Upgrading sheet winches: use of an adaptor plate?

NealB

Visit site
About 4 years ago, I bought a pair of Lewmar 43 self-tailers, to replace the smaller Barient winches fitted by Westerly.

At long last, I'm actually getting round to making the swap.

The existing winches have six, nicely spaced mounting bolts: the Lewmars will need five, not so evenly spaced.

So I could, of course, fill most of the existing holes, and drill new, or .........

I could make up a stainless adaptor plate that bolts through the existing holes, and then mount the Lewmars into five tapped holes in the adaptor plate.

I'd appreciate any informed opinions/ piss-taking, please, from the wide range of engineering knowledge amongst forumites.

DownWest

Visit site
You would probably need something like 4mm plate and use countersunk bolts both ways. Otherwise, fine. Can't see 4mm changing a lead much, if the height of the winch is the same.

Countersunk holes would be easier than tapping ss

Last edited:

NealB

Visit site
You would probably need something like 4mm plate and use countersunk bolts both ways. Otherwise, fine. Can't see 4mm changing a lead much, if the height of the winch is the same.

Sorry, but just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you .............

Are you visualising that the bolts that go through the base of the winch will also go right through the adaptor plate and through the grp of the cockpit coaming?

DownWest

Visit site
Sorry, but just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you .............

Are you visualising that the bolts that go through the base of the winch will also go right through the adaptor plate and through the grp of the cockpit coaming?
Nope, one set of bolts holding the plate to the GRP, countersunk to make the top flush, then another set facing up, to hold the winch base also countersunk against the grp. This was to avoid filling and redrilling the grp, which would be far easier..

penfold

Visit site
Drill new holes and fill, as you're going up a size I'd make up a backing plate to spread the load. A lot easier than drilling 11 holes in a chunk of stainless steel plate(TBH these days for something like that which needs precision I'd draw it and send it to one of the CNC cutting places as they can do it faster and better than I can).

Most winch bases have countersunk holes in; will there be clearance from the rotating components to fit the ends of the screws, nuts and washers? Even if there is clearance bridging a countersink with a washer or tightening a nut into it is too bodgy for my taste.

NealB

Visit site
Drill new holes and fill, as you're going up a size I'd make up a backing plate to spread the load. A lot easier than drilling 11 holes in a chunk of stainless steel plate(TBH these days for something like that which needs precision I'd draw it and send it to one of the CNC cutting places as they can do it faster and better than I can).

Most winch bases have countersunk holes in; will there be clearance from the rotating components to fit the ends of the screws, nuts and washers? Even if there is clearance bridging a countersink with a washer or tightening a nut into it is too bodgy for my taste.
Thanks, penfold.

I've got a friendly stainless steel handyman who's offered to do the necessary handiwork.

It was the factory counter-sunk holes in the winch bases that was confusing me.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I changed the winches on my Vancouver 34 and simply epoxy filled the holes then drilled the new holes spaced as far away from the original filled holes as possible. Never caused a problem and was simpler and aesthetically better than introducing a spacer or plate.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Nope, one set of bolts holding the plate to the GRP, countersunk to make the top flush, then another set facing up, to hold the winch base also countersunk against the grp. This was to avoid filling and redrilling the grp, which would be far easier..

Mine winches were bolted down to the adaptor plate into tapped holes in the adaptor plate after bolting down to the mast base or the deck.

Unless you use nuts on the winch to hole the winch down bolts under the adapitor plat to bolt the winch down may not be possible

Rappey

Visit site
If bolting down direct to the boat was good enough for the old winch then why not drill 5 new holes for your replacement winches ? Saves messing around with extra plates and fittings. I changed to larger self tailing and it took no time at all to remove the old, redrill and bolt down. Hex bolt heads fit nicely in the countersunk holes and easily clear the gears :whistle:.
Would like to motorise mine, that will be much harder.

bluerm166

Visit site
I used old marine grade ali plate 9.5 mm (which I had from old rudder stock and is easily worked) to overcome differing holes and to bring old and new winches into a better take-off position and further back clear of the sprayhood which both nhibited access and had windows at risk from raised levers.

doug748

Visit site
About 4 years ago, I bought a pair of Lewmar 43 self-tailers, to replace the smaller Barient winches fitted by Westerly.

At long last, I'm actually getting round to making the swap.

The existing winches have six, nicely spaced mounting bolts: the Lewmars will need five, not so evenly spaced.

So I could, of course, fill most of the existing holes, and drill new, or .........

I could make up a stainless adaptor plate that bolts through the existing holes, and then mount the Lewmars into five tapped holes in the adaptor plate.

I'd appreciate any informed opinions/ piss-taking, please, from the wide range of engineering knowledge amongst forumites.

I made transfer plates when I fitted new main winches. Made them from 6mm alloy wheel spacers something like this:

2 x 5mm Hubcentric Alloy wheel spacers Fits BMW X6 E71 F16 M 74.1 5x120 | eBay

There are loads available, so you have to juggle your requirements, I found the perfect diameter and manged to fit in the new holes no problem. Here is a snap of the new winch in situ:

1696422245448.jpeg

Of course when I had done it I looked at the perfectly good alloy plates and thought - I wish they were stainless. So I got the local stainless people to laser cut copies. £110 which I thought was pretty good.

The plates are bolted down with countersunk set screws securing the winch, err I think. I must still have the original plates around somewhere so I can photograph them if you like.

NealB

Visit site
Fill the holes with epoxy, drill new holes, fit backing plates under the deck, simples !

The old, and new, winches will, presumably, be subject to the same forces.

There's no backing plates for the old winches, and there's no signs of crazing on, or underneath, the coamings,, so why would the new wiches need them? Or is it just prudence doing her thing?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The old, and new, winches will, presumably, be subject to the same forces.

There's no backing plates for the old winches, and there's no signs of crazing on, or underneath, the coamings,, so why would the new wiches need them? Or is it just prudence doing her thing?
As Penfold says in post #18