Types of craft.

paulburton44

www.withamsailingclub.co.uk
I am in the middle of doing a powerboat instructor course and have to do a 10 min talk on different types of craft tomorrow.
I am going to concentrate of displacment and planing hulls because that is the sort of boat the course is aimed at.
We are talking ribs, dories and small work boats. The type of things that dinghy sailing clubs use for safety and committee boats.
Can anyone give me any hints and tips.?

Thanks Paul.

ribdriver

Visit site
As an instructor myself.....

you are on the right lines. Keep it simple.....differnt hull shapes, and pros and cons of each....ie RIBS tend to be seaworthy, especially with a deep Vee hull, but you lose some interior space. Dories have lots of space but tend to slam more. Workboats/displacement boats are good for load carrying but can roll lots.

Make sure you are good at drawing on the whiteboard.......and get your 'pupils' involved. Make sure the content is correct but the course tutor is primarilly looking at your presentation skills. When people go on powerboat courses the theory bits can bore people as they want to be on the water. Have you got any boats on trailers etc you can show them - ie take them outside and look (although wrap up warm!)

Above all keep them entertained but without being a pratt!

Kawasaki

Visit site
I am going to concentrate of displacment and planing hulls because that is the sort of boat the course is aimed at.
We are talking ribs, dories and small work boats.
Can anyone give me any hints and tips.?

Thanks Paul.

I would also mention semi displacement hulls too.

As ribdriver says, get the peeps outside to look at 'real' boats if poss.

Construct the time into 3 parts
Kinda , Beggining, Middle and end.

Explain the pluses and minuses of each hull form.

To get the Peeps involved, which is good thing.

Ask each, don't dwell on it though.
What type of vessels they have helmed or wish to helm.

The time will pass very quickly
So watch out for that!!

I was given the subject of outboard engines.
Lucky twas just up My street!

Trouble was.
They had to hook me off in the end:D

Be precise and concise;)

Smile!

Well occasionally at least.

Keep it light but bright

And speak proper like what I do:rolleyes:

You will be fine
Good Luck:)

hywandrew

Visit site
Presentation

For what it is worth I know nothing about boats, but presenting is what I do for a living, the big trap to avoid is trying to put too much in. 10 minutes is a very short time to present anything. A basic skeleton is

Tell them what you are going to tell them - introduction
Tell them -content
Tell them what you have told them -recap/conclusion

In my training I had to do a ten minute presentation the topic I tried to cover I now deliver frequently and it takes me three days! I would think the topic you have is very similar.