Uninsured when singlehanded

RMA

Visit site
I used to have single handed in daylight. A couple of years ago I asked my insurers for night time cover as well, sent them a list of the boat's equipment, and they agreed. No increase in premium, but the excess is higher when I do. Amlin through Nautical Insurance Services.

pvb

Visit site
CraftInsure...

Like some others, I'm insured online with CraftInsure. Before signing up, I emailed to ask about singlehanding and was told there are no restrictions.

For those who have "daylight only" cover, it's worth noting that insurers' definition of "daylight" is usually sunrise to sunset, so a gentle evening potter back to base (just after sunset but still light) may leave you uninsured.

cglanton

Visit site
I asked Craft insure last week about single handed sailing response as follows:

Further to our telephone conversation I can confirm we have no single handed sailing exclusion, but we would apply the general condition that the insured shall at all times exercise due care and diligence in safeguarding the property insured.

However our underwriters have commented:

“When asked for an example I simply say that I would not expect to see a claim from a customer crossing the shipping lanes at night in a gale!”

I am sure you would agree this is not exercising due care and diligence.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Rustyknight

Visit site
Just be carefull you don't get to enjpy it so much that you resent having other people on board...... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[3889]

Visit site
I did contact GJW for night solo and they agreed to it with double the excess in event of a night related claim. Quite reasonable I thought.