Uninsured when singlehanded

MoodySabre

Visit site
Thanks Andrew - mine is the same but the schedule is on the boat with the ship's papers. A phone call will clarify.

Won't stop me going but SWMBO would kill me if anything happened that was uninsured - except if it happened to me!

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Well my policy makes absolutely no mention of minimum required crew numbers or sailing hours/times... and only restricts via geographical limits with classic Brest to Elbe clause..... and i've read carefully through all the fine print of the policy wording, and not just the plain english summary to check that....

And as far as I am aware, I didn't pay a special premium for that cover!

Pye_End

Visit site
Ditto mine - I'm insured for daylight single handed.

They will consider night time single handed insurance if you write and explain, and give them your experience/qualifications so they can make a judgement.

Birdseye

Visit site
I have cover for single handing both in daylight and at night, not that I am intending to try either.

The trick is to go through a genuine broker (not a call center), talk to somone with a proper insurance qualification rather than some young dolly and to specify what you want in the way of coverage from the start. Insurance compoanies can be very flexible if talking to a broker rather than direct to you. So, for example, I got coverage for the Baltic to N Spain with the only qualification being no Biscay between October and (from memory) May. Not that I would anyway. No 10 year rule on rigging and no survey required every so often.

The premium was competitive with every other quote I got.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I'm with www.craftinsure.com
No restrictions on single handing day or night -

General Exceptions:
We will not pay for:
• Claims whilst out on hire, or charter, or used for other than private purposes.
• Claims arising from capture, seizure, arrest, restraint or detainment, and the consequences thereof or of any attempt thereat; or from the consequences of hostilities or warlike operations, whether there be a declaration of war or not; but this clause does not exclude collision, contact with any fixed or floating object (other than a mine or torpedo), stranding, heavy weather or fire unless caused directly (and independently of the nature of the voyage or service in which “Lady in Red” is concerned or, in the case of a collision, any other vessel involved therein, is performing) by a hostile act by or against a belligerent power; and for the purpose of this clause "power" includes any authority maintaining naval, military or air forces in association with a power.
• Claims arising from the consequences of civil war, revolution, rebellion, insurrection, or civil strife arising therefrom.
• Warranted free of loss damage or expense or any legal liability of whatsoever nature directly or indirectly caused by or contributed to by or arising from ionising radiations from or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste from the combustion of nuclear fuel or the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous properties of any explosive nuclear assembly or nuclear component thereof.
• Loss, destruction or damage occasioned by pressure waves caused by aircraft or other aerial devices travelling at sonic or supersonic speeds.
• Claims arising from your reckless actions, or those to whom this policy extends.
• The first £200 of any claim, or double this amount whilst racing.

Warranties applicable to “Lady in Red”:
• If “Lady in Red” is over 20 years old you have in your possession a survey report not more than three years old from a qualified yacht surveyor with all recommendations complied with.
• “Lady in Red” does not exceed 45ft in length.
• The permanent home mooring of “Lady in Red” is in the United Kingdom.

aknight

yachtarabella.blogspot.com
Unless singlehanding in certain circumstances or conditions constituted, or materially contributed to, "Claims arising from your reckless actions, or those to whom this policy extends", maybe?

(sorry, typical bl**dy lawyer, I just have to argue - I'll fetch my coat)

mikejames

www.hamble.demon.co.uk
I have singlehanded sailing allowed in daylight hours when equipped with adequate self-steering gear.
I arranged that for no extra premium when I asked because I needed to move the boat from a mooring to a boatyard for the first time.
That is with Bishop Skinner.

Malcb

www.virgo-owners.org
I'm insiured through Bishop Skinner and have no restrictions regarding single-handing or hours of sailing, although one sailing 'colleague' has suggested that it is because my OAL is 23 foot. He is only restricted in his, slightly longer boat' to daylight hours only. However he has checked, and they will apply the daylight hours restriction sensibly. Like if out for the day and he is a bit late back because of ,say, weather, no problem.

Similarly with mine, I do have a distance offshore restriction, but if it is unavaoidable to go futher offshore because of circumstances beyond my controlthen no problem.

Most rstrictions can be lifted, and sometimes with no inrease in premium. It comes down to disclosure.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
But it does seem to be a bit random as to whether cover is restricted or not from the above posts.....

My LOA is 40' yet don't have any restrictions, so it can't be just length.... and the same insurer provides Sailorman with restrictions, when he has a boat that is quite frankly far better set up for single handing than mine.....

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

oldharry

Visit site
I'm with Bishop Skinner, and was restricted to daylight single handing not more than 12 miles offshore in my 26 footer. I just ahd a quote for my new 24 footer, with no restrictions.

Nothing to stop you sailing single handed this weekend, but you wont be insured while you do!

jb2006

Visit site
I have insured with Pantaenius for the last couple of years - specifically no restriction on minimum crew - or racing - or hours sailed in any 24 hour period as far as I can see. Need to be aware of the "gross negligence" clause tho'

May cost a bit more (probably not as much as you think) - but worth it in my book

JB

JB

Seven Spades

Visit site
I asked GJW to about single handed cover, because I have crew who have little experiance and would not qualify as "competent crew". however I note the use of lower case to mean that they do not explictly require "RYA Competent Crew".

To change the endorsement for me was a cost of £7 for administration, not a change in premium.