Unusual Tillerpilot connector plug question.

steve yates

Visit site
I wired my wee boat for an autohelm 1000, which didnt work. I have got a used simrad tp10, but it has what looks like a 12v cig lighter plugon the end of it.
The socket is a 3 pin one, though only two wires are connected to it, the pos and the neg. What is my simplest solution here?
Pics below.
51644175-0863-4D87-A8EF-707D7341B3F1.jpeg
47375D9A-A416-4231-B27A-2BFEC5063128.jpeg

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
You should find one of the three pin plugs in any chandlery, they're very common and pretty good. Fitting one to the TP would be the pragmatic choice.

The TP10 would originally have had one of these, which are about the best you can get.

F0452136-01

Bulgin

Edit, there's a matching socket with cover.

Poignard

Visit site
I just had a look at SVB and Simrad's sites, the TP10 comes without, the 22 and 32 come with plugs and sockets. Partly because the latter have data connections...
Glad you told me. I just began laboriously composing an email with the help of Google Translate as follows:

"Vor drei Jahren hast du mich verkauft. ." :ROFLMAO:

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
The plug on your ap looks like it might be a 12v din plug similar to what a lot of motorcycles use (smaller than a cigarette plug). Hella do a nice socket for them. I have one you can have for the post... but I would also agree a Bulgin 0736 would be a better connector.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I'm not sure if you can buy a 3-pin plug to suit your existing socket. Or a socket to suit your new plug. I would just buy one of these sets. They are not expensive.

View attachment 128680
I changed to this type because as patina bulds up on the pins & the female parts it causes a bad connection. The metal one has pins that are easier to clean with a piece of emery paper. The female part can be cleaned with a drill bit or a thin stick with a bit of emery wrapped round it. Electric joint cleaner is rarely successful. Some have a split in the pin so one can open the pin up a bit.
With the plastic ones shown on post#3, one cannot do up the outer ring tight & one can easily get it cross threaded. The outer storage cover tends to stick as well & can be tight to get off without something to remove it. ( my plugs are in the open cockpit)

I am on my 7Th autopilot so I have had some experience of autopilot failure & the plug is a common point. The last one was part of the reason I needed a life boat's assistance one night in F7. It can be a real pain in heavy weather to find the autopilot decides to cut out when one is below running down wind & suddenly gybes before one can get to the helm.

Last edited:

andsarkit

Visit site
I changed to this type because as patina bulds up on the pins & the female parts it causes a bad connection. The metal one has pins that are easier to clean with a piece of emery paper. The female part can be cleaned with a drill bit or a thin stick with a bit of emery wrapped round it. Electric joint cleaner is rarely successful. Some have a split in the pin so one can open the pin up a bit.
With the plastic ones shown on post#3, one cannot do up the outer ring tight & one can easily get it cross threaded. The outer storage cover tends to stick as well & can be tight to get off without something to remove it. ( my plugs are in the open cockpit)

I am on my 7Th autopilot so I have had some experience of autopilot failure & the plug is a common point. The last one was part of the reason I needed a life boat's assistance one night in F7. It can be a real pain in heavy weather to find the autopilot decides to cut out when one is below running down wind & suddenly gybes before one can get to the helm.
I really dislike the metal plugs as the plain brass pins always corrode and need constant cleaning. I have never had a corrosion problem with the plated pins on the Bulgin plugs. I agree that the cap thread is too fine but it is quite easy to turn it anticlockwise until it clicks and then tighten it with no chance of cross threading. I have used Bulgin connectors under a metre of water for several months with no problems.
The Bulgin bulkhead fitting is not brilliant as with a plug inserted it is quite tall and prone to damage. I have resorted to a swan neck fitting and an inline plug and socket as the best solution.
I have started using these connectors SP13 connectors which are cheaper than Bulgin and seem good quality with gold plated pins. They are quite small but there is a larger version available.SP211