officials, if required, evidence of funds sufficient for their visit and, with the exception of H and L visa holders, evidence that they have a residence abroad to which they intend to return at the end of their stay."

RAI

Visit site
What nationality are you? If a UK citizen with right of return, no visa to re-enter the UK.

If you go over to the USA on the visa waiver, you have to pass through an international airport (or passenger terminal) but you need a return ticket as a condition of the waiver scheme.

On leaving by yacht, formally, post the green stub back to US immigration, but I have often flown back without having the stub taken from me by airline personnel and not had problems re-entering later.

If you want to work in the USA later, then I think you need a visa for that anyway, so why not go through the nausea of getting it. For example, if you leave on the yacht without one and the weather drives you back into a US harbour. Then you will need a visa.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
I have been looking at getting a berth on a boat coming back from mainland USA to UK as unpaid delivery crew.
Does anyone know if I can use the visa waiver program or do I need to get the visa normally for airline/ships crews?
According to the website for the London Embassy I would be fine if I had a return ticket but I really don't want to get on the wrong side of homeland security by only using it one way, as I will be working and transiting through the USA quite a lot in the coming year, after my trip.
I could at a push say it was a holiday as I will be paying the skipper for daily expenses if that would help.

My recommendation would be to get a normal visa. I had problems arriving in St Johns, USVI, after relying on the Visa Waiver Program, having pre-registered on the ESTA web site, which I found when I got there was only valid when arriving on an official carrier and not for a private yacht.

I do understand that you will be arriving on an official carrier but it could be you will have problems without a return ticket - the bureaucracy is formidible and you will have an easier ride with a visa. It should be enough to explain you have a berth on a yacht out and if you can get a "To Whom It May Concern" type statement from your skipper, citing ship's name, country of registration and intended departure date, your path could be smoother.

Sorry, but I had such difficult experiences last December, both getting into US territory at the USVI and out again in San Juan, Puerto Rico, that I would always get a visa before travelling to any part of the US.

Evadne

Visit site
People from my work (National Oceanography Centre) often have to travel to join ships and we were recently posted the following information. I've shortened it a bit, but it's still quite long:

Nonimmigrant Visas
The following provides visa information for travelers to the United States. Persons planning to travel to the U.S. for a different purpose such as students, temporary workers, crewmen, journalists, etc., must apply for a different visa in the appropriate category.
Who needs a visa? - Anyone who is not eligible to enter the United States visa free under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), or is not exempt from the visa requirement, or whose registration has been denied under ESTA.
The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) - Many travelers seeking to enter the U.S. for business or tourism (B-1/B-2 visa) for less than 90 days will be eligible to travel to the United States visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.
Applying for the visa - With limited exceptions, nonimmigrant visa applicants aged 14 to 79 are required to schedule an appointment for an interview with a U.S. consular officer. The US Embassy does not accept walk-in applications. Applicants under the age of 14 or those aged 80 or over may be eligible to apply for a visa through the Embassy approved courier service.

Before beginning any application process, you are required to determine which type of visa is appropriate for travel. Please click on the relevant link below for further information.
Visa Category Description
A-1/A-2 Visa Diplomats & Foreign Government Officials

A-3 Visa Domestic Employee of a A-1/A-2 Visa holder

B-1 Visa Business visitors, Domestic Employees, Academics, Researchers and Students

B-2 Visa Holiday, tourism, medical treatment

C-1 Visa Transiting the United States

C-1/D Visa Crewmembers working on air or sea carriers

E-1/E-2 Visa Treaty Trader/Investor

E-3 Visa Australian professional speciality

F-1/M-1 Visa Students: academic & vocational

G-1/G-4 Visa Employees of an International Organization

G-5 Visa Domestic Employee of a G-1/G-4 visa

H Visa Employment based visas including the H-3 trainee visa

L Visa Intra-company transferees

I Visa Journalists & Members of the Media

J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor, Academics, Au-pairs, Interns

NATO Visa Foreign Military Personnel stationed in the U.S.

O or P Visa Persons with extraordinary ability in Sciences, Arts, Education, Business or Athletics

All visitors to the United States, except for Canadian and Mexican passport holders, require either a travel authorization or a visa to enter the country.

