UFO's (Unusual floating objects)

prv

Visit site
Or possibly a "fish" from a seismic array. These are placed at intervals along an array of hydrophones to ensure it stays at the correct depth. The array may be a mile long, so you can see why they are necessary.

Is that array being towed? If so, it's the kind of thing I meant, albeit I don't know the details.

If it's anchored to the seabed, how does a hydrodynamic shape help? Seems like it would only work in a steady current, which must apply to fairly few sites.

Pete

Neil

Visit site
I once passed through of flock of yellow plastic ducks - I recognised them later from a television add - these must have made their bid for freedom......

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Is that array being towed? If so, it's the kind of thing I meant, albeit I don't know the details.

If it's anchored to the seabed, how does a hydrodynamic shape help? Seems like it would only work in a steady current, which must apply to fairly few sites.

Pete

They are towed behind the survey vessel, which also has airguns going off usually alongside the aft quarter. The airguns go off several times a minute; the whole ship jumps every time, and surveying happens 24/7 (weather permitting). SO, you learn to sleep under pretty difficult circumstances!

Csail

N/A
Visit site
I once passed through of flock of yellow plastic ducks - I recognised them later from a television add - these must have made their bid for freedom......

Seem to remember some tale about getting about a grand for each duck recovered?

prv

Visit site
They are towed behind the survey vessel, which also has airguns going off usually alongside the aft quarter.

Ah, right. My brother, who is a geologist, was doing something similar on land in Canada. They had a lorry with a kind of giant mechanical "foot" that would stamp on the ground to make a bang, then they'd listen to the echoes. I believe explosives are also used if they want a bigger bang, but don't think my brother's work needed that.

Pete

Boreades

Visit site
A true story you couldn't make up

My father-in-law's UFO (unwelcome floating object) was a corpse that came air freight from the USA.

FIL was an Assistant Harbour Master in a small town on the West Coast of Scotland at the time. Special orders were received to go to Prestwick Airport to meet with and assist an unusual request. It was a ex-pat Scot who had made a fortune in California but died there. His last wishes were to be buried at sea, with a large donation to the local town. What arrived at Prestwick was a very expensive oak coffin, suitably weighted in accordance with due custom for such an occasion. Accompanied by the Grieving Widow.

It was collected by undertakers from Glascow for transport the next day to my FIL's harbour to meet the Harbour Master's boat. My FIL thought it strange that the coffin that arrived the next day looked different to what he remembered from the day before, but thought his memory was playing tricks.

So they put to sea, the local Vicar said appropriate words, and hymns were sung. The plank was lifted and the coffin slid gracefully into the sea. But as it hit the water and burst open, my FIL began to realise something was Not Quite Right. All on board, including the Grieving Widow (who started screaming) had the dubious pleasure of seeing the corpse bobbing back up to the surface, at which point the corpse's wig came loose and floated off in one direction while the corpse went in another.

The body was retrieved. All hell broke loose.

It turned out the undertakers from Glascow (being thrifty Scots) had thought it would be a shameful waste of such a lovely expensive coffin, and had substituted a "bottom of the range" pine coffin, but hadn't fastened the lid or weighted the coffin properly.

A proper burial-at-sea was done the very next day with the original coffin rightfully returned from Glascow.

Last edited:

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
My father-in-law's UFO (unwelcome floating object) was a corpse that came air freight from the USA.

FIL was an Assistant Harbour Master in a small town on the West Coast of Scotland at the time. Special orders were received to go to Prestwick Airport to meet with and assist an unusual request. It was a ex-pat Scot who had made a fortune in California but died there. His last wishes were to be buried at sea, with a large donation to the local town. What arrived at Prestwick was a very expensive oak coffin, suitably weighted in accordance with due custom for such an occasion. Accompanied by the Grieving Widow.

It was collected by undertakers from Glascow for transport the next day to my FIL's harbour to meet the Harbour Master's boat. My FIL thought it strange that the coffin that arrived the next day looked different to what he remembered from the day before, but thought his memory was playing tricks.

So they put to sea, the local Vicar said appropriate words, and hymns were sung. The plank was lifted and the coffin slid gracefully into the sea. But as it hit the water and burst open, my FIL began to realise something was Not Quite Right. All on board, including the Grieving Widow (who started screaming) had the dubious pleasure of seeing the corpse bobbing back up to the surface, at which point the corpse's wig came loose and floated off in one direction while the corpse went in another.

The body was retrieved. All hell broke loose.

It turned out the undertakers from Glascow (being thrifty Scots) had thought it would be a shameful waste of such a lovely expensive coffin, and had substituted a "bottom of the range" pine coffin, but hadn't fastened the lid or weighted the coffin properly.

A proper burial-at-sea was done the very next day with the original coffin rightfully returned from Glascow.

Not quite the same, but a distant pal of mine was a Bermudan. Died there and asked for his ashes to be scattered at sea. Suitable fishing boat was enlisted to do the honours, grieving widow clasping urn. They reached the appropriate spot, she went to the side and dropped the entire urn overboard, which bobbed along happily. Apparently it took several attempts before the fishing boat succeeded in ramming and sinking him.

His mates reckon it must prove that alcohol is lighter than seawater.