but once I get there

do I need any paperwork?

do I need a license?

do I need a lock handle?

anyone been up there

Dylan

Sixpence

Visit site
First lock you'll get to is The Dog In A Doublet near Whittlesey, that's the end of tidal and no key needed, passage through the Dog In A Doublet Lock is by prior booking only and you are advised to contact the lock keeper Mick Wright on 01733 202219 or 07887 831883 to confirm your passage.
Above the lock I don't know about paperwork but you may be asked for a waterways licence, speak to Mick for advice, nice bloke, for a Fenlander.
From there you'll find little before Peterborough, though some boats were moored just before I think they may have been moved on, liveaboards on the river bank. Turn left just before the big flyover and you'll find an old boat yard in Stanground that used to be a good place for fixing and fettling.
Through to Peterborough you'll find council moorings near the theatre, though I wouldn't want to leave the slug there long term.
Next lock as I remember is by Peterborough sailing club, lots of narrow boats and mobo's, but they will most likely give you a good reception as they're on the whole, another nice bunch. Look out for Firecrest there and if Steve is aboard, tell him Dave & Louise said to say hello. You may well end up regretting it though, they'll most likely ply you with a drop of the good stuff.
Mooring there is good and safe, though you'll need a normal lock key to get through they'll most likely make your boat at home if you need to leave it there.
If the Nene Valley railway is running that's a nice way to get into town for the main line station, not too far to walk from one to the other
Above PYC you'll find more and more locks but if you wanted to, there's loads of places you can get to.

ianc1200

Visit site
I did wonder whether you could do the round trip; up the Nene, through the Middle Level, and back down the Ouse, or the other way round.

The bottom half of the non-tidal Nene is really beautiful.

To mention another thread, perhaps you could find out whether it's "Neen" or "Nen". I've heard it depends which county you're in.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
spoke to mick

I have spoken to Mick on the phone

he told me to be at the lock thursday morning by 10.30

then I will be on the system until monday afternoon at 2.00 or so.

he can't do sunday as he will be away for the weekend

he is going to do me four separate day passes for the slug

£35

plus I will have to buy a handle for the locks

£10

blimey this inland waterways lark is pricey

we will load the bikes up on the bow of the slug and stow the mast on one side of the boat - not decided which side yet.

might even take the dog - not decided that yet either

I am going to mostly use the little Honda as that way I can avoid too many weed and supermarket trolly problems and stop the beast from dreaming up new ways of breaking itself

so....

how long should I allow for the trip from wisbech to the dog?

and will I be able to do much sailing on the Nene?

Dylan

Sixpence

Visit site
Time is a bit like how long is a piece of string I'm afraid, depends obviously on speed but current flow after all the rain could make the flow quite heavy, unless you're aiming at going with the tide which is what I would do.
As for sailing, are you any good at dropping and raising the mast quickly ?.
They used to have ships sail all the way into Peterborough, you'll see the old warehouses when you reach the city centre. Not many bridges and some you won't need to drop for, until you get to the main quay. After that you've got the main town bridge and various rail and pedestrian bridges. From town to PYC lock there's too many trees to make it worthwhile so motor is best, but above the lock, the flood plain opens out into some beautiful countryside and there are plenty of chances for a stick up day.
If you're feeling very adventurous, you'll find you can travel all round the Island of East Anglia via the Grand Union. Back to Londinium and out the Thames to do it all again. Managed a fair chunk of it on a 50 footer a few years back, but make sure you're carrying plenty of lights for the tunnels. Not so you can see but so others can see you. I seem to remember quite a few lazy days just relaxing while chugging along. Until we bought our other mobo and launched onto the inland waterways at Ramsey. Don't ask how herself decided to get rid of the roof horn she didn't like :eek:
A screwdriver would have done a much better job :eek:
But then that's another story, and I've bored you enough already :p

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
To mention another thread, perhaps you could find out whether it's "Neen" or "Nen". I've heard it depends which county you're in.

Upstream of the (old) bridge at Thrapston, it's the Nen. Downstream of there, it's the Neen

The reason why is long lost in the dim and distant mists of time

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Do let me know when you are past Whittlesea.... could meet you for a beer, or just a chinwag!

If you can get that far, the Middle Nene yachtclub up towards Thrapston is delightful.

If you're in the Peterborough area on Friday/Tuesday evening, I could promise you a few dozen fascinated sea cadets as you pass by their unit by Peterborough Town bridge!

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Hi Dylan,

I live just north of Peterborough, but spent much of my childhood pootling around on the Nene in canoes, dinghies and various other assorted craft of varying degrees of seaworthiness!

My kids attend the Sea Cadet unit, which is a fabulous building (the second oldest in the city after the Cathedral), hence the reference... they've also got a jetty at the back of the building.... just a 2 min walk from the Cathedral area... happy to ask if they'd mind you tying up there for a night if you like.

Cheers

Neil

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
sailing

usually when going up rivers I drop and stow the mast on one side of the boat

the alternative is to leave the mast on the hinge, lash the foil to the mast so that it does not get bent and then use an old genoa with a two part purchase as a forestay, run another old genoa up the mast slot and forget about the boom

that way I can drop the rig and do some sailing

It sound as though this might be worth doing on some sections of the nene

anyone know about overhead cables between the bridges

also..... how fast is the current?

I understand that they have electrified some of the locks now....

anyone know how many are hand crankers?

D

Sixpence

Visit site
Overhead cables - Don't remember any worrying ones, any are likely to be pylon height so unlikely to be a problem
Current - Above the dog lock no great problem unless there has been heavy rain, just don't go near the wier at any lock at the higher level. Seen one very unpleasant sight as a narrowboat managed to get caught in the current going over, and he needed some major assistance to get his boat back off the sill
Can't help with hand crankers, best to anticipate most still are then it's a nice surprise if they've been electrified
Definately suggest taking Morgana up on the mooring suggestion, about the safest mooring in the city centre, building is the last on the right just before the town bridge and would make a good stopping point to secure the mast as you won't be able to use it for a while.
Might even meet a few mobo's who might just convince you they're not all bad, maybe

Poignard

Visit site
I enjoyed a ride on the Nene Valley Railway last Saturday; from Warnford to Peterborough and back.

The railway passes by some shacks by the water's edge just outside Peterborough, each with its own mooring. Struck me as quite a pleasant place to live, with a river and your boat outside your front door, and a steam railway at the back door.

Fenlander

Visit site
Peterborough Yacht Club above orton staunch would be a good place to stop for the night just pull in to to the visitor mooring outside the clubhouse and ask for the harbourmaster.