C1/D Visas: Crew Visas
The "C1 / D" Crew member Visa is a non-immigrant visa for persons for individuals traveling to America desiring to enter the United States as a passenger to join a vessel or aircraft. The C-1D visa is a non-immigrant visa class specifically for the use of ship or airline crews who are non US passport holders or permanent residents and allows them entry to and exit from the United States.
Individual C-1/D visas are issued to crew members of international vessels/airlines and to aliens required for the normal operation and service of a vessel. In the case of the later, in determining who qualifies for the C-1/D visa, the US Customs Border Patrol/US Embassy take into consideration the individual's responsibilities and activities on the ship For example, a beautician or a lifeguard employed on board a luxury liner, an electrician employed on board a cable ship, or a chemist employed on board a whaling boat is classifiable as a crewman.
Dry Dock - Crewmen who are to service a vessel in dry dock require the appropriate work (H-2) visas unless the work is being done under warranty in which case, they qualify for the B-1 visa.
Holiday - If you wish to remain in the United States for a holiday after your period of employment, you will be required to apply for admission as a visitor on a B-2 visa. However, if you enter the U.S. aboard a cruise liner which participates in the Visa Waiver Program you may be eligible to enter visa free. NOTE – Commercial vessel will not normally be a party to the Visa Waiver Scheme and the requirement would be for an individual to depart the USA on a C1D visa and return back into the USA on the Visa Waiver Scheme
Crew members may include:
• Pilots;
• Captains;
• Stewards;
• Technicians;
• Musicians and on-board entertainers;
• Chefs and cooks;
• Seamen;
• Flight attendants;
• Scientists;
• Electricians;
• Waiters;
• Lifeguards;
• or employees on board a ship whose services are required for normal operation in traveling to the United States as passengers to join a vessel or aircraft.

Applying for a C-1/D Visa
HOW TO QUALIFY FOR A "C1 / D" VISA
Applicants for Crew member / Transit visas must show that they qualify under provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The presumption in the US law is that every visa applicant is an intending immigrant. Therefore, applicants for Crew member / Transit visas must overcome this presumption by demonstration that:
• The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for crew-related business or transit;
• They plan to remain for a specific period;
• They have a residence outside of the U.S. as well as other binding obligations which will insure their return abroad at the conclusion of their trip.
All C-1/D visa applicants are required to:
 Complete the visa application form DS-156.
 Pay a visa application fee;
 Present a passport or other travel document valid for at least six months beyond the holder's period of stay in the United States with at least one blank page - the six-month requirement does not apply to United Kingdom passports. If the passport is damaged, the US Embassy recommends that you obtain a new passport before applying for the visa to avoid any delay in the processing of your application;
 Furnish a letter from the employer on letter headed stationary confirming the applicants employment with the company and period that he or she will be in the United States; and
 Provide one photograph which meets State Department regulations.

Note: Crewmembers who wish to apply for a B-1/B-2 visa at the same time as the C-1/D need only complete one set of visa application forms and pay one MRV fee.

Additional processing requirements and information for the following:
 Applicants who have a criminal conviction, have a medical ineligibility, have been denied entry into or deported from the United States
 Males aged 16 to 45
 Nationals of China, Northern Cyprus, Russia, Somalia & Vietnam
 Nationals of Cuba, Iran, Syria & Sudan
 Temporary residents of the United Kingdom

Issuance fees
Nationals of certain countries are required to pay an issuance fee in order for an approved visa to be issued. No fee is charged for the issuance of a C-1/D visa to a British citizen passport holder.

How do I apply for the visa?
Applicants aged 14 to 79 are required to appear in person before a U.S. consular officer. See "Applying for a Visa" at top right-hand side of this page for further information.

Reminder: The US Embassy always recommends that individuals apply for visas well in advance of their proposed date of travel. No assurances regarding the issuance of visas can be given in advance. Therefore, final travel plans or the purchase of non refundable ticket should not be made until a visa has been issued and you are in receipt of the passport.

Tourist Visa - B2
The B2 Tourist Visa is a paper visa that allows travelers to visit the United States for tourism and personal reasons for up to 6 months.
If you hold a passport from a country that is part of the Visa Waiver Program, you should apply online for an ESTA if you wish to visit the United States for less than 3 months. If you wish to visit for more than 3 months, or if your ESTA is refused, you must apply for a B2 visa.
B1/B2 CAN ONLY BE APPLIED FOR VIA AN EMBASSY OUTSIDE OF THE USA – YOU CAN NOT CHANGE THE CURRENT C1D VISA FOR A B1/B2 OR VICA VERSA B1 / B2 VISAS TO A C1/D
All above information is readily available via the two links below:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/cdapply.html

http://www.visabureau.com/america/c-1d-crewmember-visa.aspx

You should only need a tourist Visa, unless you are being paid.

