usa epirb

asterie

Visit site
I am thinking of buying an epirb while I am in the USA next month. does anyone know of any problems using u.s. epirbs in europe. ie approvals from radio authority, registering,etc.etc.

npf1

Visit site
you will need to send it back to the maker or one of their service agents to have it reprogrammed with a UK hex ID. I did this with an ACR unit - they kindly changed the codes for free.

Gin

Visit site
Do NOT buy McMurdo, they refuse to reprogramme their equipment and you will not be able to register it here in the UK.

Go for ACR who will do it for free( check though, this info is correct as at August last year)

charles_reed

Visit site
My first 406b EPIRB was registered in the US, no problem and the head of the UK registration dept suggested I just left it that way.

Battery just died it after 9 years so I've now got a UK-registered one. It's proved very little more expensive to buy new than put a new battery in the old one.

macd

Visit site
Bought an ACR in the States a while ago, registered it with the US authority. Notice came back accepting registration but advising it would be preferable -- certainly not essential -- to be registered locally. They seemed to anticipate a slower response, presumably because US would have to notify relevant rescue area (although I'm guessing here). If you get around a lot, I'd have thought that's often going to be the case wherever it's registered, anyway.
ACR in UK wanted £70 or thereabouts to re-register. So far I haven't bothered.

animal

Visit site
Re: Red Ensigh Flagged

Hello, I'm about to take my yacht masters in Australia but I was told by one of my friends that club sail courses weren't RYA certified, having spoken to them they have told me that my course allows me to work with any Red Ebsigh Flagged boat. Because the correspondence is in Australia the responses I get to questions are always a day old and I found this out today and I fly to Australia tomorrow!

What boats can I work on with a Red Ensigh Flag and will I be able to get work on a boat in Antibes?