UK Epoxy Resins

prv

Visit site
Kind of irrelevant really, as Fyne Boats is both cheaper and a known name.

(I'm comparing 7.5kg packs as that's what I might be in the market for.)

Pete

ctva

Visit site
Excellent service and the guy, Rob is extremely helpful with any queries you have. No conection, just a satisfied customer and forum aquaintance on another site.

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Has anyone dealt with this company?
http://www.epoxy-resins.co.uk

I am shopping around for epoxy resin atm and they seem very cheap. They make it themselves and I am wondering if they are a safe bet?

Many thanks

Hi m1nder,

Truth is there are only about 3 epoxy resin manufacturers in the whole world, and several hundred distributors, all each one does ad their own additives to the base product and give it their own brand name.

Finding out what they actually add is almost impossible.

The only way to be sure is make up test pieces using your favourite resin and the new product.

Both test pieces must be made at the same time, have the same cloth and density and weigh the same as well as heve the same dimensions.

Only then can you test them to destruction, and this will only be indicator, as you need to know how well it stands up over time as well.

Good luck.:)

fishermantwo

Visit site
Hi m1nder,

Truth is there are only about 3 epoxy resin manufacturers in the whole world, and several hundred distributors, all each one does ad their own additives to the base product and give it their own brand name.

Finding out what they actually add is almost impossible.

The only way to be sure is make up test pieces using your favourite resin and the new product.

Both test pieces must be made at the same time, have the same cloth and density and weigh the same as well as heve the same dimensions.

Only then can you test them to destruction, and this will only be indicator, as you need to know how well it stands up over time as well.

Good luck.:)

I agree with Oldsalts, its much like petrol, lots of companies but only a few refineries.
Locally I use FGI R180 for everything. Its cheap and the mixing ratio is easy to handle. If you choose a brand and stick to it and use the same stuff for laminating or making fillers you will be better off.

m1nder

Visit site
Thank for all the above posts. I have never used epoxy or any other resin before so I can't compare to anything. I want to restore an old 17' day cruiser, I need to epoxy and glass the hull interior and I want to coat the exterior in epoxy as the old gelcoat has had it. I need about 15-16Kg of epoxy.

There is no way I can afford West or the likes so I happened to come across UK Epoxy Resins and just wanted to ask if anyone else has used them? is it a good product? am I ok to buy from them?

Many thanks

electrosys

Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all
Visit site
I use ABL Stevens http://www.resin-supplies.co.uk/
Very helpful, will supply extra catalyst etc if yours has 'gone off', or if you've been sloppy with the mix ratio ....

Price compare:

UK Epoxy Resins:
3.75 Kg. £49.75
Shipping £11.50
Vat ...... £12.25

Total .... £73.50

ABL Stevens:
3.00 Kg. £42.08
Shipping £7.66 (fixed price up to 15 Kg)
VAT included

Total .... £49.74

Adjusted for comparison:
£49.74 x 3.75 / 3.00 = £62.18

So - over £11 less expensive on this amount ....

caiman

Visit site
Fyne Boats 3kg £46.43 including VAT.Delivery £11
6Kg £82 including VAT. Delivery £11.
This Epoxy is solvent free.ie it does'nt stink, and can be used indoors.I've used Fyne Boats epoxy to replace gunnels on a dinghy,make a dagger board, rudder,shelves,sandwich construction panels and loads of other stuff.It is very user friendly.The only disadvantage is that it takes 8 hours/overnight to cure.
No connection except being a very satisfied customer.
Google Fyne Boats to get the site.They do powders/fillers/paints/varnish etc.
Cheers

m1nder

Visit site
Thanks all for the replies, I didn't realise that UK Resins prices were ex-Vat. That makes quite a bit of difference.

Can I be sure that these "cheaper" resin suppliers are supplying good stuff? I'm just wondering why they are so much cheaper than say the West System. I guess my real question is - what's the catch?

C

catalac08

I used Uk Epoxy resins to epoxy coat my hulls about 8 years ago - result after 5 coats was a very hard glassy surface that is still immaculate under the antifoul. I seem to recall that the resin to hardener ratiop was more manageable than west systems which I also think is overpriced. I have also use SP. Do not forget that when buying anything in quantity the price should come down dramatically. I also found UK very good to deal with as when my order was short and they sent the missing container without any quible or question immediately.

m1nder

Visit site
Fyne Boats 3kg £46.43 including VAT.Delivery £11
6Kg £82 including VAT. Delivery £11.
This Epoxy is solvent free.ie it does'nt stink, and can be used indoors.I've used Fyne Boats epoxy to replace gunnels on a dinghy,make a dagger board, rudder,shelves,sandwich construction panels and loads of other stuff.It is very user friendly.The only disadvantage is that it takes 8 hours/overnight to cure.
No connection except being a very satisfied customer.
Google Fyne Boats to get the site.They do powders/fillers/paints/varnish etc.
Cheers

For some reason, they don't seem to have glass matt, they just have different weights of finer woven cloth.

electrosys

Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all
Visit site
Can I be sure that these "cheaper" resin suppliers are supplying good stuff? I'm just wondering why they are so much cheaper than say the West System. I guess my real question is - what's the catch?

Haven't you (like thousands of others) caught on yet ?

West 'Systems' (LOL) is a brand-name marketing exercise.

From a builder's point-of-view the stuff is expensive rubbish - a crazy mix ratio (which then means you have to buy special pumps ... from West), and the stuff is too damned viscous to soak into plywood - so you then have to dilute it, which leaves the epoxy semi-permeable, defeating the object of using it in the first place.

Using West becomes like a religion - a blindness to 'what else is out there'. My advice would be: try as many brands as you can (including West) and choose the one you're happiest with.

The fact that you're questioning 'cheaper' brands, exposes a belief that West is some kind of 'standard'. Why not reverse the thought, and question why West is so much more expensive than other brands ? I've even seen 'West' woven glass fibre tape at +50% the price of 'ordinary' woven glass fibre tape !

As other have said, there are only a handful of epoxy manufacturers in the whole world: major multi-national corporations of the size of ICI or Union Carbide - small outfits like West simply add a couple of ingredients, and then claim to be manufacturers ...

pcatterall

Visit site
I'm on the search too! looking for 25 Lt; the price differentials change as your quantities increase. The west system becomes more viable when you get their 30 Lt container.
I note that the west system use 1 to 5 mix wherase others use 1 to 2 can anyone explain this?

pcatterall

Visit site
Haven't you (like thousands of others) caught on yet ?

West 'Systems' (LOL) is a brand-name marketing exercise

There is little doubt that West's can charge over the odds because their name is so well known. But so many of us have used and 'know' their product that it does confer some peace of mind to prospective buyers. Who knows there could be some guys out there sell all sorts of rubish ( reconstituted resins as the real deal?)
West epoxy may be on the thick side for wetting out but may be ideal for epoxy coating?
At the moment I think I may go for the stuff from 'resin-supplies' but only thanks to positive comments on here. I value contributions like the post concerning an application done 8 years ago that certainly adds confidence.

2Tizwoz

Visit site
I have found http://www.resinstore.com/epoxy-resins.html straightforward.

£50.41 for 5 kg. delivered
wp71041727.png

NewB1

Visit site
Prices listed are ex VAT

Just to let you know I have used these guys above (resin store) and not only are the prices very competitve but they are also very hepful and have a vast technical knowledge. I think delivery was only £8.

I bought the EPAFD blend which is a low viscosity and the one shown in the picture is the high viscosity blend.