Up to date info on entry procedure to france

lumphammer

Visit site
Hi all,
Having waited for the winds to die down so we can get across to France from Portland, I find that Cherbourg is going to be full of Fastnet boats from 17th to 31st with no guarantees of space available. So I'm wondering what my alternatives are? We want to spend some time in France and go round to S Brittany so we won't likely be returning from the same port we checked in at.
So what are the alternatives that can be used as ports of entry and what are the procedures for checking in? Any up to date info would be gratefully received.

guernseyman

Visit site
Hi all,
Having waited for the winds to die down so we can get across to France from Portland, I find that Cherbourg is going to be full of Fastnet boats from 17th to 31st with no guarantees of space available. So I'm wondering what my alternatives are? We want to spend some time in France and go round to S Brittany so we won't likely be returning from the same port we checked in at.
So what are the alternatives that can be used as ports of entry and what are the procedures for checking in? Any up to date info would be gratefully received.
I append my reply to a similar question:
If you do move on to Normandy or Brittany you should be aware of the new requirements for a Form variously called Preavis Police aux Frontieres or Preavis Douane - Immigration to be emailed to your port of arrival before you depart.
It requires details of your boat and crew for entry into the Schengen area, and you should also file one before leaving the area.

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Hi all,
If you’re heading south: maybe Portland to Guernsey. Then Guernsey to Roscoff, which is a port of entry? Stamp in at the ferry terminal.
Good tidal assistance available for both passages. And sets you up for Roscoff to L’Aberwrac’h, L’Aberwrac’h to Camaret. Followed by a further tidally assisted day sail: Camaret into Benodet Bay (Loctudy, Benodet, Concarneau - according to preference). And you’ve arrived in Southern Brittany.

Last edited:

Lightwave395

Visit site
If you’re heading south: maybe Portland to Guernsey. Then Guernsey to Roscoff, which is a port of entry? Stamp in at the ferry terminal.
Good tidal assistance available for both passages. And sets you up for Roscoff to L’Aberwrac’h, L’Aberwrac’h to Camaret. Followed by a further tidally assisted day sail: Camaret into Benodet Bay (Loctudy, Benodet, Concarneau - according to preference). And you’ve arrived in Southern Brittany.
+1 to that
Also, depending on your boat of course, it's less than 24 hurs from Portland direct to Roscoff where check in to France is very simple and next door to the marina, as mentioned above you're then ideally placed to get around the corner into Southern Brittany

doug748

Visit site
I think you always did have options on landing place
,, the difficulty is getting your passport inspected and stamped.

There have been reports on here of expensive long distance taxi rides as well as examples of officers being willing to travel smaller distances to visit the boat. In the case of the 'Aber's' transport to Brest is fairly easy and, if I really was keen on landing there direct, I might just send the form, arrive and see what happened.

lumphammer

Visit site
As an update we made the crossing direct from Portland to Roscoff. Before leaving I emailed the form from

Here

to the two email addresses on the form.
As far as I could see the copy to the marina was unnecessary as they never mentioned it when we checked in. (in fact I didn't get any response from emails previously sent to the marina)
I received an email back from the Douanes suggesting we meet them at 3pm of the day we were arriving, but in the end we were later than expected and the office in the Gare Maritime was closed when we got there. We went back just after the ferry had departed at 3pm the next day. The office is in the departure lounge and there is a buzzer on the door to attract attention. A very nice lady who spoke good English recognised our name from the Preavis form we had emailed and stamped our passports with no problem.
It makes sense to time your arrival at the Douanes to just after the ferry has departed and before they all head home after a hard days work stamping passports.
Hope this helps anyone heading the same way. I assume departing would be just a reversal of the same procedure.

Bathdave

Visit site
It makes sense to time your arrival at the Douanes to just after the ferry has departed and before they all head home after a hard days work stamping passports.
Indeed

we tagged on the end of a queue of foot passengers getting on ferry to Plymouth (at the behest of a senior officer) and it was only when we checked out a month later at st Brieuc customs office (not convenient to get to!) that our passports had been stamped with the entry symbol not the exit one.

Allan

Visit site
Just to add a little more information to this thread.
We sailed from Falmouth directly to Brest (marina Chateau). The customs building is s few minutes walk. We first went at 4pm and they apologised that nobody was available to stamp the passports. The next morning it was simple to go in, they took the passports and 5 minutes later brought them back stamped.
The return, again from Brest was just as simple. We had them stamped about 3pm and left the next day for Dartmouth.
The skipper had sent the emails but nothing was said about them.
Allan

Other threads that may be of interest