UKHO/RYA Chartplotter

dafteddy

Visit site
Have a laptop, a Garmin 48 and the above chartplotter. Laptop has no serial port (USB only). Got the correct Garmin lead and bought a Belkin serial to USB thingy. Spent 15 hours trying to get GPS to show up on chartplotter. Nothing! Read all the Help file suggestions. Nothing!

HELP!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Benbow

Visit site
I don't know this chartplotter, but assuming your wiring is OK, you need to check that the GPS is transmitting the protocol your software expects. This is not the default on the Garmin, change it to NMEA to NMEA.

You also need to check that the software is looking on the right 'serial' port. On mine the USB/serial appears as COM7, there will be a setting somewhere in your charplotter to set this. You can find the port number by going to 'my computer' right click then choose properties then choose hardware then device manager then ports. You will see your USB serial port listed as COMn where n is a number from 1-?

Hope that help

<hr width=100% size=1>

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
I believe he is referring to the Admiralty Charts issued by the RYA on CD as of a couple of weeks ago. They are £40 per set (ie per different areas) and the license lasts for a year, then buy another CD.

I've got one running on my laptop and it is pretty good value for money, although not interfaced it with the GPS yet.

<hr width=100% size=1>I'm average size, Its just that everybody else is short.

dafteddy

Visit site
Many Thanks Benbow and BIGNICK.

When all is connected and switched on, a look in Device manager and Ports just shows COM1 and the Printer port. There is no sign of USB port. It is as if the laptop (P3 1 Ghz running XP Pro) is not "seeing" the USB/serial apapter. Don't know what to try now. Looks like I will just have to carry on with the paper charts and the Mk1 Eyeball a little longer. Bit of a waste of £100 though. (Chartplotter prog. leads and Belkin serial/USB adapter)

Just a thought. Is some sort of driver required for the serial/USB adapter? There was no disk or CD with the adapter when I purchased it.
<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by dafteddy on 15/04/2004 09:57 (server time).</FONT></P>

danera

dixdesign.com
I assume com1 is your built in modem?

I'm pretty sure the belkin usb/serial should just appear in the device manager when plugged in (ie windows will auto detect it). They are rather tempremental - I've set one up for my Dad's iridium phone/email, but thats now in the south pacific, so can't help much more there... It is possible it is faulty - have you tried it on another computer?

I've had the keyspan model recommended over the belkin one by several people - if you get the chance to return it I would go for one of these, I'm not suggesting throwing good money after bad! I've also tried a 'blackbox' pcmcia card adaptor which was equally rubbish!

You can also check the nmea data is getting to the computer by running hyperterminal, 'connect using comX' (once it appears in the device man!), setting the baud rate to 4800 then should see all the nmea sentences spewing from the gps.

Let us know how you get on as I'm interested in the software, but also have a serialess laptop so will have to find a similar solution

<hr width=100% size=1>

iacle

Visit site
I'm interested how this thread will run, as I can't get my garmin 48 to work with this software either. I've tried several interface settings on the gps - none/nmea; nmea/nmea, v1.5 & v2.0 and get nothing on the navigation software. The serial port settings & pin connections are those given by Garmin. I don't believe a device on the serial port will show up on device manager, unless a driver is loaded for it.
Can I view the nmea data by starting a hyperterminal session on the com port with the gps connected ? What should I see ?
Ian

<hr width=100% size=1>Ian

Benbow

Visit site
Not sure if it helps to say this, but I have sucessfully connected a garmin 48 and 128 to a laptop via a USB/serial port with no problems at all. You should see your emulated port as a device and real com ports too. If you don't then that is where your problem is.

You can download free, simple and easily configurable software such as GPSNMEA for reading nmea from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/idx_nmeaprog.html>here</A>, it may help diagnose problems.

<hr width=100% size=1>

davidfox

Visit site
When I had a problem with my Magellen and the USB/serial thing it was a problem with the driver. can you download one from Garmins site?

Best of luck

Luddite

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Shouldn't need driver for the USB to serial adaptor ...... BUT you will need for the software / plotter set-up.
Have you tried switching on with all connected and see if it detects a 'new' connected item ? Or tried manually Hardware Install search ?

XP has on numerous occasions been the culprit on this USB / Serial bit ... and needs coaxing.

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ... and of course Yahoo groups :
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gps-navigator/

dafteddy

Visit site
Hi all,

Great response - much appreciated. Have decided, on the balance of your answers, to spend the difference between expensive antifouling and the cheap and cheerful stuff on a 'kosher' Garmin adapter c/w driver as this seems to be the crux of the matter. Will await arrival with baited breath and post results to this thread.

Again, many thanks to all, it's good to know that it's not just me that can't make it all work!

<hr width=100% size=1>Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

bumblefish

Visit site
Not much help I am sure, but my old Garmin GPS12 hooks up quite happily to a serial port and would display my position if only the RYA/UKHO would send me the pack number 11 which I 'pre-ordered' and has not yet arrived!

<hr width=100% size=1>...If you can find the simple solution to a complex problem, you've got it wrong!.........

Benbow

Visit site
if its any help
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=669>this</A> is the adapter I use on a laptop running XP pro. It does come with a driver and it installed and ran without a hitch. Cost 20 pounds.

You don't need any other drivers. There is no such thing as GPS driver for an external GPS, it is just transmitting a data stream.

<hr width=100% size=1>

rwakeham

Visit site
I had the same problem. IF your USB/Serial adapter is not showing a COM port in device manager then reinstall the adapter. I had to do this a few times before I got it to work. Once I had set the garmin output correctly, and set the right com port in the software all worked fine.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dafteddy

Visit site
And the morning and the evening were the sixth day!

Behold the arrival of the Garmin serial to USB lead c/w CD rom containing drivers for 98, 2000 & Xp. Follow the simple instructions; plug in the GPS; remember to tell the chartplotter software the name of the psuedo serial port (COM4 in my case but name available in Settings/Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/Ports/click on + sign.)

And!

Robert is yer Mummy's brother! First time success.

Distilling all the suggestions and replies (gratefully received) I am convinced that the major problem encountered is not having the correct driver installed. W2000 and Xp seem to pick up the new device o.k. but it is the chartplotter software that requires the driver. Lots of serial/USB converters appear to be available without drivers and this is what caught me out.

NMEA/NMEA is the right setting on the Garmin.

The Chartplotter itself is much better than "basic". It has a few bells and whistles, certainly enough to keep you occupied, remembering that we go sailing - not computering. At £39 a year for a folio of familiar Admiralty charts with no corrections to make; the ability to set waypoints and routes during the winter's ad breaks on TV; all with the simple click of a button - happy days.

Thank you very much to all who took the trouble to make suggestions. All were helpful and, I hope, the thread will help anyone else having similar problems.

Now, a waypoint for the pub, let's see.................................

<hr width=100% size=1>Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you!