UK Part 1 registration

Irish Rover

Visit site
I'm applying for UK Part 1 registration for a boat I'm in the process of buying. I made the application today for provisional registration. I spoke to a lady in the Registry and she was extremely pleasant and helpful. My provisional application is now on line and they're asking for a letter signed by me and my family members who will have shares confirming the boat is currently outside the UK. Is this to do with CE conformity or what.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I'm applying for UK Part 1 registration for a boat I'm in the process of buying. I made the application today for provisional registration. I spoke to a lady in the Registry and she was extremely pleasant and helpful. My provisional application is now on line and they're asking for a letter signed by me and my family members who will have shares confirming the boat is currently outside the UK. Is this to do with CE conformity or what.
Could it be to do with the survey requirements? I remember there was a grace period for boats outside the UK.
You could just call up and ask. I have always found them extremely helpful.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Could it be to do with the survey requirements? I remember there was a grace period for boats outside the UK.
You could just call up and ask. I have always found them extremely helpful.
Friday evening after 17.00 is not a good time to be calling ;). Giving them the letter is no bother and I'll just do it. I was just curious. I agree about them being helpful. The lady I spoke to today would be an asset and a credit to any organisation.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Just curious: why aren't you registering your boat under the Irish flag, thereby avoiding all the 90/180 day rules (or whatever the rule is for UK flagged boats in the EU)?

Edit: I assume that you are actually Irish?
Yeah, a proud Paddy. I'm resident in Türkiye. I'm buying EU VAT unpaid. I wouldn't be eligible for EU temporary admission with an Irish flag. No 90/180 rules for boats, only for the onboard bods. The boat gets 18 months which can be reset as many times as you want with a short trip out of an EU port.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Think the "outside UK waters" bit is possibly explained here? ...

Provisional Registration

The only thing that worried me about provisional registration was the 3 month expiry.

If registration onto the UK Ship Register is not completed before the Certificate expires, your ship will cease to be recognised as British. 

My Part 1 application took a long time due to chasing down invoices and previous sales contracts from 3 different countries, have PM'd you with the details. Hopefully Sunsail have all these going back to original factory order.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Think the "outside UK waters" bit is possibly explained here? ...

Provisional Registration

The only thing that worried me about provisional registration was the 3 month expiry.

My Part 1 application took a long time due to chasing down invoices and previous sales contracts from 3 different countries, have PM'd you with the details. Hopefully Sunsail have all these going back to original factory order.
Thanks. I replied to the PM before I saw this. In my case the ownership trail is short and effectively all within the control of Sunsail Brokerage. Fingers crossed 🤞

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Can an EU resident use a non EU vat paid boat within the EU..just asking?

Maybe you are a non EU resident Paddy...
Yes. If it is not yours. E.g. you charter it from a charter company (you will pay VAT on the charter price).

I would imagine things get more complicated if you are the owner of the charter company and you charter your company's boat to yourself and no-one else.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
No.
Guilty as charged.
If you are an EU citizen (e.g. Irish) but not resident in the EU, in theory you can have a boat in the EU which is not VAT paid. Even with an Irish flag. It is residence not citizenship which is supposed to count.

But you may be repeatedly challenged to show that you are not resident - i.e. you will need to prove you are resident outside of the EU.
I have no idea how easy/difficult this turns out to be in practice with local officialdom.

I have a feeling it might be very tiresome.

Irish Rover

Visit site
If you are an EU citizen (e.g. Irish) but not resident in the EU, in theory you can have a boat in the EU which is not VAT paid. Even with an Irish flag. It is residence not citizenship which is supposed to count.

But you may be repeatedly challenged to show that you are not resident - i.e. you will need to prove you are resident outside of the EU.
I have no idea how easy/difficult this turns out to be in practice with local officialdom.

I have a feeling it might be very tiresome.
I don't think that is correct. My understanding is the boat can not be registed in an EU member state.

Tranona

Visit site
I don't think that is correct. My understanding is the boat can not be registed in an EU member state.
That is correct. The basis of TA is that it is for genuine "visitors" from outside the EU (or visiting the UK as we have the same rules for non residents)

awol

Visit site
..... as this thread is drifting already ...... as a holder of UK and Irish Passports with a boat on the UK SSR and resident in GB I had assumed sailing in the Schengen area was going to relatively simple - check-in on arrival and then carry on my merry way via whichever member states took my fancy. I suspect I shall be disabused of this notion!

Tranona

Visit site
..... as this thread is drifting already ...... as a holder of UK and Irish Passports with a boat on the UK SSR and resident in GB I had assumed sailing in the Schengen area was going to relatively simple - check-in on arrival and then carry on my merry way via whichever member states took my fancy. I suspect I shall be disabused of this notion!
Correct - just ensure you have a good record of entry for your boat to respect the 18 month limit before leaving. Some states have formal mechanisms for this, others more relaxed.