Last edited:

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
OK not a problem to arrive in the US on a commercial carrier with the visa waiver program. Immigration like a return ticket and proof of accomodation but you do not HAVE to have either.

I have had crew fly in on a one way ticket on the visa waiver program but I supplied a letter saying that they were joining a private sailing vessel and would be leaving on it which smoothed matters out.

What you CAN NOT do is arrive in the US on a private sailboat without a visa, even if you have just left the US on that boat. At best you will be refused entry and allowed to leave on the sailboat within 24 hours BUT it is usually detention in a cell and a flight out to your home country or port of origin next day at your expense. I believe the skipper may be responsible for the cost but am not sure. The one case I was involved in was a delivery and the charter company paid.

Jamesuk

Visit site

BOTTOM LINE: DO IT THE RIGHT WAY!! B1/ B2 - Visa. Nothing else!!

Get a B1/B2 Visa - you will need to have a covering letter from the vessel that you are joining both at the Visa office in London and on arrival to the USA. The best option is to fly to Eygpt to get it done "walk in" quick (3-5 hours), otherwise it is a few months to get one in London ! Absolutely ridiculous!

The target is to obtain a TEN year B1/B2 visa. I only got a 1 year visa from London - the Chumps! I fly to Greece this Summer so probably will try and get one there.

Last edited:

PeterGibbs

Visit site

The USA visa waiver system is only avilable at recognised USA ports and airports. In paractical terms your carrier will get nervous about taking you to the USA if you do not have an onward ticket booking to show: the immigration officer in the USA might also take the same view. It is after all up to the officer you encounter on arrival...

But there is another practical consideration that almost compels you to get a visa, namely, that even if you got entry to the USA and tripped off to the boat and boarded, the skipper could be less than happy at carrying a non-visa'd crew member. Even if you sweet talked your way past that one, should the boat make a further call in the USA after setting sail, for whatever reason, you will be considered by homeland security to have left the jurisdiction and effectively trying to land again with no visa and no right to a waiver!

Ouch!

Boring, but get a visa.

PWG

johnabbott893

www.theabbotts.eu
Get a B1/B2 Visa - you will need to have a covering letter from the vessel that you are joining both at the Visa office in London and on arrival to the USA. The best option is to fly to Eygpt to get it done "walk in" quick (3-5 hours), otherwise it is a few months to get one in London ! Absolutely ridiculous!

The target is to obtain a TEN year B1/B2 visa. I only got a 1 year visa from London - the Chumps! I fly to Greece this Summer so probably will try and get one in there.

I got one in London a couple of months ago. It took 3 days and the delay was because I couldn't make the appointment any quicker.

Jamesuk

Visit site
I got one in London a couple of months ago. It took 3 days and the delay was because I couldn't make the appointment any quicker.

ooooo, Just had a peak - they have changed from the horrid DS-156 application process to a DS-160 online form - how many years did you get ??

Jamesuk

Visit site
Do you still have to provide a credit card to get the process going?

Not sure have to ask johnabbott893 as before it was about £120 swipped before you were told when the interview was. Of Course i had the superyacht pay for mine so no bother.

johnabbott893

www.theabbotts.eu
Not sure have to ask johnabbott893 as before it was about £120 swipped before you were told when the interview was. Of Course i had the superyacht pay for mine so no bother.

Ten year B1/B2 and I had to pay for the interview by credit card before I could get an appointment. Also, there are some hidden charges like the phone call on premium rates to get the appointment.

Jamesuk

Visit site
Ten year B1/B2 and I had to pay for the interview by credit card before I could get an appointment. Also, there are some hidden charges like the phone call on premium rates to get the appointment.

Must mention the travel costs of going to London aswell - Day off work too. The whole exercise costs at least £300 depending on where your coming from in the UK and what job you have.

For me it actually "paid" me to go :)

PilotWolf

Visit site

Don't forget the £15 (ish) to have your passport and new visa couriered back to you. Think mine ended up costing about £180 including travel and took about 10 days from the inital call to having it delivered back home.

W.

VO5

Visit site
OK, all of this is fine. Obtain a B1/B2 if you are joining a vessel in the USA.

Which Visa applies if you are intending to sail to the USA ? Same one ?