Upgrade Bow Thruster - pitfalls?

vas

Visit site
Out of curiosity is it possible to fit a hydraulic thruster on a Princess ? I have used one on a sailing vessel but admittedly a tad longer.
wont be an easy task...
need PTO pump on an engine, pipework (wont be fun routing that to the bow!) and the motor.
The amazing thing is that the hydraulic motor will be tiny compared to the electric ones!

benjenbav

Visit site
Technically feasible I guess, might make sense if the boat already had a suitable hydraulic system installed, but not in this case.
Left-field thought: would current b/t be powerful enough if you added a stern thruster?

Thinking that your challenges are:

1 housing a new bigger b/t motor

2 cabling to same.

Whereas a stern thruster should be a lot easier to mount plus short cable runs that don’t need to be threaded through existing landscape (except for one new set of controls).

And price-wise you’re basically buying one new unit either way.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Left-field thought: would current b/t be powerful enough if you added a stern thruster?

2 cabling to same.

Whereas a stern thruster should be a lot easier to mount plus short cable runs that don’t need to be threaded through existing landscape (except for one new set of controls).

Stern thruster isn't going to help with the bow blowing off.

Reactions: vas

ashtead

Visit site
Yes I had always thought hydraulic thrusters were for 20m plus boats to give required continuous oomph because of the draw but just wondered if leaving aside cost thinking had changed .

vas

Visit site
Stern thruster isn't going to help with the bow blowing off.
and actually will make things worse, as the stern will be moving and the bow will have much worse job to follow up.
unless of course you use the stern to blow the stern and follow the bow which isn't going to be much of a help tbh 😁

benjenbav

Visit site
and actually will make things worse, as the stern will be moving and the bow will have much worse job to follow up.
unless of course you use the stern to blow the stern and follow the bow which isn't going to be much of a help tbh 😁
Normal bjb suggestion, then: next-door to completely useless. 😁

PaulRainbow

Visit site
It’s a three blade single prop, only 4HP / 3kW so probably at best it’s barely adequate, and hampered by long cables too.
Just double checked what we have, it's a SE130 (6.5kw / 8.7hp) 12V SE130/250T Sleipner SE 130 KG Thruster

For all intensive purposes, with regard to bow thrusters, we have the same boat. Most of the time the thruster works really well, but i have had a couple of occasions where the cross wind has been strong enough to overpower the thruster. Based on my experience i'd say your existing thruster is very under powered. The SE100 is the biggest you can fit in the 185mm tunnel, but it's almost as powerful as the SE130. I'd bite the bullet and change to the SE100, as well as fitting batteries at the bow as already discussed.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site

2 cabling to same.

If I had the budget I’d do the stern as well, plus the proportional controllers. But that’s too much to swallow even for me.