UK Part 1 registration

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
..... as this thread is drifting already ...... as a holder of UK and Irish Passports with a boat on the UK SSR and resident in GB I had assumed sailing in the Schengen area was going to relatively simple - check-in on arrival and then carry on my merry way via whichever member states took my fancy. I suspect I shall be disabused of this notion!
You have an Irish passport, so regardless of residency or boat you are not subject to the 90/180 day Schengen limits as you are a citizen of an EU country. You still need to report your presence in any country you stay in longer than 90 days though, and prove independent means to stay there.

I am the same except U.K. and German passports. Resident currently in Germany.

The only fly in your ointment might be if you have a boat which is not union goods and is under temporary admission (for which you rely on your U.K. residency) and you happen to be simultaneously claiming EU citizenship to be allowed to stay in an EU country more than 90 days - which then requires registry of your presence - which may impact their view of your residency, and hence your entitlement to TA. Worst case they may demand a VAT payment and import of your boat.

I'm not sure how EU officialdom in the various EU countries would view this situation so it is just speculation.

If your boat is EU VAT paid, then no issue, stay as long as you like or hop between EU countries at your leisure.

Irish Rover

Visit site
..... as this thread is drifting already ...... as a holder of UK and Irish Passports with a boat on the UK SSR and resident in GB I had assumed sailing in the Schengen area was going to relatively simple - check-in on arrival and then carry on my merry way via whichever member states took my fancy. I suspect I shall be disabused of this notion!
I can't see why you would have a problem as long as you check-in at an official port of entry on arrival in the EU and apply for TA. Thereafter do whatever they tell you to do regarding reporting at different ports etc. If you change countries go to customs/port police at your first port in the new country and repeat. Just be sure to have proof of UK residency. I enter in Greece regularly from Türkiye. They don't stamp my passport on arrival or departure and they're usually happy with a utility bill from Türkiye and a copy of my residence card. Ensure you never stay more than 6 months at a time which would make you an EU resident.

awol

Visit site
I can't see why you would have a problem as long as you check-in at an official port of entry on arrival in the EU and apply for TA. Thereafter do whatever they tell you to do regarding reporting at different ports etc. If you change countries go to customs/port police at your first port in the new country and repeat. Just be sure to have proof of UK residency. I enter in Greece regularly from Türkiye. They don't stamp my passport on arrival or departure and they're usually happy with a utility bill from Türkiye and a copy of my residence card. Ensure you never stay more than 6 months at a time which would make you an EU resident.
You may well be right but if, for example (and a ferry was available), I took my car to Norway I could drive to the toe of Italy with only road and bridge tolls to hinder me without reporting anywhere. Can I not do the same thing with my boat - not the road and tolls bit, of course? Schengen extends a bit beyond the EU - even Iceland is part!

Irish Rover

Visit site
You may well be right but if, for example (and a ferry was available), I took my car to Norway I could drive to the toe of Italy with only road and bridge tolls to hinder me without reporting anywhere. Can I not do the same thing with my boat - not the road and tolls bit, of course? Schengen extends a bit beyond the EU - even Iceland is part!
I've no idea about ferries, cars etc but I'm certain you need to comply with customs requirements when you enter with a boat. If your boat is not classed as Union Goods i.e. EU VAT paid - then you have to apply for TA and obey the rules and practices which seem to vary from country to country.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Back on track here. I scanned and sent the "outside UK" letter on Sunday. Got provisional approval and a provisional registration yesterday. Truthfully, I've no idea what the provisional registration entitles me to do.

Tranona

Visit site
Fly the flag as it is now a British Ship pending survey. Quite common as often like you the survey is not possible quickly. I think you have 3 months to get it done.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Fly the flag as it is now a British Ship pending survey. Quite common as often like you the survey is not possible quickly. I think you have 3 months to get it done.
Thanks. I'm not collecting the boat until mid April and I hope to have all paperwork done by then. I applied for provisional because I thought I could be getting on with some preliminaries like applying for ships radio licence, getting markings printed etc. But provisional cert has no official number so can't progress.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Thanks. I'm not collecting the boat until mid April and I hope to have all paperwork done by then. I applied for provisional because I thought I could be getting on with some preliminaries like applying for ships radio licence, getting markings printed etc. But provisional cert has no official number so can't progress.
I was wrong about this. I was able to get the Ships Radio Licence without the official number. Ofcom online is a super resourc. So easy.
Has anyone got the Part 1 official marking requirements to share please?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I was wrong about this. I was able to get the Ships Radio Licence without the official number. Ofcom online is a super resourc. So easy.
Has anyone got the Part 1 official marking requirements to share please?
It used to be the number carved into a bulkhead but I think a suitable plate with the details etched on and screwed somewhere is acceptable nowadays. Certainly was good enough for me and no-one ever checked.

Irish Rover

Visit site
@Irish Rover now that you have the official markings info, are you going tell us what you've bought?
Survey is next week. I'm just trying to get as much done as possible in advance because I'm going to be travelling for a couple of weeks and, if all goes OK, 10 days after I get back, I'll be heading to Croatia for handover and preparation for a long delivery trip.
But that wasn't your question, was it? I was really hoping no one would ask. Why you may well ask? Well when I was considering this boat I put the make, model into the YBW search function and, it does appear, I'm buying a heap of shite 🫣.