Updated interiors

martin

Visit site
Hi my name is martin and my boat has a tacky interior...there I have said it. First step to recovery.

The problem is the wood veneer. Its bur walnut. The problem is not so much that bur walnut is bad. I quite like it on car dashboards. But on the scale I have it....it makes me gag. cupboards, whole doors, tabletops ..its every bloody where...

On this boat, its the last thing remaining link to its former life...everything else has changed. Its the last to go as its the most expensive to change (so I am told). I don't really want to spend a fortune but I don't want to devalue the boat by doing something cheap and stupid. anyone got any ideas???

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Ugly Boat

Difficult without seeing it. But.
What about Formica or laminates.
You can get them in wood grains, rigid or, flexible if you have to go round bends. Or real venears??
Renolith. Or however its spelt! Its the stuff they stick on UPVC windows and doors to make them look like wood.
Just cover it up!!
Course theres always paint.
Else its rebuild the interior!!

Haydn

stuartw

Visit site
Please don\'t change it

You are very lucky to have such nice wood. It cost a fortune, and whatever you do to cover it up will de-value yourboat. By the way what is it?.
I love wood, but I understand your view, there is too much of it. Can I therefore make a suggestion. Whatever action you take, ensure it can easily be undone, if not for yourself, but a prospective purchaser.
You can break up the visual effect by sticking some decorative tiles, for example, to the centre of the doors. If you use double side adhesive pads, these can, without damaging the laquer, be removed at a later date.
There are I'm sure, lots of similar things you can apply to the doors, without having to go to the considerable expense of replacing them.
Here's hoping you keep the wood-good luck,
Stuart

G

I think it's very brave of you to admit all this.

The options are to restore it, to cover it, replace it or replace the boat.

To restore may mean that it shines more. It may make it more acceptable.

To cover has options of either lacquering the remvable bits (doors etc) and to have an upholsterer cover the fixed bits. Unless you are a pro spray painter, or upholsterer, it'll show if you try and do it yerself and be awful. Indeed, even a pro will have to be good at it, so get a look at their work.

You may get colour combination ideas from a car or a boat show. Deep rich colours such as blues, greens, reds are sports-car-like, and would be ok with handles in chrome or (praps) brass.

good luck

martin

Visit site
Fanx chaps..Definately a winter project but had no clue where to begin. Thinking about it..I will probably make doors same colour as walls just to bright'n it up. Saloon Table will be a custom made job no doubt. Cupboards etc will need careful thought though. I will check out the different veneers and vinyls. Shame there isn't a changin rooms telly prog for boats...heh!

Other threads that may be of interest