UK or Med

trainer

Visit site
I am looking to buy a 2 or 3 year old 32ft sailing cruiser to keep in Mallorca. Do any of you guys have experience or a view on buying in the UK and sailing out to med or buying in the med, 1. value for money. 2. Spec suitable for the med?
mark

<hr width=100% size=1>

lindsay

Visit site
As a general rule I think it is much cheaper - and quicker if this is where you want to be - to buy in the Med. Check out a couple of French yachting magazines which have a wealth of yachts available in that size, some ex charter which may have been motored a lot but sailed very little, or from private owners who have or have not maintained properly as anywhere else. Also Dickie's brokerage in Gibraltar. Both places are close enough to Mallorca. Can't advise on Spain for brokerage.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Salty

Visit site
Value for money is certainly better in Med. My first boat was ex-charter in the UK, but I could have bought privately owned of the same year in the Med. Only problem is that I wanted it in the UK and didn't have time to sail it back...

Mind you the £/EUR exchange rate at the time helped and over the last few months some of that advantage has eroded.

In terms of kit - I've only done holiday charters out there but you want a good engine and good storm weather gear as it only seems to be either flat calm or blowing dogs off chains !

<hr width=100% size=1>

trainer

Visit site
Thanks. Is that what you get with an ex. charter - well used engine and little used canvas? I guess the interior would take some hammer - especially the fridge in the Med!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Salty

Visit site
Most things in yachting are a compromise, and buying ex-charter was the only way I could afford a boat of the size I wanted, and of a reasonably new vintage. As long as you get a very good survey you should be alright. Mine showed that the boat had been crash-landed at some stage, and the keel was removed, repaired and restepped at the vendor's expense.

The only trouble I had with it in the time I owned it was engine-related: it was totally knackered, I knew it had high engine hours, but hadn't figured on it being run on full throttle all its life! Silly me, as I've chartered too! But that was fine - it was in the price (although the inconvenience of it conking out at inopportune moments wasn't great until I got it rebuilt).

The interior was in surprisingly good nick - tired but certainly not hammered, as were most of the other items from standing and running rigging through to electronics.

I guess the charter firm you buy from is important - some have a better reputation for the quality of their boats than others which is a reflection on the quality of the maintenance. While buying ex-charter was a compromise it was one I was happy with!

<hr width=100% size=1>

goupil

Visit site
There's a second hand boat show in Cap d'Agde 29 Oct to 2 Nov, (France Med. coast between Beziers and Montpellier). There's a bigger one in Brittany at the same dates...

<hr width=100% size=1>Brittany Yacht brokerage & assistance : PM

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Make sure you have a berth before assuming that you can find one there. My son lives on Mallorca, is in the yachting business, has many contacts, speaks Spanish, owns a boat of only 25 ft, but is unable to find a 12-month berth.

<hr width=100% size=1>

smee

Visit site
It is possible to find bargains in the Med if you are in the right place at the right time - as in UK! However as the Euro is stronger now it is unlikely you will get such a good bargain as could be obtained 3 years ago!
Secondly don't under estimate the difficulty in communicating with brokers, sellers, banks, and boatyards etc in the Med. If you assume it will take 3 days to do something be prepared for 3 months or even 3 years! You will have to make constant phone calls, where people will tell you they are doing what you want, only to phone the next week with the same assurances but nothing to show for them, and I am told its no easier if you live there!
For ease of transaction it may simply be better to buy here and take it down (and have a good adventure thrown in!)
Thirdly I hope you already have the berth in Mallorca, otherwise you will be sorely disappointed. There are either no yearly rentals available, unless you wish to go on a swinging mooring.

<hr width=100% size=1>

trainer

Visit site
On the subject of a mooring I have invested a largish sum to be a member of a yacht club which should I hope help in getting a mooring, they did say that for anything over 10m they would require a little notice (I don't think this was in years).
We are near a fairly queit part of Mallorca well away from Palma etc.

<hr width=100% size=1>

hilaryjane

Visit site
If you do buy in UK we took your 32ft yacht to the med via a wonderful West France coast cruise, left boat in Bordeuax for winter then canal du midi to Agde at easter, before it's too crowded and more water.
We then sailed on to Greece and have left the boat there.

<hr width=100% size=1>